Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Handbrake question. Would it work

Lexie

Country Flag
great_britain
Dont know if its been done before or if it will work but if i got a caliper with integrated handbrake of similar size and got mount brackets made would it work.
A bit of work and head scratching involved

Whats your opinions

Don’t see why not. The big “if” is the mounting question. Given the consequences of failiure I’d be inclined to get some mounting brackets professionally made up rather than DIY’ing them. If it works well and not too pricey I think others will follow!

Professionally made and use the mount bracket points.

Really am tired of s$%t handbrake and every mot time its the same old carry on again and again.

Anybody clued up on earlier Landcruiser handbrake systems? 200 series for example. Thinking if they have integrated handbrake maybe easy swap out?

Yes it's been done before. An Avensis caliper was successfully used by Chris Blake. It all matched up and I saw it working at Lincomb.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes it's been done before. An Avensis caliper was successfully used by Chris Blake. It all matched up and I saw it working at Lincomb.
Did it work well Chris?

Avensis rear discs all seem to narrow from what i see. Not vented

The drum handbrake should work better than a disc as there's more surface area. Discs work better when hot but this isn't an issue for the handbrake of course, or at least it shouldn't be.

"Should" being the key word there towpack. :)

You don't change the disc, you change the caliper. The particular cal that CB found replaced the 80 one. I wouldn't have posted it if it didn't work. It worked off road. That was my point.

A correctly set up 80 handbrake works extremely well. The problem comes when you off road with it. It seems to knock everything out of set. If you only use it on the road then it should work and stay working for a good long time. It's a faff but setting it correctly is the key.

Chris Blake was on here but there were, let's say, circumstances. His post will still be here somewhere. Can't recall what it was called.

You don't change the disc, you change the caliper. The particular cal that CB found replaced the 80 one. I wouldn't have posted it if it didn't work. It worked off road. That was my point.

A correctly set up 80 handbrake works extremely well. The problem comes when you off road with it. It seems to knock everything out of set. If you only use it on the road then it should work and stay working for a good long time. It's a faff but setting it correctly is the key.

Chris Blake was on here but there were, let's say, circumstances. His post will still be here somewhere. Can't recall what it was called.
Not saying your wrong but all i see is solid rear discs, and just assume that you wont get vented in there.

To the breakers it is.

Iv followed the setup of handbrake religously twice and still no good. Mayb good in the late 90s but a useless pain now.

You're not following. Leave the discs alone. You swap the 80 caliper for a very very particular Avensis caliper that has the regular brake piston but also has a mechanical lever that pushes the brake piston out when you pull the lever. It requires a modified handbrake cable and two calipers. I might be able to dig up the thread.

Is the handbrake problem with 80s more so in the Autos than in the Manuals, Iv had Colorado's and 120s and the hand brakes have been Mint, The handbrake in my 12v is Bang on since i rebuilt it with every single part new except the cable.... Admittedly the 24v 80 needs some attention, But iv only seen the handbrake problem posts regarding the 80 series.... But isnt it the exact same set up thats in the Colorado? Is it an 80s thing?

You're not following. Leave the discs alone. You swap the 80 caliper for a very very particular Avensis caliper that has the regular brake piston but also has a mechanical lever that pushes the brake piston out when you pull the lever. It requires a modified handbrake cable and two calipers. I might be able to dig up the thread.[/QUOTE

I do follow and iv no intention to put avensis discs on lol... maybe my description is poor.

Rear disc on an 80 is 18mm quote me if am wrong. Solid rear avensis discs that iv seen are 10/11mm. Useing those sizes add width of pads, i just cant see an avensis caliper designed for a solid disc taking a vented disc on an 80.
Calipers must be off a high powered avensis running vented rear discs to allow to fit.

Is the handbrake problem with 80s more so in the Autos than in the Manuals, Iv had Colorado's and 120s and the hand brakes have been Mint, The handbrake in my 12v is Bang on since i rebuilt it with every single part new except the cable.... Admittedly the 24v 80 needs some attention, But iv only seen the handbrake problem posts regarding the 80 series.... But isnt it the exact same set up thats in the Colorado? Is it an 80s thing?

Its pretty much the same set up only 80's are much heavier and older , both my 90's had crap handbrakes until i replaced all with standard parts including the discs . I figure the drum wears hence the need for a longer dogbone .

Both have been great ever since so the 80 just had 4 new discs and the handbrake is great , time will tell .

Back