Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HD-FTE - Fan Belt IP1 ?

ADD

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
After trying to find the source of an unknown noise noticed that IP1 for the Fan Belt does not touch the belt.

HD-FTE Belts.JPG

Fan Pulley Gap.jpg

There are signs of contact with the pulley on the belt which was replaced 4k ago where it makes occasional contact with the pulley.

Is this right?

I would have thought it should just tension that leg of the belt slightly to stop it vibrating. Otherwise what’s it there for? Just a guess, not familiar with the hundees.

That’s what I would expect but it’s not adjustable. It’s just an idler on a fixed bracket.

That’s what I would expect but it’s not adjustable. It’s just an idler on a fixed bracket.
Odd! Is the viscous heater adjustable? I’m guessing not.

The diagram shows it higher up. Is not hanging down where it should be up is it?

The diagram is a bit off. The idler is like that on my 100s as well. It does make contact some times tho', maybe depending on rpm, or just because of vibrations. The bearing does get worn over the years as well, making the idler more noisy. Often, after stopping the engine, that idler is the only sound I can hear for another 15 secs; spinning and not touching the belt.

Don't let this ingenious feature disturb your love of the fantastic 1HD-FTE engine design.

Last edited:
So you have the same on your 100? So assume if if only makes contact occasionally then, its there as a dampener when the belt throws a a wobbly?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This makes no sense at all to me but hey, every day’s a school day.

Nor me, but maybe put there by Toyota as every now and then belt acts like a banjo string and the idler gets it under control again o_O

Nor me, but maybe put there by Toyota as every now and then belt acts like a banjo string and the idler gets it under control again o_O
That’s the only thing I can think of. Except why not have it in contact with the belt and have no banjo. Ever!

Hello All!

I'm trying to replace this idler on my HDJ100, and was wondering if anyone knows the torque value for it? I can't find it in the 100-series service manual or the 1HD-FTE repair manual:/

Thanks!

I'm trying to replace this idler on my HDJ100, and was wondering if anyone knows the torque value for it? I can't find it in the 100-series service manual or the 1HD-FTE repair manual:/
Tight. is the answer.

The great book says for the tensioner idler bolt 39 Nm. If the "sleeping idler" has the same bolt, then that's it. If it's smaller, you can use this table:

Attachments

• Torq standard bolts.pdf
    32.4 KB · Views: 83
Tight. is the answer.

The great book says for the tensioner idler bolt 39 Nm. If the "sleeping idler" has the same bolt, then that's it. If it's smaller, you can use this table:

Great, thanks! I assume the same goes for the bracket that holds the viscous heater to the engine block? Can't find an exact torque value for that as well:(

Back