Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

GrahamR

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi everyone,

Great forum, I've got some brilliant help from existing posts on here.
This thread is a progress log of work to date... partly for me, partly as a place to post head scratching moments during the process and hopefully tap into the wealth of knowledge on here...

2002 Land Cruiser 100 Series 4.2TD VX 4spd auto, 1HD-FTE, 195k miles. Fairly easy life. Usual issues of bushes and rust!

1 As bought.jpg

This old girl is going to be doing some European trips in the next couple of years and once all the bugs are worked out she'll be heading off for a big Africa trip or two or ten. Never worked on a vehicle before so a pretty steep learning curve... I grew up in Botswana and have been lucky enough to do a few trips but there is just so much to see! I've rented a couple of Hilux's in SA but have wanted to build my own truck for a long time.

2.jpg

Early stages of dismantling...

3.jpg

Autobox sump pan. Not too much crud on the magnets. Easy to get off. Did about a 1000 miles on fresh engine oil and did a gearbox oil flush. Transformed the shifting! Definitely worth doing a flush.

4.jpg

Cam cover off to inspect and clean up

5.jpg

Driveshafts in a bit of a state. Will probably post a separate query on movement on the one side.

6.jpg

Grim mustard coloured goop passing for grease!

7.jpg

Very unpleasant... glad I'm stripping them!

8.jpg

Such a mess!

9.jpg

One shaft is tight. The inner race of the inner CV had to be clobbered off with a brass drift and hammer. On the other side the inner race just slide straight off... it would slide straight off the outer CV inner race if it weren't for the circlip... I'm concerned that one is not genuine... About 1mm of movement if you hold the shaft and push/pull (slides along the splines).

10.jpg

Totally knackered droplinks at the front. Rear not as bad...

11.jpg

Engine bay looking a bit empty...

12.jpg

Lots of corroded bits that need tidying up. Pedders kit was installed by previous owner to ditch the silly and expensive AHC. It'll do for europe but for Africa trip it's getting upgraded.

13.jpg

Exhaust was blown. Trying to source a good 3" stainless system. If anyone has any tips please let me know!

14.jpg

Rear brakes were seized on from a few weeks of sitting on stands. Took a lot of persuading to get off! Plenty of drag from the handbrakes I fear.

15.jpg

To get the steering rack out, I needed the engine sump out the way... to get the engine sump off I needed to get the front diff out the way... Am going to replace the diff bushes anyway so it was much easier to take it out and clean it up. Also doing the seals in the housing. Will be installing breathers all round as well.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Engine sump off... had probably been off before... lots of sealant floating around!

19.jpg

Looking a bit bare...

20.jpg

Steering rack out. Will be changing the track rod ends/tie rods. Will get rack cleaned up as well.

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Grubby nasty EGR and pipework

24.jpg

All decoked and put back together. Will probably blank it...

25.jpg

Crusty spindles

26.jpg

Electrolysis bath for crusty bits...

27.jpg

Shiny bits after cleaning...

28.jpg

Amazing what you find behind the mudguards! MUD!

29.jpg

Rear inner arches on both sides, front and back of arches need patching... Anyone know any good/fairly priced bodywork welders in Bristol!?? Fuel pipe looks a little suspect too...

30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg

Power steering fluid reservoir... the fluid was burnt and unpleasant. Lots of residue and bits, so cleaned it up. Not the easiest of things to take apart but will mean fresh fluid has a happier home...

34.jpg

First full completed job... new aisin water pump and timing belt...

Lots of work still to do...
* Rust removal where ever possible
* Remove and decoke the intake manifold (carefully!)
* Remove the rest of the AHC stuff
* Rebuilding the driveshafts
* Rebuilding the spindle and hubs
* Replacing the upper and lower control arms
* Replacing all suspension bushes front and rear
* Brake caliper refurb and handbrake refurb
* New DBA brakes and stainless lines
* Upgraded intercooler
* Upgraded exhaust
* Wheel refurb + another spare
* A smattering of gauges
* Might try get the injectors checked too

Then comes the fun touring stuff:
* Snorkel
* Roofrack
* Awning
* Slides, storage + Fridge
* Double DIN head unit

I'll try update this post with progress but there may not be much going on as it's dark, wet and cold till April...

Hope some of the pictures are of use to people, if anyone wants to know anything I'm happy to share my experiences!

Take care and drive safe,

G

Last edited:
Fantastic post Graham, but for some reason your pictures aren't showing. They will if we click each link, but they should just show up in the thread. Not sure what's going on there.

Fantastic post Graham, but for some reason your pictures aren't showing. They will if we click each link, but they should just show up in the thread. Not sure what's going on there.

Hi Chris,

I tried to edit and take an image out... and then it all went funky...

Will try and sort it... first major post so all a bit new and exciting...!

Open to suggestions!

Cheers,

Graham

Looks like it will be a great post - watching with interest :)

First pic didnt open, but the rest did for me.

Looks like it will be a great post - watching with interest :)

First pic didnt open, but the rest did for me.

Appreciate the interest! However, I've tried deleting and replacing all the images, yes, thrilling it was... but unfortunately it hasn't worked... still only links to images...

I may delete and start from scratch...

Will try keep the same title...

Cheers,

Graham

All seems to be working now Graham. Excellent.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great post - looking forward to the updates on the truck and your travels. :icon-cool::thumbup:

Great work done there, put a lot of mechanics to shame! Sure it will serve you well after all this love and attention, keep it up

...and in for round two!

1.jpg

Front Diff out before cleaning up. Bsuhes being replaced, much easier out the vehicle and wasn’t that difficult to remove. Bushes pretty tired. Replacements not too easy to come by… Febest, unfortunately…

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Blowtorch required to soften and punch out

9.jpg

Little bit of wirewheeling and rubbing down

9b.jpg

Primed and ready for some paint. Probably won’t stick and will get scrapped reinstalling but it’s better than it was!

10.jpg

Driveshafts out prior to cleaning and stripping. May send them for re-balancing when they’re rebuilt.

11.jpg

Front brake calipers are off and being overhauled. Pretty cruddy and stiff. Long over due.

Rather strange that allen key bolts on one caliper and hex head bolts on the other… both took a lot of persuading to release…!

Copper union bolts worn out, so will be replaced. Also doing stainless lines.

12.jpg

13.jpg

Fair amount of corrosion on the pistons. Not sure if worth tidying up the pistons and reusing or replacing. Going to do the rubber boots and seals.

14.jpg

There was some gloop, bits and residue inside the chambers. I’d done a full brake fluid flush while still driving truck prior to teardown (and old stuff was like tar) so it could’ve been a lot worse.

If anyone spots anything mildly catastrophic that I've done or am about to do please chime in!

Cheers,

Graham

Nope, keep going. I've sent out for pizza ....:handgestures-salut:

Hi Graham

Nice project. If you want fabricators shout. Lots i know around the area pm for details

Hi Graham

Nice project. If you want fabricators shout. Lots i know around the area pm for details

Excellent, thank you, I will be needing some work doing once it's back on the road so will drop you a line.

Cheers,
G

No worries

Where are you based in bristol?

@stumog I'm near Avonmouth. Apologies for the delay, spent ages trying to go to your profile and pm... Just get an error page!

Screenshot_20191106_194742.jpg

You need to have so many posts before you can pm so crack on with photos to keep people happy.

Give us a shout when it's back on the road.

Some great trails around here

Ah ha! That demystifies that! Thanks, great, I'll keep on keeping on and get in touch when I'm further along.

G

Back