Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlight adjustment

Stewart Cowie

Country Flag
scotland
Hi all,
I have a 120 D4D 2008 and not happy with the reach of the dipped light beam. I have tried adjusting using the light angle selector, which adjust electrically, but even in the highest position the reach of the beam is very very poor. My question is, is their another method of adjusting the beam angle in this model? Thank you.

Hi all,
I have a 120 D4D 2008 and not happy with the reach of the dipped light beam. I have tried adjusting using the light angle selector, which adjust electrically, but even in the highest position the reach of the beam is very very poor. My question is, is their another method of adjusting the beam angle in this model? Thank you.
Stewart the standard bulbs in the 120 are hopeless , for a very small cost around £10 a pair on ebay you can fit LED h4 bulbs , I did with 360 degrees 8000 LM 36W per bulb LED , I bought two pairs just in case one burns out , that was three years ago and all is still well on the first pair , and the beam on dip are way longer than on main beam the the standard give let alone dip beam , I have had to put mine on no3 (standard setting is 0 on my air suspension 120) on the light angle selector as not to dazzle on coming cars . add that to the wide angle to the left that lights up the whole area and the headlight colour is the same as that of the latest luxury cars , as well as the LED dont get hot like standard bulbs and they are supposed to last the life of the car so they are fit and forget .

Last edited by a moderator:
I too was very disappointed in the headlights, considering how good they were on the 70 and 90 series with standard bulbs (though the lights on the Mk6 Hilux were nothing to write home about either).
So poor in fact i nearly hit an unlit skip in a village a few days after buying the 120, sharply cut off beams patterns leaving little to no light scatter ahead of the beam cut off line, nasty that, european cars are like this and i utterly detest european cars.

Bought Osram Nighbreakers and the difference was staggering.
If the lenses are getting cloudy that won't help, maybe a good polish up with some metal polish would improve things too.

Thank you for your replies.
The scatter is terrible and I drive on unlit roads a lot, so pretry dangerous. I even bought brand new headlights from rough trax and that made little difference. I will look into the LED lights. I thought it was the reflector that created the light pattern, not the bulb?

Thank you for your replies.
The scatter is terrible and I drive on unlit roads a lot, so pretry dangerous. I even bought brand new headlights from rough trax and that made little difference. I will look into the LED lights. I thought it was the reflector that created the light pattern, not the bulb?
With the 360 degrees LED 8000lm on dip beam, the beam is at the very least double the length and a consistent strong white light that lights up country roads and unlit motorways , and standard bulbs are at the very best 500lm and are crap in comparison , I tried Phillips xenon extreme and osram nightbreakers with only a very slight improvement over standard bulbs and both were each about £20 a pair , LEDs have come down massively in price and most high end cars have them as standard fit now .

Back