Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hardened shafts for the 80

Mud_dog

Evening all, was pointed in the direction of this forum after speaking to someone else and was told it was far better than some others......

So with t parts being expensive like cvs shafts etc is it poss to get hardened stuff like Ashcroft do for land rover?

I know the cost at first would be high if there are such products but the theroy being that once bought they should last a greater time over the standard items

Thanks in advance

Chris

The Toyota parts are good quality but pricey as you say. The only stronger aftermarket option I'm aware of are Longfields from the US. They make chrome-moly (IIRC) CVs and half-shafts which are a bit softer than OEM but very tough. They're warranteed against any breakage with tyres up to 44" or something like that. Have a look at the Longfield Superaxles website.
Because they're softer than OEM they are not recommended for normal high mileage road use as they wear out in 20-30k miles versus the 100k or so for OEM. Not quite what you were after but I'm not aware of anything that quite fits that bill - OEM is probably the best bet for long life AFAIK.

Hi and welcome to the forum. You have definitely come to the right place, plenty of info on here.

Regarding the drive shafts, yes you can get Longfield shafts and CVs which are stronger but will not last as long as Toyota ones. You can get Toyota CVs from Ian Rubie on here for a respectable price and I understand that Milners stock decent aftermarket shafts now as well.

Beat me to it Andrew...

Thanks for the replys ....... Now that's just annoying cos you can you can buy hardened stuff for the lamo rover and yet not worry about mileage to much , thats not fair in my eyes lol

Will be honest and say I am still in two minds if to buy an 80 as I've been told parts are starting to get hard to find at a sensible price. If I was to buy one I want to make sure I can keep it on the road and in good order.

The idea I have at the mo is to turn it in a oz tray back /ute kinda thing . It don't think it would do great mileage as its a toy , not a daily driver .

With the standard shafts and cv,s can you get away with locking the front diff while on full lock? I know some say you shouldn't buy with the Ashcroft I had in my lamo Landry it could and did so many times I've lost count.

And what sort of money are we talking for replacement standard parts from the people you know, not asking to the nearest pound but just a guide

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris, for many years I've found that Shot Peening OEM shafts, diff. gears etc massively increases the life and fatigue
resistance to the parts. A quick 'google' will explain more rather than typing it all out here.
As an example my Salisbury axled buggy has had the same shot peened front shafts for 19 years now, they weren't quite
brand new when peened and they still seemed visually good last time they were out.
Cheers Chris S.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
the longfield stuff isn't warranted for road use, although there's nothing to stop you doing so. The cv's will wear out more quickly than oem, but how quickly i don't know, just more quickly than 100,000 or so miles. Never come across anyone on the ih8mud forum having actually worn out a set and there are a few who have them there.

The cv's are/were made by the same folk who make the ashcroft cv's rockford acromatic in illinois, presumably with the same heat treating etc. I don't, therefore, see why they should wear out any more quickly than longfield cv's. Longfield stuff is warranted for life, whereas, if i remember correctly, ashcroft stuff is only warranted for 4 years or something. You're probably not going to wear out a set of cv's in 4 years, so maybe that's the difference.

You've probably discovered already, but 80 cv's are much larger than rover cv's incl. the early aeu2522 type, so should be a bit stronger in standard for anyway.

Chris, I think we need to take a step back here for a moment. You are looking for stronger parts for a vehicle that you don't yet own - based on your experience of the Landrover product. It's not really the right starting point to be fair. Even with pretty standard replacement parts like the HDK CVs from Milner, you are unlikely to break anything like as many as you probably have previously. As for half shafts, if you break one of those then you are truly an animal. For typical off roading stuff, you have to go some to bust an 80. If you go at it like a nutter then it's possible to break it. But once you get some good tyres on there and get to grips with the triple lockers you might find that you don't need to give it quite as many beans.

I have to ask why would you want to turn full lock with the front locker in? You can as a matter of fact if the ground is loose enough but it's not something that you generally need to do to get unstuck. This is absolutely not a question of a Cruiser being better than a Landy, it's simply a question of them being different.

Welcome to the best Landcruiser forum on the net.

Chris

If you have genuine CVs in your 80 which are in good condition you will find that they tend to stand up to a fair amount of abuse. I would only recommend aftermarket shafts only if you have 37" tyres and really push if off road. When we say they wear out more quickly we mean they wont last for 200k miles like the originals can if taken care of.

Parts are more expensive than for LRs but you will be needing less of them, so the theory is you spend less time fixing it and more time driving it, but pay a little more when things do go wrong. I have not heard of any parts that you cant get from Toyota, we have our own selection of genuine part suppliers on here to help out with prices. Milners stock plenty of non genuine and genuine parts at great prices, however some parts are not too reliable. Mods are available, but best to check prices on the bits you will want beforehand so you know what your getting yourself into.

Yes your right I don't own one but I am thinking that I might have seen the light :D
And to be fair I've done a lot of comps so used to having to up grade..... And note the words having to...... So I don't really know much different. I am far from a crash and bash merchant I just like knowing stuff is not going to break when I need it most, I am more than willing to learn and take on people's comments about there strength as at the end of the day if I don't have to spend a fortune on axles it can only be a good thing.

35's are really the biggest I want to go really, fed up with the proxy or and wanted a decent change. I know there are modded toyotas about but nowhere nere as many lr,s .

The other thing thing is to decide is petrol or a weasel ?

Thanks

Do what i did to my last cruiser

Buy a part time 4x4 kit from Australia (marks4x4) think it was about £450 delivered . get it fitted . And then you have no wear on the front axle because it becomes RWD until you lock the centre diff . Then You can fit whatever cv's you wanted

Just a thought

That's a lot to spend to save 15% fuel though. You could just fit standard free wheeling hubs for a fraction and perhaps get 5%.

Where does the large disc go Geordie, I can't fathom that bit. Does it lock the front prop somehow to give drive to the rear wheels with no load from the CVs?

Chris

Goes in the transfer and replaces the viscous coupling ..

if you just fitted free wheeling hubs you'd still be spinning the axle over

only down side is with the free wheeling hubs fitted the centre caps don't fit ..
unless you do what i did and cut the centre of the cap out ..
Actually looked quite good
untitled.jpg

Think I will end up with the standard stuff for a while and see how it goes . It seems I had just got old habits stuck in my head , when having land rovers it more of a case you have to up rate or it's breaks but been asking about and this does not seem the case with Toyota.

Back