Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

headlights on 1991 land cruiser

harpo

Country Flag
uk
Hello , I have just got a 1991 land cruiser 4.2 turbo diesel . ````I have a few things that need sorting out the windows are slow and don't work in the back . Tonight I was driving and the headlights stayed on main beam and the blue light wasn't coming on if I turned the headlights off and pulled the turn stick back the main came on no blue light on the dash . If anyone can help that would be great

Hi and welcome. First things most 80 series windows are slow. The rubbers harden with age and sort of bind. New rubbers are the best cure but removing them and a good soak and wash with hot water can improve them but not always. The nylon bushes on the window mechs also get worn and add extra load on already old motors. Whole mechanisms and motor replacements are available from milner off road very reasonably priced.
Headlight issue is most likely the relay under the bonnet. One is brown and one blue I believe. Imports only have the brown one if I remember correctly.

If your going to pull the rubbers and wash them then soak them with silicone spray and wrap them up in cling film overnight to soften the rubber .

Hello thanks , it does have the brown relay also the head light has a bulb missing which I should have noticed the one which has one shade connector on the back I have picked a couple up . There are a few jobs to do on it mainly electrical the radio is not working cig lighter clock all these are on the same fuse checked that out and its ok . I haven't spent to much time on it but I think I will be . This one also has the rear and front diff lockers . I have not tried these out I noticed when I first turned the switch that the lights came on the dash a solid red for the front and the rear but now they flash red does that mean they aren't engaging . I have never had on of these before but it does seem a solid truck I got it for towing would it benefit from another oil cooler or are they already good enough ? Thanks again

If they flash red, it means that they are trying to engage, but not in the engaged position yet. The flashing will stop when the engaged switch on the diff housing is switched by the movement of the diff lock actuator.
If the diff is not in the right position, they will not engage, but when you drive a little and do some turns (on loose gravel) they should work.
Rear actuators are known to be prone to corrosion. Also the magnets in the small electro motors can come loose. They can be glued back in place but be careful to put them in the same orientation as they came out.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back