Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HDJ80 15 inch wheels

nielsc

Country Flag
belgium
I really want 15" wheels on my 80 because of the very limited choice in 35" tyres for 16" wheels.
As you may know, 15" wheels do not fit on the later 80 series due to the larger rear calipers.
However, some say a 15x8" steel wheel with a certain offset or spaced out a bit with a small spacer will just clear the calipers. Anyone know what the magic offset works or is it just not possible?

I toyed with this idea on my 90 which has the same calipers and i think you want to be looking at -38 .

I will take a closer look at my 16" -38 for you tomorrow unless someone familiar with both our trucks can offer a reason why what will work for mine won't work for yours ?

I'm pretty sure Billy is right.

I tried a set of -20 15" rims on my 1995 80 without spacers and the clearance to the caliper was minimal, maybe 1 or at the most 2mm, but no interference.

If they were spaced out by 30mm, you get the advantage of the slope of the "band" of the rim, which would probably be in the region of anothe 2mm, enough, in other words.

Do you know what type of rim (brand?) it was?
I fitted a mates 15x8 ET-25 steel wheel (GOSS soft 8 wheel), and it did not fit, we then spaced it out with 2x 6mm, so 12mm shims and that did work.
So if I can find a 15x8 ET-30 wheel, and space it out with one 6mm shim ( to leave enough thread for the nuts) I think it will work.

Sorry, I don't know.

In fact, I don't even know the brand of the 16" x 10" steel rims I'm running...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had the same problem, fitted 30mm spacers 15" wheels clear ok now.

I've just been trial filling some alloys this weekend on my 80. Being a 1990 truck it originally had 15 inch wheels with small brakes although now it's on large front brakes and 16's
Anyway I've come across a set of Cheviot turbo vec alloys from 60 series cruiser, they fitted on the rears no problem but wouldn't clear the front calipers. The wheels are zero offset and an 8 inch rim.
I tried the wheels with 30mm spacers and everything was OK but the tyres were a little wider than the arches, but being a 1990 truck it only has the skinny arches, they would probably be ok on the later wide arches.
Hope this may help.

Back