Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HDK cv joints

And they're greasable how exactly? That suggests that they are somehow different like the ones that are line bored with a greasing point

I don't think they are
HDK have been discussed at length on here and the majority view is that they are rubbish
Some have been fine but it's Russian Roulette with cvs

I'd never fit another

I would not touch the HDK with a barge pole - I broke a pair for fun. Although they are line bored (gun drilled) now, which should provide extra strength. Perhaps if they were on a standard motor with standard size tyres that only saw tarmac then perhaps, but for anything that tows, wears bigger tyres, goes off road etc. - look elsewhere.

I installed RCV (Longfields) about 4 years ago and never looked back, they are regularly abused wearing ø37" tyres - a bit pricey but a good investment, they come gun drilled now also.

http://www.rcvperformance.com/categories.aspx?catID=RCVP_TOYOTA_CV_AXLES

In fairness, I broke the HDk's about 5 years ago, they could have seriously improved production by now.

A lot of people see the external greasing as a positive, for me its a negative, people may choose to not strip down and inspect properly when they dont have to.

Last edited:
The Longfield site says 885 USD for everything - cv's and shafts. Did I read correct, as that seems very cheap.

I only run genuine factory cvs now

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The Longfield site says 885 USD for everything - cv's and shafts. Did I read correct, as that seems very cheap.

Probably about right Dave, I seem to recall it costing around £750 including shipping and import duty - that was 4 or 5 years ago.

Anyone use Roughtrax CV? are they any good? I need to order some tomorrow, my cruiser is taking up a ramp and need to get it rolling

Anyone use Roughtrax CV? are they any good? I need to order some tomorrow, my cruiser is taking up a ramp and need to get it rolling

I have and do not know anything about the KAVO ones they sell but those or even the HDK ones will get you rolling.

I have and do not know anything about the KAVO ones they sell but those or even the HDK ones will get you rolling.

I haven't much choice with the short notice I got but I'd rather use the better one.
But hey only one way to find out! I'll just have to plan replacing them sooner rather than later

I haven't much choice with the short notice I got but I'd rather use the better one.
But hey only one way to find out! I'll just have to plan replacing them sooner rather than later

Agree, if you know you can compensate for them and they could last a lifetime!

If your a road motor with standard tyres I really wouldn't worry too much, its through neglect, bigger tyres and abuse that the cheaper ones wont tolerate.

Ye I'm standard just slightly bigger tyres.
I'll just have to remember they are made of chocolate if i go out playing haha

Back