Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Head light wiring upgrade questions

Matt Wright

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Hi all

I bought a couple of the head light upgrade kits Chris fitted for each of my cruisers. I started fitting the first one this weekend but it appears that someone has done a lot of fiddling with the electricals / wiring - not for the better!

Below are some photos of my findings. I'm looking to:
- check what I did was correct
- confirm what the "extra plug" is / does it connect a second harness?

Calling Chris.. I'll turn this in to a step by step doc afterwards if its useful

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355219744.515931.jpg
What the wiring looks like when I found it

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355219778.191982.jpg
Wires have been cut and dodgy old rusty strip connectors used to join wires

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355219827.052569.jpg
Wires running to the brights were frayed, soldered together and bare metal!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355219861.267390.jpg
Lights are grounded to the body

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355219882.262132.jpg
Where the wiring harness runs back in to the engine bay

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355219914.907870.jpg
What's this for?

I worked through the instructions which were a little vague!?
End result after cabling in the harness with 2 x red connectors to the battery positive, 1 black negative wire to the body and 1 to the battery terminal given the cable length, plugging the H4 connector to the light bulb. Also connected the 2 black ?? Boxes to the respective connectors.

I now have no brights and one main beam working? Any ideas?
Thanks as always..

the wiring loom upgrade has 5 multi plug connectors
2 to plug into each headlight main blub to replace the factory plugs, and a 3rd plugs into one of the factory plugs to allow it to get triggers for the relays, from the dash stalk light switching
and two plugs to connect to the relays for low and full-beams?
you should also have a couple relays

i think the plug you show in photo goes into one of the existing sockets you pull off back of headlight

Last edited:
Matt the pictures are shocking. Can't see what we're looking at. Wiring the new harness in is simple. It just fits between the lamps and the plug that USED to go onto the lamp really with a new earth and a new live feed from the battery just as Andy said. As to what's been going on with the old loom, hmm, maybe a pick up for some spotlights?

The OEM wires are very thin. This is partly why the lights are shite. If you whack in big bulbs, eventually the bulb holders get fried. I look a little as though this may have already happened and something has been grafted in to replace them. You have another truck to try them on though ..

C

Thanks Andy, Chris.

Apologies for the poor picture quality, they looked ok on my phone. I just got my proper internet working at home so will have a look at the loom again tomorrow and re-upload the pics in proper res..
The part I can't find a home for is the single connector that looks like it should connect the wiring loom and lights to the car but I'll check in the light tomorrow.
The wiring modifications look like they might be linked to when the alarm was fitted as it flashes the indicators when arming. Long day, thanks and I'll let you know when it's all working tomorrow :)

OK, well Andy has run through this once, but let's try it again with a bit more detail?

Connect red wire to +ve of starter battery. Mount the two relays on the end of the radiator where there's a handy bolt and connect the two plugs to the relays. OK
Unplug the two dipped beam (outer) headlights from their three pin female plugs. In their place, connect the new three pin plugs running the cable along the top of the rad where the other cables run in the OEM loom.

Now, there should be two black earth tails with rings on. Connect each of these to the front panel above the lights on each side making sure that there is a good clean earth. From memory, there might be another earth to go onto the main battery?

What you should be let with is a male three pin plug. This needs to plug into the disconnected OEM connector taken from the lamp on the driver's side. So when you use your lights, the signal transmitted down the cables that USED to go into the bulb now goes into the new loom to fire the relays. You are using the old wiring to switch the new wiring, yes? With new HD power being sent directly to the lamps. That loose three pin male plug that you have in the pic is the key to this. Plug it into the old loom instead of a bulb

Chris

Thanks Chris, that explains my extra plug. I've got all the rest connected correctly and will hook it up first thing!
Also going to clean out the headlights as they're absolutely full of African dust!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just attached the male plug to the old connector and all lights now working MUCH BRIGHTER! Thanks Chris and Andy. There is so much dust in the lights it's actually formed into a solid layer so will sort that out in the light tomorrow. Got a bunch of things to do but more on that soon..

Back