Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Has anyone fitted this

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
I bought this drl harness a few weeks ago but never got round to fitting u till today.
My problem is I followed the instructions as simple install but even after putting the

Black=negative terminal
Red= positive terminal
White = side light for dimmer function.

I could not get the lights to work even tho if if I fit the lights directly to the battery bypassing the harness the work perfectly.

Is this because the landcruiser 120 has 2 batteries.

Any ideas.

Screenshot_20191230_151808_com.ebay.mobile.jpg Screenshot_20191230_151854_com.ebay.mobile.jpg Screenshot_20191230_151840_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Hi Tony,

I assume you connected the Blue to ACC?

Also it seems to show the yellow(s) to the left and right side lights and the white to the Headlight? Does it not? Presumably it also makes a difference as to whether your dipped and main beam are on the same bulb or on different bulbs? On my 105 there are 2 bulbs in which case it would need to (presumably) go on the dipped rather than the full.

What exactly is happening with the current install? Do they turn on with the ACC/ Side lights/ Main lights/ full beam or not at all?

While the 220v has two batteries, they're connected in parallel source are effectively 1 battery.

Have you connected up the other wires?

Hi Tony,

Also it seems to show the yellow(s) to the left and right side lights and the white to the Headlight? Does it not? Presumably it also makes a difference as to whether your dipped and main beam are on the same bulb or on different bulbs? On my 105 there are 2 bulbs in which case it would need to (presumably) go on the dipped rather than the full.

What exactly is happening with the current install? Do they turn on with the ACC/ Side lights/ Main lights/ full beam or not at all?

I have connected to battery terminals as stated and no did not use the acc as permanent live as works off voltage.
For example connect to battery and will not work until it gets to arround 13.3v.
It will stay on even when the power is cut but will switch off around 12.6v apparently.
If i connect to my side lights it dims to around 30% so i don't blind people in the dark.
All the connections i will not need just battery terminals and side light switch.

If i need to connect to an acc point were is it and do i need it.

Thanks for your replies .

Hi Tony,

They should be on just off the battery as voltage operation works the module.

They should be on just off the battery as voltage operation works the module.

The yellow wire can be connected to the turn signal or lights depends on your purpose but the side light or headlight is just a dimmer feature.

Clips on YouTube just show connection to + - on the battery and side or headlight for night time.

Not all wires are needed.

Im only asking about this because no clips on YouTube show a car or 4x4 with 2 batteries hence i just thought the module will not work.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tony, I don't think you are getting the gist of all this, you put a post up a few weeks ago and you could not get them working, But if you get a dedicated unit you need to wire exactly as it says in the diagram and I cannot see that they will have a voltage sensing to knock off at a certain voltage.
I think I said last time you can get them working with a £2 relay.
PS on the picture of the Module it shows two boxes one 12V and one 24V but they are not marked which one have you got the 24 volt one ?

I have connected to battery terminals as stated and no did not use the acc as permanent live as works off voltage.
For example connect to battery and will not work until it gets to arround 13.3v.
It will stay on even when the power is cut but will switch off around 12.6v apparently.
If i connect to my side lights it dims to around 30% so i don't blind people in the dark.
All the connections i will not need just battery terminals and side light switch.

Just to check, is the above what IS happening, or what you understand SHOULD be happening?

The modules that work off voltage sensing are, apparently, somewhat fickle, and personally I would fit a harness that used the ACC to sense when the lights needed to come on.

However if you want to keep trying with the module you have then it would be helpful to have a better understanding of the various testing conditions you are working through. i.e have you tried starting the car and reving the engine until the battery is over 13.3v?

Just to check, is the above what IS happening, or what you understand SHOULD be happening?

The modules that work off voltage sensing are, apparently, somewhat fickle, and personally I would fit a harness that used the ACC to sense when the lights needed to come on.

However if you want to keep trying with the module you have then it would be helpful to have a better understanding of the various testing conditions you are working through. i.e have you tried starting the car and reving the engine until the battery is over 13.3v?

Just a puzzle to me as something so simple can confuse the life out of you.
I have a voltage meter/clock/inside temp monitor on my inside mirror and it was reading 14.4v when I was waiting for them to come on.
Will try and find a link to show what I am trying to achieve.

Tony, I don't think you are getting the gist of all this, you put a post up a few weeks ago and you could not get them working, But if you get a dedicated unit you need to wire exactly as it says in the diagram and I cannot see that they will have a voltage sensing to knock off at a certain voltage.
PS on the picture of the Module it shows two boxes one 12V and one 24V but they are not marked which one have you got the 24 volt one ?

Sorry for the mix up ste but last time I posted about my drl lights they were just cheap lights that fitted over my headlight.

This time I have fitted eagle eye bulbs in the void next to my fog lights.
I have had the correct harness for weeks as was waiting for my bulbs to arrive..

I think either I am missing the point or people are not getting what I mean.

I have a harness with different wires for different features.
I only want the direct feed to the battery and dimmer of my side lights at night. All clips on YouTube show the same thing more or less.

This clip is an example of my point.

Sorry ste i have no idea as when i bought it a few weeks ago i dont remember getting instructions with it as it states on the unit itself
Think the purpose of the 2 boxers is so can be used either way.

After watching numerous clips on YouTube i have concluded i have an ebay special.????
Faulty..

This clip is an example of my point.

Tony, the module in the video seems to be different from your module (based on the number of visible wires and the wiring diagram on the side of the box), and may therefore not necessarily be wired up the same. Did you get any other instructions with the unit? Or was there any explanation with the advert? And are you absolutely sure this is a voltage sensing unit or are you assuming it is based on YouTube?

Also, is there a fuse on the positive feed, because I can't see one in the photos. If not, put one in there ASAP.

IIRC Toyota have a habit of using a switched headlight power source that is a bit different to other stuff, and thus making it difficult to wire up as you would in other vehicles.

May need to get the multimeter out and trace which are always on power wise to sort out the switching.

Finally sorted my problem out after some research and watching different video clips.
You guys were correct with the acc blue wire as only found 2 clips were the acc wire was used.
My theory is all different installs are different but sorted now.

My fix.

After my research I went looking for an acc point in the engine fuse box.
I found an acc relay numbered R4
But it was a permanent live after testing with my probe.
After testing all other fuses with the engine off I found number 23 to be my fix.
With ignition in second position I went back to test number 23 fuse again and bingo I was live.
Retested with the acc connected to the fuse and lights came on.
With the acc wire attached I turned the engine off and after 10 seconds the lights turned off.

My second phase was the dimmer light switch connection.
I removed the battery on the passenger side as this is auxiliary battery and connected the white wire to the ( green wire) on my side light.
I will not lie you don't get much room to move even with the battery removed.
I turned on my engine and drl, s came on.
I turned on my sidelights and they dimmed as supposed to.

So my install if you use the harness above is as follows.

Red wire from harness to battery = positive terminal
Black wire from harness to battery = negative terminal
Blue acc wire from harness to fuse number 23.
White wire from harness to side light (green wire)

Other wires on the harness are optional

Thanks guys for your input and my apologies for not listening to some of you and assuming I was correct.
I blame YouTube.

Screenshot_20191231_123652_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191231_123708_com.android.chrome.jpg IMG_20191231_131232.jpg IMG_20191231_131345.jpg IMG_20191231_131411.jpg IMG_20191231_131415.jpg IMG_20191231_131425.jpg IMG_20191231_131628.jpg IMG_20191231_131707.jpg

Last edited:
Finally sorted my problem out after some research and watching different video clips.
You guys were correct with the acc blue wire as only found 2 clips were the acc wire was used.
My theory is all different installs are different but sorted now.

My fix.

After my research I went looking for an acc point in the engine fuse box.
I found an acc relay numbered R4
But it was a permanent live after testing with my probe.
After testing all other fuses with the engine off I found number 23 to be my fix.
With ignition in second position I went back to test number 23 fuse again and bingo I was live.
Retested with the acc connected to the fuse and lights came on.
With the acc wire attached I turned the engine off and after 10 seconds the lights turned off.

My second phase was the dimmer light switch connection.
I removed the battery on the passenger side as this is auxiliary battery and connected the white wire to the ( green wire) on my side light.
I will not lie you don't get much room to move even with the battery removed.
I turned on my engine and drl, s came on.
I turned on my sidelights and they dimmed as supposed to.

So my install if you use the harness above is as follows.

Red wire from harness to battery = positive terminal
Black wire from harness to battery = negative terminal
Blue acc wire from harness to fuse number 23.
White wire from harness to side light (green wire)

Other wires on the harness are optional

Thanks guys for your input and my apologies for not listening to some of you and assuming I was correct.
I blame YouTube.

View attachment 162700 View attachment 162701 View attachment 162748 View attachment 162755 View attachment 162756 View attachment 162757 View attachment 162758 View attachment 162759 View attachment 162764
Why have you put the Green wire to the side lights ? surely you need to go to the headlights as you need DRL's when on side lights and then when you put dipped/high the go dim.
also what do you have the fogs on ?

Why have you put the Green wire to the side lights ? surely you need to go to the headlights as you need DRL's when on side lights and then when you put dipped/high the go dim.
also what do you have the fogs on ?

My fog lights are still factory fitted.
I have put the white wire to the green live on the side lights.
I have led headlights with fan assist so was easier to connect to side lights.
My thinking is if it's dark enough to put side lights on then drl lights will be to bright.
I have led bulbs in my fog lights and come on with my sidelights anyway
I just went with the easy option.
It all works as I wanted it to so I'm finally happy..

My fog lights are still factory fitted.
I have put the white wire to the green live on the side lights.
I have led headlights with fan assist so was easier to connect to side lights.
My thinking is if it's dark enough to put side lights on then drl lights will be to bright.
I have led bulbs in my fog lights and come on with my sidelights anyway
I just went with the easy option.
It all works as I wanted it to so I'm finally happy..
But you should not have your Fogs coming on with your side lights as they are designed to be put on in Fog or heavy Snow, the idea is when you turn on the ignition the DRL's come on but if you put the headlights on they either dim or go out.
I would watch out when you go for a MOT as they will fail it if the Fogs come on with sides

Back