Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HDJ79 Transfer Case Oil

OutbackFred

Country Flag
australia
Hi all,
Got a small drama with my 79 series ute, while changing all the oils a while back, I noticed the transfer case oil to smell very burnt and look almost like mud. I couldn't remember doing any water crossings or unusually hard work with it since last oil change but didn't get too worried about it. Filled it with new oil and back to work. 10,000km latter, checked it when changing engine oil and it was just as bad. Now I was starting to think there may be a problem. So I flushed it with clean oil and refilled it with full synthetic oil that I use in my truck, thinking this would handle any load I can throw at it. So today, after 1500km with synthetic oil, I checked it to find it to be almost as bad as before. Is this a sign the bearings are all but shot in the transfer or something else? I haven't got the time at the moment to rebuild the transfer and hope it will last another month or 2. Ute has nearly 600,000 on it but has been maintained and never had a drama with transfer or gearbox... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
usually if the bearings or something are shot you will see a swirl of fine metal particles in the oil as well as a rumble noise

what was the gearbox oil like?

Gearbox oil is fine, clean as! No unusual or new noises from box or transfer. There is a slight metal fleck through the transfer oil but I've seen a hell of a lot worse and the oil not burnt like this...

Back