Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Has my KZJ78 got a LSD

graysworld

Simply as the title says.

How do I know if my KZJ78 as a limited slip rear diff? I know there is no diff lock.

Regards Graeme

Simply as the title says.

How do I know if my KZJ78 as a limited slip rear diff? I know there is no diff lock.

Regards Graeme
What Snowbound said, plus if it's got an LSD there should be a sticker on the back of the diff that simply has the letters LSD printed on it, but you may need to clean the back of the diff to see the label, it should be nearish to the filler plug.

Let us know if you find it. :thumbup:

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the vin plate theres a code which will give you the info.. kzj to lj are different so only kzj codes will give you the definite info.

I will check my kzj71 which has a lsd tomorow if it's not the same code then you could have an open diff, as you know you don't have a locker.. :thumbup:

Gray,

Look on the VIN Plate, under the bonnet, on the bulkhead just left of the fuel filter. All along the bottom is a number that says something like
24V FK10 G975 R150F
It all means something: the last group is your gearbox; the group before that is your diff and that's the one you need to look at. G is light duty 8 inch ring gear, 97 is a code for the gear ratio (look on the table in post #2 from Mud - but it isn't a comprehensive list). Now the answer to your question; if the last digit in this group is odd then you have an LSD, it will be 3 or 5. If not then your diff is open. Let us know what you have got.

Sometimes the sticker falls off or whatever. Another way to check is this: The easiest way to tell if you have an open differential is to jack up the car and spin one of the rear tires. If the other wheel spins in the opposite direction, you have an open differential. If it spins in the same direction, you have a limited slip differential, or LSD.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the replies...just got it back from having the cam belt changed so haven't jacked it up yet but here is the number from the VIN plate.

Axle/Trans A343F G284 So can someone decipher that for me please.

Regards Graeme

A343F is the transmission type, not sure about the G284. My 90 series has an (LSD) axle code of A02A but these axle codes seem to change between models.

Axle/Trans A343F G284 So can someone decipher that for me please.
What does it all mean? It means you do not have a limited slip diff. :cry:
Diff ratio is 4.30:1 - 43 teeth on the crown wheel (ring gear) and 10 teeth on the pinion. Its a light duty 8 inch crown wheel.
Gearbox is A343F: that's a 4 speed auto box with 3rd being direct drive and 4th is an overdrive. F just means its fitted to a 4WD vehicle, but I suspect you know that already!
No need to look any further.

What does it all mean?. Its a light duty 8 inch crown wheel.
No need to look any further.

You got it mate!! Just like the front axle on the mighty 80!

Big corner cut on the 80 front axle and the light front prop!! I'd put lol but it's not funny!! :thumbup:

Thanks very much Tel Boy for the deciphering and thanks to everyone else for your help. Looks like I will be saving for a diff lock!

regards Graeme

Back