Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlight glue removal

Lorin

Yet again my headlights have managed to get muddy water in them (probably Lincomb!) which I want to sort once and for all. This time I am going to attempt to properly seal them (after I've cleaned them).

Last time I cleaned them I had to bake them in the oven (100 degrees for 15 mins IIRC) in order to soften the glue enough to get the lenses off. I then had to bake them again to soften the glue enough to put the lenses back on.

I did however have a go at removing the old glue only to find that it was utterly impossible - at least it was using a stanley knife as the glue was just too sticky and I didn't want to bake them any longer in case it damaged them. The old glue is also looking pretty poor and I doubt it is even sealing the lenses properly.

Does anyone know how I could get the old glue totally off - is there some sort of chemical I could use, or should I have a go with a heat gun?

Is the old glue pliable when its cold Lorin? Have you tried 'thinners' or the likes on it? Nitro-Mors is a commonly available paint remover but it might remove the lenses too...

It sounds like hateful stuff...

Thinners might be worth a try. Unfortunately when cold it sets virtually rock hard. Even when so hot I couldn't pick up the light it was still very firm and unwilling to come off.

Once I get the bl**dy stuff off I intend to replace with silicone so I dont have this hassle if the lenses need removing again.

I don't envy you this task :roll: The last time I did this was to replace a cracked lens & it took me ages & left me all :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Once the lens was off I used a hot air gun/paint striper type of thing to soften the mastic then just slowly worked around the groove with a flat blade screwdriver & a Stanley knife gradually removing all of the old glue over a period of time like the rest of my life :twisted: :p

It is doable but what a bitch of a job :thumbdown:

If you do manage to do it don't then use to much mastic/glue when putting it back together as it makes a proper mess if you do :( Remember just enough if anything go just under put the lens on then have a look to see how much more you need remove the lens top up with mastic/glue then drop the lens back on :lol:

Good luck :thumbup: I'll say a little :pray: for you :D

I shant ever be doing it again though :) Lifes to short :p

I don't know if my frustration tolerance is up to it :angry-teeth:

I may be needing a new headlight or two.......

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back