Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Has anyone fitted the egr blank plate.

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys
I'm just waiting for the weather to change and do my egr clean and blank.
I have ordered replacement gaskets
Screenshot_20200215_140142_com.android.chrome.jpg

]
I have looked every were for the egr blank plate but only coming up with Australia and stupid postal prices.
Since I don't no the part number I need has any body done this fix and do they have a link to the part I need being the correct blank plate with 7mm hole.
Hope all this makes sense to members on what I am asking for.[/ATTACH] Screenshot_20200220_165900_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Last edited:
Hello guys
I have ordered replacement gasketsView attachment 164014
]
I have looked every were for the egr blank plate but only coming up with Australia and stupid postal prices.
Since I don't no the part number I need has any body done this fix and do they have a link to the part I need being the correct blank plate with 7mm hole.
Hope all this makes sense to members on what I am asking for.[/ATTACH] View attachment 164015
I have fitted a blanking plate and a oil catch can vented to air , I fitted the full blanking plate cos I have the ozbush manual mapper so I dont get any engine light on the dash , I have had the blanking plate in since November 2015 and I cleaned the egr and its elbow but not the inlet manifold cos it was not that dirty and it was a lot more time and work to do the manifold , engine runs a lot smoother without exhaust gas and crankcase fumes going back in the engine and robbing it of cool air with more oxygen . I got my plate for about £4 and about £6 postage from Australia . I got the plate with the slots instead of mounting holes so I could slot it in with out having to remove the egr cooler , following ozbush site instructions on the ozbush website . it took me about an hour cos I had difficulty undoing the common rail fuel plug as it is in the way when slotting the plate in . I used the old gaskets as I was care full when taking them apart , they are metal with a black coating .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have fitted a blanking plate and a oil catch can vented to air , I fitted the full blanking plate cos I have the ozbush manual mapper so I dont get any engine light on the dash , I have had the blanking plate in since November 2015 and I cleaned the egr and its elbow but not the inlet manifold cos it was not that dirty and it was a lot more time and work to do the manifold , engine runs a lot smoother without exhaust gas and crankcase fumes going back in the engine and robbing it of cool air with more oxygen . I got my plate for about £4 and about £6 postage from Australia . I got the plate with the slots instead of mounting holes so I could slot it in with out having to remove the egr cooler , following ozbush site instructions on the ozbush website . it took me about an hour cos I had difficulty undoing the common rail fuel plug as it is in the way when slotting the plate in . I used the old gaskets as I was care full when taking them apart , they are metal with a black coating .

Thanks for a quick reply and yes I have been told the engine runs smoothly when egr cleaned.
My 120 has 213000 miles and probably never had an egr clean so not sure how bad or clogged it is going to be.
I don't really want to delve in the manifold clean and since the car runs fine just a bit tappety sounding but still has a good power output when the pedal is pressed..
I watch (4 by four diesels) on YouTube in Australia and show you very good videos and give good information..
Do u have a link to the plate you bought to start me on my journey weather permmiting.
Thanks Tony for your input.

Hi Tony sorry for the late reply , I got mine from egr blanks Australia on ebay , I remember contacting them about the high post cost and told them to post it me in a standed envelope they told me its at my risk , they sent it me in a plastic envelope with the plate in a thin cardboard cover and the postage was £6 instead of about £18 at the time in 2015 , I was still living in the UK at the time , but in 29 November 2018 (justed checked my ebay acount) I got one for my cousin for his Hilux and told them the same about posting and it cost £3.50 for the plate and about £5 for post to here in Cyprus , it was the cutout slot type with the small tag that you bend 90 degrees and hold it with long nosed pliers and just slip it up in place where your diagram on the engine side of the egr cooler if you look on the ozbush website it gives you step by step photo instructions for slipping the plate in in a few minutes but it took me a hour coz I couldn't get the plug for the fuel rail off and I dident want to bust the connector , funny thing on the hilux the release tab on the connector is on top so is easy to do , on my 120 the release tab is on the engine side and is not visible and I kept pressing it at the bottom thinking thats where the release tab was . I too watch Ants videos on youtube he gives great advice .

Hi Tony sorry for the late reply , I got mine from egr blanks Australia on ebay , I remember contacting them about the high post cost and told them to post it me in a standed envelope they told me its at my risk , they sent it me in a plastic envelope with the plate in a thin cardboard cover and the postage was £6 instead of about £18 at the time in 2015 , I was still living in the UK at the time , but in 29 November 2018 (justed checked my ebay acount) I got one for my cousin for his Hilux and told them the same about posting and it cost £3.50 for the plate and about £5 for post to here in Cyprus , it was the cutout slot type with the small tag that you bend 90 degrees and hold it with long nosed pliers and just slip it up in place where your diagram on the engine side of the egr cooler if you look on the ozbush website it gives you step by step photo instructions for slipping the plate in in a few minutes but it took me a hour coz I couldn't get the plug for the fuel rail off and I dident want to bust the connector , funny thing on the hilux the release tab on the connector is on top so is easy to do , on my 120 the release tab is on the engine side and is not visible and I kept pressing it at the bottom thinking thats where the release tab was . I too watch Ants videos on youtube he gives great advice .

Thanks for the information tony and even when you say postage was £18 thats cheap compared to postage costs today.
I have asked 2 different sellers in Australia for postage costsand no reply.
I have found one on ebay uk but doesn't state exactly what engine its for.

My engine is 1kd,j120 what engine is yours just to confirm correct fitting .
Many thanks tony.

Thanks for the information tony and even when you say postage was £18 thats cheap compared to postage costs today.
I have asked 2 different sellers in Australia for postage costsand no reply.
I have found one on ebay uk but doesn't state exactly what engine its for.

My engine is 1kd,j120 what engine is yours just to confirm correct fitting .
Many thanks tony.
Mine is the same 1kd-ftv engine its a late 2009 invincible UK spec , one of the last 120s that were made before the 150s went on sale , I have just had a look on Ebay for you and put my old UK postcode and there is a company in Hampshire selling them for £3.99 with free post to the UK called bertye1958 , it is not a slotted one but if you follow ozbush website instructions you can cut slots in it and just slip it in instead of taking the egr cooler off to fit which is a bigger job , and if you have 2004 upwards 120 you will have to drill a 7mm hole unless you get a ozbush manual mapper , hope that info helps .
ps also just seen one with slots and a 7mm hole and the fitting tab (which makes fitting a lot easier ) for £5.12 and £5.63 postage from a company called Kaon4x4 in Australia which is a company Ants on youtube recomends , just type in 1kd-ftv egr blanking plate on ebay and you will get them up .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine is the same 1kd-ftv engine its a late 2009 invincible UK spec , one of the last 120s that were made before the 150s went on sale , I have just had a look on Ebay for you and put my old UK postcode and there is a company in Hampshire selling them for £3.99 with free post to the UK called bertye1958 , it is not a slotted one but if you follow ozbush website instructions you can cut slots in it and just slip it in instead of taking the egr cooler off to fit which is a bigger job , and if you have 2004 upwards 120 you will have to drill a 7mm hole unless you get a ozbush manual mapper , hope that info helps .
ps also just seen one with slots and a 7mm hole and the fitting tab (which makes fitting a lot easier ) for £5.12 and £5.63 postage from a company called Kaon4x4 in Australia which is a company Ants on youtube recomends , just type in 1kd-ftv egr blanking plate on ebay and you will get them up .

Funny you should mention the 3.99 ebay one as that's the one I have ordered just to see if its any good.
Its only 1.5mm thick but its been sent out already. I will order a new gasket just in case mine is bad as big job to get held up that far into the fix.
You have been a big help Tony so thank you for your good advice and information.

Funny you should mention the 3.99 ebay one as that's the one I have ordered just to see if its any good.
Its only 1.5mm thick but its been sent out already. I will order a new gasket just in case mine is bad as big job to get held up that far into the fix.
You have been a big help Tony so thank you for your good advice and information.
No problem Tony always glad to help , beware not to over tighten the two 10mm nuts on the egr cooler pipe on the engine as they can snap off I think its 10 foot pounds only, my plate was 1.5mm thick as long as they are stainless steel its fine , if it were any thicker the two 10mm nuts would not get enough bite on the threads on the egr cooler pipe and exhaust gas could leak .

No problem Tony always glad to help , beware not to over tighten the two 10mm nuts on the egr cooler pipe on the engine as they can snap off I think its 10 foot pounds only, my plate was 1.5mm thick as long as they are stainless steel its fine , if it were any thicker the two 10mm nuts would not get enough bite on the threads on the egr cooler pipe and exhaust gas could leak .

Thanks for the tip Tony and I have ordered the £3.99 plate from ebay see if it works.
Cheap find if it does. :text-thankyoublue:

I noticed that some plates have a small hole. Assume this is to avoid the management light issue and need for remapping but will still allow gases through albeit greatly reduced. What's the consensus on which type to use?

Mick W, see TONYCY11 earlier post where 2004 on have 7mm hole. Just got mine a couple of days ago from oz as TONY recommended, still in garage on the to do list.
Came pretty quick in a cardboard envelope as TONY says.

I noticed that some plates have a small hole. Assume this is to avoid the management light issue and need for remapping but will still allow gases through albeit greatly reduced. What's the consensus on which type to use?
Yes you are right if you dont want a remap or fit a ozbush mapper so that you can fit a full blank plate you will need to fit a plate with a 7mm hole any thing smaller than a 7mm hole without a remap or ozbush mapper will lead to a engine light ,

Is the 1kd, ftv engine the same engine as my 1kd,j120 as I'm pretty sure it looks very similar untill taken apart.

Hello guys
I have ordered replacement gasketsView attachment 164014
]
Hope all this makes sense to members on what I am asking for.[/ATTACH] View attachment 164015

Hello guys.
The egr valve in the diagram above was given to my by toyota with my registration but after planning my egr clean last weekend I found my egr is nothing like the diagram above.
I thought the 1kd, ftv engine was the same as mine.
I watched a hour long clip on YouTube on how to clean your egr valve

After studying the clip its nothing like mine even down to removing the top intercooler cover.
Mine are more difficult to remove as in bolt positions but the electric connector plugs are easy.
I can't find a clip anywhere that shows my engine even tho it's a 1kd,j120 engine.
Anyone come across this before and if any video clips or pictures available I will be very happy to watch.
I have just finished work now for god knows how long so have plenty of time to study my engine.

Hello guys.
The egr valve in the diagram above was given to my by toyota with my registration but after planning my egr clean last weekend I found my egr is nothing like the diagram above.
I thought the 1kd, ftv engine was the same as mine.
I watched a hour long clip on YouTube on how to clean your egr valve

After studying the clip its nothing like mine even down to removing the top intercooler cover.
Mine are more difficult to remove as in bolt positions but the electric connector plugs are easy.
I can't find a clip anywhere that shows my engine even tho it's a 1kd,j120 engine.
Anyone come across this before and if any video clips or pictures available I will be very happy to watch.
I have just finished work now for god knows how long so have plenty of time to study my engine.
what year is your 120 , if its the Fourby4Diesel video that engine is in a Hilux , it is very similar in that its a 1KD but is different in the the way the wiring loom around the engine is a lot more complicated to undue and move out of the way on my 120 , I took the EGR valve off with the wiring still in place which made it harder coz the upside down bolts that attach the EGR valve to the cooler are very awkward to get undone , I managed to undue them by unplugging the injectors and unbolting the bolt that holds the wiring loom to the EGR valve , lucky that I had a thin 10mm ring spanner to get the one undone next to the cam cover coz my ratchet spanner was too wide to undue it , any one watching me undoing it would have thought I was having sex with the engine coz I had to lie on top of the engine to get at it , If I have to do it again like change the injectors I think I will take off the EGR valve in three parts after I take off the throttle body by undoing the three nuts off the bolts that hold the three parts that you see cleaned in the video ,Ants in the video took off the EGR valve off in just over half an hour , It took me one and a half hours to remove it coz of them upside down bolts , one hour to clean the inlet of the inlet manifold and two hours to clean and reassemble the EGR valve and fit back on the engine , and believe me its a horrible black gunge that sticks to every thing it touches , I am very happy I wont have to clean it again coz I put it a full blanking plate , but I put copper ease on all the nuts and bolts so when I do the injectors they will come off with ease . I recon I got five times more black gunge than the black powder soot Ant found and mine had done 70k miles when I did mine , I fitted a oil catch can at the same time I put in the blanking plate a few days after the EGR clean . cost about £40 pounds altogether in parts for the catch can , silicone pipework and blanking plate .

what year is your 120 , if its the Fourby4Diesel video that engine is in a Hilux , it is very similar in that its a 1KD but is different in the the way the wiring loom around the engine is a lot more complicated to undue and move out of the way on my 120 , I took the EGR valve off with the wiring still in place which made it harder coz the upside down bolts that attach the EGR valve to the cooler are very awkward to get undone , I managed to undue them by unplugging the injectors and unbolting the bolt that holds the wiring loom to the EGR valve , lucky that I had a thin 10mm ring spanner to get the one undone next to the cam cover coz my ratchet spanner was too wide to undue it , any one watching me undoing it would have thought I was having sex with the engine coz I had to lie on top of the engine to get at it , If I have to do it again like change the injectors I think I will take off the EGR valve in three parts after I take off the throttle body by undoing the three nuts off the bolts that hold the three parts that you see cleaned in the video ,

Hi Tony.
Yep that was the exact video clip I watched fourby4diesel.
When you got your throttle body off was it clean or coked up. I managed to get a look at mine and looked pretty clean considering my 213000.
My 120 is 55 plate and if I have no machanic experience is the egr something I can do at home myself.

Thanks Tony.

Hi Tony.
When you got your throttle body off was it clean or coked up. I managed to get a look at mine and looked pretty clean considering my 213000.
My 120 is 55 plate and if I have no machanic experience is the egr something I can do at home myself.

Thanks Tony.
Its very clean on the side facing you but a bit dirty behind it , its the from there on in where the gunge starts , if you lift up the flap on the throttle body with a long screwdriver you could try shining a torch to see how bad the EGR valve is , and it stays bad right till the elbow and entry of the inlet manifold .

Hi Tony.

Thanks Tony.
if you are handy with tools and have a good set of tools , sockets wobble extensions spanners etc sure its a job you can do at home , its not hard to do but its time consuming including the cleaning and refitting .

if you are handy with tools and have a good set of tools , sockets wobble extensions spanners etc sure its a job you can do at home , its not hard to do but its time consuming including the cleaning and refitting .

I have some good tools eh, sockets rachet spanners etc. So looking at my throttle body was an elushion as it looks clean but different story further down the line.
I will try my

I have tools, rachet spanners, sockets etc but looks like I only need possibly 10,14 May be 14in spanners and sockets.

I have some good tools eh, sockets rachet spanners etc. So looking at my throttle body was an elushion as it looks clean but different story further down the line.
I will try my

I have tools, rachet spanners, sockets etc but looks like I only need possibly 10,14 May be 14in spanners and sockets.
you will need 10mm , 12mm sockets and the same with spanners if your engine is the same as mine , try to use 6 point sockets coz 12 point sockets can round the nuts off with them being small if they are tight as some on mine were quite tight , wobble extensions help with undoing the three bolts that hold the elbow of the EGR to the inlet manifold , Tony its not a hard job its more a fiddly job , and coz its a high engine bay I had to use something to stand on and at some points lay on top of the engine to get at things coz I am only 5 foot 7 inches tall . oh and try to pack the side of the cold engine you are working on with rags coz its easy to drop nuts and bolts and they seem to just vanish and never to be found again .

Back