Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hardy Spicer Recommendations

IRLGW

I can't complain having never changed a Hardy Spicer since I bought the truck 70k miles ago, and don't know the previous but with 255k on the clock they are beginning to wear.

What brand are people going with and how long do they typically last? Has anyone bothered balancing their propshafts?

I noticed a low rumbling/drone from the truck the last while and it migrated into a constant squeak. Now I think they are about to break!

I had the front propshaft on my Landover let go one day going up a steep hill. It nearly came through the drivers footwell and I can still feel the pain in the soles of my feet.

The options available on roughtrax look cheaper than anything I ever bought before so I'm wondering if they from are a proven Manufacturer..

Thanks Night, iirc Toyo are the same as the wheel bearing manufacturer? Also Are there two different types - I have seen some at 29mm and some at 32mm I think it was.

Historically the Milner Toyo ones have been rubbish. More than a few cases of them lasting a very short time. Personally, I wouldn't put one in mine based on the trusted opinions of several experienced members on here.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dammit i figured Toyo was a trusted name so mine are ordered :violin:

Not confusing Toyo with Koyo are you Shayne? Lots of Koyo wheel bearings but not seen Toyo ones. Greasable yokes from Roughtrax are less than £20 each

That must be it , never mind if it stops the knock i will be happy and its not like its hard to change them .

I used the roughtrax greasable ones on mine - no issues so far. That will have cursed it now!

Freig it. I did get mixed up with Toyo v Koyo FFS! One rear one is in and fitted ok. I don't off-road so here's to hoping..

Fitted Toyo ones to the prop a couple of years ago, didn't realise they had a bad rep at the time - but they've done about 15,000 so far, mostly road miles and no noises from them to date. As Shayne said, not a hard job to renew them in any case. I'll likely fit greaseable ones as and when these fail...

Milners are greasable the nipple screws into a bearing cap and the spider carries it through . The Toyo ones i got from them anyway ?

When its that tight it needs some lubrication or things will stiffen and jam see

Back