Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HDJ80 Evaporator AC Drain clogged I think? Passeger foot area very wet?

Timothy Jackson

Country Flag
canada
Hello there, from my research I need to find the Evaporator Core drain hose and check it/clean it?
Nothing in my Haynes manual - can anyone lead me to the way to do this?

Afaik in the motor compartiment there is a hole in the bulkhead located behind the glove box from where you can find a small elbow shaped hose.
If this came loose from the ac box, the condensed water will run down at the inside of the bulkhead and into the footwell instead of in the motor compartiment.
The hose is only like 10 cm long. If its lost, you'll only find a hole diam 2 a 3 cm.
With a bit of luck you can push it back on the small plastic tube of the ac box
Good luck!

Tim

Had the same on a 100 it was passenger bunk head about the height of the lower door hinge but quite near were the opening through to the gearbox is. I used a can from Halfords and poked around with long straws off wd40 cans.

I also removed the front cover of the passenger condenser and squirted air through the bottom.

45525762-8399-42D5-8063-8772FEB8E50B.jpeg FB0BDEA6-EF26-4433-A8B5-6211A7C72933.jpeg

Thanks so much for your reply. Not sure of your name?
I am going to show you 5 pictures, I think this is different than yours. I removed the glovebox, see the blue pen, it points to some of the water coming down, in about 4 different areas. The big grey box slightly right, has water droplets hanging down on the right side out of view but took image also, then dripping, some also coming down the back center wall... the pen helps point it out....? What do you think? This is the left side passenger side. This is a right hand drive HDJ80 series I imported from Japan. I just had the air-con re purged last autume, never had it working before, I have had this since 2005 here in Canada. Any help appreciated, thanks, Timothy

Tim

Had the same on a 100 it was passenger bunk head about the height of the lower door hinge but quite near were the opening through to the gearbox is. I used a can from Halfords and poked around with long straws off wd40 cans.

I also removed the front cover of the passenger condenser and squirted air through the bottom.

View attachment 158492 View attachment 158493

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg

Thanks for your thought, I think I may see what your talking about, but see no moisture on that location, if you see the other images I attached on the other kind feedback, you see where the water is? What do you think?
It really wets the carpet. Thanks :)

Afaik in the motor compartiment there is a hole in the bulkhead located behind the glove box from where you can find a small elbow shaped hose.
If this came loose from the ac box, the condensed water will run down at the inside of the bulkhead and into the footwell instead of in the motor compartiment.
The hose is only like 10 cm long. If its lost, you'll only find a hole diam 2 a 3 cm.
With a bit of luck you can push it back on the small plastic tube of the ac box
Good luck!

maybe this helps to pinpoint the leak. It's the exploded view of the unit behind the glove box. are you sure the water comes from the ac unit? the 80 series is known to have issues with the seal of the windscreen. This also wets the footwell.
upload_2019-8-26_9-58-55.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fireworks is right. When does the leak appear?

When it rains or when you run ac?

The drain tube goes through the bulk head about where lowest bolt is in you 4th picture. Mine leaked from the front of the unit in pic 1.

The thing is, if the drain is blocked, the water could come from anywhere above that where it can find a leakage path.

Do you get water dripping from the AC drain tube below the front of the truck around the axle area when the AC has been running! If not, it may be blocked somehow. It would be worth dismantling the unit if this is the case. You could try pushing a rod, like a net curtain wire for example, up from below but be careful you don’t damage the Evaporator. This would only really prove it was blocked and dismantling to clean should then be the next move.

If water drains from the tube, and the water appears when it rains rather than when the AC is on, you may have a leaking windscreen.

You have both been wonderful and thanks so much for this diagram. As you can see in my images, there is not water around that drain hose at all as it enters through the bulk head/firewall.... I had a paint job done last year, and the front window was replaced, it does leak under heavy rain, in process for them to have it re-done, but this a/c unit is doing this when it's not raining also. UNLESS water is sitting up high, but would seems strange as it's when the a/c unit is on for sure too... I am going to check water on the ground in the next few days after a drive and the unit running, as you kindly suggest. You have both given me some tools to my kit.... the water does appear to be coming from high up and coming down in several places, especially when you look at picture 2 looking carefully you can see all the drips hang there, and you can see its coming down the back also.... so.... some carefully monitoring over the next few days and I will let you now things work out :) I just signed up on here, your all amazing ... thanks!!!! I grew up in Herefordshire ;) But in Canada since I was 14.... bye for now.

The thing is, if the drain is blocked, the water could come from anywhere above that where it can find a leakage path.

Do you get water dripping from the AC drain tube below the front of the truck around the axle area when the AC has been running! If not, it may be blocked somehow. It would be worth dismantling the unit if this is the case. You could try pushing a rod, like a net curtain wire for example, up from below but be careful you don’t damage the Evaporator. This would only really prove it was blocked and dismantling to clean should then be the next move.

If water drains from the tube, and the water appears when it rains rather than when the AC is on, you may have a leaking windscreen.

Thanks you have been awesome, I responded in detail to Starcruiser... I will keep you posted :)

Thanks for your thought, I think I may see what your talking about, but see no moisture on that location, if you see the other images I attached on the other kind feedback, you see where the water is? What do you think?
It really wets the carpet. Thanks :)

It’s sounding like your AC unit as you’ve said. I’d be surprised if it were not blocked so a bit of investigation should show up the problem.

On the windscreen, they often leak and windscreen fitters these days don’t know about the old style, non-bonded windscreens. The 100% seal is to use permanently flexible Butyl Screen Sealer like this stuff
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/222432186094 .
Remove the panel with the grills in between the bonnet and screen then remove the screen. Remove the rubber from the screen and clean it with a Brillo pad in some warm water. Then dry it and apply the sealant. It needs to go all round between the screen and the glass so it oozes out both sides, just enough. A 6mm bead in the root of the rubber channel is about right. Then fit it to the screen and when it’s about ready to fit, run a bead of sealant round the body aperture, sides and top, just where the outside skin begins to curve into the window opening. Leave the base sealant free and refit the glass.

Well I unplugged it last night, and even though you can't drop that grey box you can pull down the lower part to get your hand in there and pull out some pine needles, and got my garden hose in there and flushed it all clean, so will see what happens now. This does deal with my passenger side wet carpet in part. It does not deal with the wet feet I got on the driver side, in May when driving in heavy rain for two hours where both sides got wet..... I need some good rain to test that? And your comments below are interesting, the 4x4 store in Edmonton that did my spray job, and replaced my glass, this is a 1990 HDJ80 series, said no sealant is required, that the new seal and windshield does not require it? Any comment? I think I will send them your comments below? Super appreciate your support. Got my a/c draining without too much trouble, a good start. :)

It’s sounding like your AC unit as you’ve said. I’d be surprised if it were not blocked so a bit of investigation should show up the problem.

On the windscreen, they often leak and windscreen fitters these days don’t know about the old style, non-bonded windscreens. The 100% seal is to use permanently flexible Butyl Screen Sealer like this stuff
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/222432186094 .
Remove the panel with the grills in between the bonnet and screen then remove the screen. Remove the rubber from the screen and clean it with a Brillo pad in some warm water. Then dry it and apply the sealant. It needs to go all round between the screen and the glass so it oozes out both sides, just enough. A 6mm bead in the root of the rubber channel is about right. Then fit it to the screen and when it’s about ready to fit, run a bead of sealant round the body aperture, sides and top, just where the outside skin begins to curve into the window opening. Leave the base sealant free and refit the glass.

The diagram was super helpful, see my other comment in this thread now, a/c I hope will now be fine with needles and dirt out and drain cleared.... now for why my foot well on the driver side filled up and got my feet wet in heavy rain in May..... have not had heavy rain to drive in since then. Thanks to you all :)

maybe this helps to pinpoint the leak. It's the exploded view of the unit behind the glove box. are you sure the water comes from the ac unit? the 80 series is known to have issues with the seal of the windscreen. This also wets the footwell.
View attachment 158499

USe a hose pipe or buckets of water and pour on windscreen to see if water appears In footwell ?

Artificial rain is just as good I find. :)

I am not surprised they will have said it doesn’t need sealant. I think Chris is about the only one I know if that’s managed to get his screen to seal. There’s a thread or two on here about it but believe you me, if you don’t use sealant you had better have an original Toyota Windscreen and an awful lot of luck.

Toyota FSM (Factory Service Manual) says to use sealant (must be non setting) and I can attest to the fact that my original Toyota windscreen was fitted with sealant and didn’t leak. The replacement with a non Toyota rubber leaked. The replacement Toyota rubber leaked, the refitted rubber and screen sealed with Arbomast was fine…until it leaked. I gave up, removed the screen myself, cleaned it and applied the stuff I showed you in the manner I described and it has not leaked. A single drop. Ever since!

If you ask @Firewout nicely he might send you a link to his FSM that deals with body work bits. I think it is he who has this. Otherwise have a search on here for ‘butyl screen seal’ and you’ll find all the threads relating to it and a couple mentioning the FSM @frank rabbets being one.

Mine is a 94 btw but same screen, same hole, same section rubber as a 90 though.

Last edited:
Artificial rain is just as good I find. :)

I am not surprised they will have said it doesn’t need sealant. I think Chris is about the only one I know if that’s managed to get his screen to seal. There’s a thread or two on here about it but believe you me, if you don’t use sealant you had better have an original Toyota Windscreen and an awful lot of luck.

Toyota FSM (Factory Service Manual) says to use sealant (must be non setting) and I can attest to the fact that my original Toyota windscreen was fitted with sealant and didn’t leak. The replacement with a non Toyota rubber leaked. The replacement Toyota rubber leaked, the refitted rubber and screen sealed with Arbomast was fine…until it leaked. I gave up, removed the screen myself, cleaned it and applied the stuff I showed you in the manner I described and it has not leaked. A single drop. Ever since!

Have a search on here for ‘butyl screen seal’ and you will pull up all the threads that mention it. @frank rabbets mentions the FSM and if you ask @Firewout nicely he may have a copy on his server for you to download as I don’t seem to have the relevant bodywork one. I think it has pictures you could show your guys in Edmonton.

It usually leaks in the corners where the rubber is higher on the outside than on the inside where it meets the glass. It will gather under the carpet at the thresholds in the cable channel.

Last edited:
Back