Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hard cornering freaked me right out!

bones

I was on my way to work and still getting use to the 120, went into a corner that my x5 would go around easy 65mph no bother. The 120 was probably doing 40 something and the next thing I am hanging on for dear life as the abs/traction control kicked in and I thought the wheel had come off as the front brake grabbed pretty hard on one side. Is that normal? all wheels were on the ground as I hadn't chucked it into the corner that hard, it did a similar thing on the way home too.
Do 120 have some sort of sensor to know body roll is happening?

The BMW is a car pretending to be a 4x4 , but once and only once was i taken by surprise the way my swb 90 objected to a corner at speed and i'm pretty sure i was driving from Ramsey to Douglas on the coast road .

Ok at least I know I have to slow down now then, I don't like it but will have to persevere and get use to it. The x5 handles like it is on rails in comparison and could give cars a run for their money. I probably put it down to the massive negative camber on the rear and that was even with BFG all terrains on it too.

Don't expect a body on frame truck to handle like a monocoque chassis car (like the BMW). However I will say that having driven the 90 series for 14 years, which is very similar underneath to its successor, it can tip along nicely once you know how to drive it. It's all about preparing for a corner, rather than just expecting it to bite and go in.

I have to say my 120 always feels sure footed and I don't remember the traction lights ever coming on with normal driving - but its a truck, so you have to drive it like a truck.

X5 is basically a car.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I remember when I first test drove a 120, I nearly shat myself coming out of a round about.

I often get the traction control light coming on, but only when I'm driving like a arse.

Yes you guys a right, I just didn't expect it to snatch the brake on as it did. I have never had any vehicle ever do that on that particular corner no matter how fast I had been around it. Every day is a school day.

Agree Bob, getting used to it is important. this reminds me of the Avatar scene where riders have to connect to the horses :). when I bought my 200 on my first trip I was doing 40+ on wales roads and felt ok. That time it was new and was full of confidence. After that trip there was a long gap, didnt drive it and read too much about how to drive a Landcruiser carefully and now not confident on throwing it around corners. have to connect with the car properly this summer again. :)

SWAMBO trusts me on the wrong side of the road at up to 100mph through 5 countries and back but on the Island she has a white knuckle grip of the seat and pretty much refuses to watch where we are going , the mountain road of the TT course is considered a motorway .

Shayne I went around the corner at Fishers hill this morning at the outrageous speed of 35mph heading to Castletown and the traction control kicked in again!
I had the camber, castor and tracking done today, young lad said it may have freaked itself out mid corner as the tracking was out on one side or camber or castor I can't remember now I'll have to look at the printout.

Bones - that is definitely not normal behaviour in a Cruiser - we throw our 80 series around on the Manx roads pretty handy, and we're running a lift kit and MT tyres, and rarely have it step out of line. Jan drives it more than me and she regularly scares norms driving hatchbacks on the Coast Road ;-)

Be interested to hear what your settings were... and whether its handling better now.

Out of interest, what tyres are you running - are they a full matched set? You're not running different tyres front and rear or something odd like that?

Not sure where Fishers hill actually is but i'm thinking you were coming from Port Erin way and nothing particularly hazardess springs to mind .

I agree with Dave something is not right and i will guess , because i know sod all about traction control other than i dont want it , that its an alignment issue relating to your rear axle which can only be fixed with new trailing arm and panhard bushes .

I use to be Pretty brutal at times with my 120, Loaded up to the Nuts, And mostly With a trailer in Tow... Never stepped out of line once, in fact i always seemed impressed with how it handled a bit of Stupidity...

Fishers Hill is the one at the end of the Gansey Road, Shayne, on the way into Castletown. Its had diesel spills the odd time, but not heard anything in the last day or two...

Just a thought, Bones - have you tried driving it with the traction control switched off, to see if its an electrical gremlin, rather than a mechanical one?

I'm in the right place , uphill from what i think of as shore road , and it has absolutely nothing to do with beer honest :whistle:

What Karl just said, there is no button for that, so you would need to pull the fuse(s)

Back