Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Head light bulb upgrade.

Cruiser84

Hi, Has anyone upgrade their H4 halogen bulb to led and were you happy with the results?
Any recommendations welcome.
Thanks.

There's a few people on here (and TonyCY on the other board) who have done it so they will no doubt give details.

I left my headlights halogen but upgraded the bulbs to osram nightbreaker 200s and have been happy with them.

I upgraded the brake, tail and reverse lights to LEDs though. Reverse lights were the best upgrade (thanks to TractionMan) - the original ones were useless!

Thanks Karl for the reply. What make of led did use in the rear lamps and where did you purchase them?

Take a look at this thread, some discussion there

I replaced mine with Phillips LED, which are not the cheapest, but couldn't be happier with them. Only thing I had to do was adjust them down one click on the dial in the dash as I used to get flashed a lot

If you are going to change your lights to LED or some other super bright beam, please please please adjust them down as per Tony's comment. Remember that a Land Cruiser is higher, so the blinding effect is greater to on coming traffic than in say a Ford Focus.

Its a bit of a bug bear of mine the number of cars I drive past that almost blind me, and when I flash them to remind them to knock off their high beam, they only flash me back with a high beam so bright it gives me a sun tan.

Honestly I can't see the need for all these super bright beams, if people are worried about darkness/ animals crossing etc then driving slower is better than blinding oncoming drivers.

Maybe I'm just getting old.....

Anyway, rant over.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The replacement leds myself and Karl used were cheaper, and are like searchlights illuminating rear and sides.
I can't find where we purchased, but Karl is much more organised, so may be able to help.
Meanwhile I'll have another look.

Here's the info from my notes, hope its useful. Note for the reverse, theres options from Osram and the Samsung bulbs TM found. I tried both, and the samsung are better and what I've installed!

EXTERIOR

Tail / Brake lights - W21/5W

OSRAM LEDriving SL LED W21/5W 6000K Cool White Car Bulb (Twin) W3x16q | 12V

Rear Fog Lights - W21W WHITE

OSRAM LEDriving SL LED W21W 6000K Cool White Car Bulb (Twin) W3x16q | 12V

Reverse Light - W16W

Osram LEDriving SL W16W Cool White Bulbs 12v 1.4W (Wedge 921 21W) 921DWP-02B

Samsung: Reverse Light Bulb 15 SMD LED W16W T15 955 921 For Toyota Yaris Vitz 10-On (From TractionMan)

Parking Lights (side lights) W5W

License Plate Lights W5W

Karl, the reverse light bulbs look a bit weird. I'm pretty sure mine look like normal drum type bulbs if that make sense rather than 2 prongs.

Bones, they are correct fitting for 2006 lc3 that Karl and I both fitted the Samsung ones to, as he stated above
The Osram are exactly the same fitting. They are push fit and sometimes referred to as capless.
They are not prongs as in projections, the wire contacts are on opposite sides of the flat areas that enters the bulb holder.

Thanks Karl and Tractionman, great info.
Are the Samsung w5w side light size bulb or the larger stop/tail size?
My jeep is an 05 GXL Aussie import. It has three of the larger capsule bulbs in the rear light assembly. No rear bumper fog lights and no headlight adjustment.

Karl, mine is a 2003 LC4. I'll have a look tomorrow at my lights. Are the later 120's canbus wiring setup?

Are the later 120's canbus wiring setup?

I could be wrong, but I don't believe so.

I didn't put any LED's on the indicators because the flasher relay wasnt happy and would have needed an inline resistor. More trouble than it was worth to me at that point!

My AFN bumper came with side and indicator combined led unit made by Depo. I wired into existing loom without resitors, they burnt out after 3 month's. Haven't fixed them yet!!

I changed my 90 headlamps to LED last year.. or 2 years... whatever, January... made a huge difference to me, but then I live in the back of beyond, not off high street, so lighting up the spots where deer tend to jump across the road is a help.

You will need to fit a ballast resistor. The lights will work fine, but I found the high beam light on the dash wouldn't light up without the resistor.

Changed my headlamps to excellent Philips LED 5 years ago which was literally a night and day change.
However, last year MOT man said No so the old candles are back!

Back