Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HDJ80R power steering reservoir

phil howell

Hi guys i'm a newbie on here but not a newbie to landcruisers,having a problem with the power steering oil reservoir,it seems to becoming pressurized and leaving a mist of fluid over the engine ?,any help would be greatly appreciated,Phil.

Hey Phil,

Welcome to the club :thumbup:

I have a similar problem on my cruiser, that my reservoir leaks PS fluid when hot, not quite a spray though, but after inspecting the rubber gasket on the PS tank cap i have noticed that it's rock hard which would explain why it is no longer providing a decent seal on the tank... Could be that this is your problem too.

I would suggest either replacing the cap (I think the part no. is 44305?35010, best to confirm with Ian Rubie who is on here and the resident parts supplier/ :ugeek:) , or gasket at least( Not sure this is available separately though) with a new one and go from there, providing you are not having any other problems with your PS.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Ryan

Ryan,many thanks for your reply,i will try a new seal and let you know the outcome,
and many thanks for the welcome,cheers mate,Phil.

Welcome - let us know how you get on - most things can be fixed, and there some great men and women on the forum to help you.

Hi Phil,
Was talking to another member couple of weeks ago, he was telling me that the res is of two parts the bowl part then the top. You will see what i mean when you look at it.

The top is just crimped to the bottom. Try to recrimp it. May be the answer with no money having to be spent :thumbup:

And welcome to the forum

karl

Hi guys,
Thanks to you all both for the advice and the friendly welcome,thanks again,Phil. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have the same problem - Noticed more since I fixed the pump (as everything used to be covered in oil, but now all clean with exception of the mist etc...) - its definitely leaking from under the cap (rather than the upper / lower body of the res')

My query is whether the tank should be pressurised and therefore whether replacing the cap would fix things?

Not noticed any significant drop in fluid levels or performance etc.. but its definitely spraying out.

Well I've looked a bit closer - and after driving around a short while with the reservoir covered in rags - its clear it is leaking from the cap and the join between the two halves.. :oops:

(Good call Karl!)

Whilst not a major leak its definitely something I'd like to fix/replace... Will try recrimping / sealing & replacing the cap...

After a little searching on Mud for potential solutions I came across this which got me thinking maybe for a longer term replacement.

J

no worries justin.

Wasnt my find, but this is why these forums are good, and its nice to be able to help one and other out.

karl

Karl,

Do you have any reservoir's available for an HDJ80?

J

Loads mate. Couldnt tell you if they leak or not tho. There is one on a truck at the min that i havnt touched. I will have a look to see if it is dry and leak free :thumbup:

I missed this one the first time round.

It may have been be that mentioned it Karl :thumbup:

Mine was doing the same. Just get a decent pair of Mole grips (or similar) and re 'crimp' around the edge of the top of the reservoir, there are 4 places where there are cutouts which you will feel.

I replace hoses and seals before finally discovering the real cause of the mist/leak :doh:

Takes 5 minutes to do and does cure the problem:-
1138380411_SfqiJ-O.jpg

Hmm thanks for that, Paul! I have lots of evidence of mist deposition around the reservoir but no obvious leaks (drips or weeping). I will have a look and see if I can recrimp without destroying the reservoir :oops:

Cheers,

It really is a simple job Andrew, once you have done it you will be amazed at how a simple task has such amazing results.... and better still, the 'fix' is free.

Apparently it only happens on diesels, something to do with the way the motor resonates/vibrates, it causes the two halves of the reservoir to separate enough to allow it to start misting.

I get occasional juddering at low speeds (and low engine speeds) such as when parking - usually after a long run (more than an hour). I've assumed that my PS pump needed a rebuild but it may be that the reservoir can't sustain pressure, hence the symptoms.
I'm excited at the prospect of an easy potential fix :thumbup:

I've tried crimping the edges and applied RTV around the joint, but the leak is still persisting.

I've stripped the system again (to fit an oil cooler and replace some hoses) but I'm tempted to buy/make a replacement - IF I can make it fit!

Greetings to you all, I'm facing the same thing with my 80. I've changed the reservoir and the cap but still leaks. Any updates on possible solutions or causes?

I’m no expert by a long way, but simple physics tells me that when the fluid gets hot in operation, there’s going to be expansion. This is born-out by the dip-stick type level indicator integral with the cap, meaning the system is open vented (as are braking systems) via a breather hole in the cap.
Most old systems leak or weep to some extent, so like me, it’s vey tempting to over-fill the reservoir, to be on the safe side.
By over-filling, it’s likely that fluid will escape or spray out of the vent hole.
Or, it may be that the vent is blocked, causing excess pressure, hence leaks stemming from the crimping or other components not designed to be pressurized.
Just my thoughts, and willing to be corrected if wrong.

Back