Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hard to start in the cold

RichC4

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Took the 90 out today and it was a real bugger to get started. I waited for the glow plugs and then tried to start, just turned over. After about 10-15 seconds it finally caught but then died a few seconds later. Another ~10 seconds of cranking got it going. It was a bit rough sounding for a few seconds like it was about to die again then it idled up as normal.

Any ideas what's likely to be wrong, or is this just old diesel issues? My other car is petrol so just starts in the winter.

Could be a multitude of Things but next time you start it, Try Priming the fuel filter housing Plunger (on top) First, till it feels firm.. Then try it,..... Eliminate fuel running back/ air in the system etc.... Is there white smoke at all when she does Fire????

No smoke that I saw. Starts on the button once warmed up a bit or in warmer weather.

Good call on the glow plugs I've not checked them, the light comes on then goes off after a couple of seconds which suggests that the circuit is at least partly working.
What's the easiest way to check if they are working?

Temp today was around 0C, it was snowing but not mega cold.

I think you can check the resistance of them to see if they're OK, details of correct resistance should be in the service manual I think?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd charge the battery or stick a booster on it first just to be sure its not getting old and tired .

A similar maddening problem with my boat turned out to be a failing starter solenoid .

It turned over fine, for quite some time in fact. The battery health indicators are also still showing good. I think I'll have a poke at the glow plugs before splashing a couple of hundred or so on batteries.

If you haven’t, Try stepping on the accelerator a bit during cranking…

Last edited:
When my Lj78 wouldnt start in the cold I used to pour a kettle of boiling hot water over the buzzbar and block, started on the button then.

Was having a poke earlier, I think the intercooler needs to come off to get at the glow plugs, anyone tried without or shall I just get it done?

Yes, got a new set and replaced them. Old ones seemed OK on the multimeter, but for the cost I figured why not just swap them out.

Back