Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlights / brights not working

dyladams

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi All,

I have done a search but am not able to find any information that might solve my problem.

My headlights work under normal use and when I "Flash" my brights everything is OK. However if I put the lights on "high beam" or "brights", all the lights go off. Sometimes they all come on but it does take a while.

This has been a slow deterioration of the system. I have changed the Red relay for the lights under the bonnet but this has had no effect.

What could the possible problems be and is there an easy solution.

Just a bit of info on the Vehicle:
1996 HDJ81 24 valve Turbo diesel (Japanese import) which means that the inner headlights are wired as fog lights and not bright lights.
Mileage is fairly low at just over 100k miles.
Vehicle is pretty much standard.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

My relay failed and got so hot the plastic melted and dribbled down into the fuse board. I was able to pull the relay out and pick the bits of now hardened plastic out of the relay contact sockets. i could then bend these closed and push a new relay in. My relay was the green one.

I previously replaced the relay on mine and had no change. Wonder what the chances are of having 2 dud relays....

Mine has this.

Move your headlight rotary switch slowly between levels and see if they come back on.

I have a feeling that jap imports dont have the dip/main relay, but full power goes through the stalk instead, which burn out eventually.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
sounds like a rely problem have you test it out with a multi-meter.The description of rely would be on the cover of the box also when you said @However if I put the lights on "high beam" or "brights", all the lights go off , it sounds like you have a short circuit . for that i would check the ground wire and any damage to the wire ect.

Good luck

let us know how you get on please

Thanks all

I tried some of the suggestions today but planning to do some more investigation works tomorrow. Otherwise think I need to find a decent auto electrician

Thanks all

I tried some of the suggestions today but planning to do some more investigation works tomorrow. Otherwise think I need to find a decent auto electrician

You might also want to check the relays in the driver side footwell. I had something similar to that happen and found a main relay burnt on the mounting board. I might have posted about it too.

Sounds like it could be a possible earth wire problem. Have a good look around under the bonnet and check for corrosion or bad contact on earth wires, they can cause quite a bit of electrical havoc when not making a good connection.

Back