Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

heated mirror install

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
I did this early this year, they havnt even seen frost yet! but they get really warm. I did them as part of my electric folding mirror job, but no one is daft enough to do that.. are they?

I got the idea and link to the pads off a chap off mud so credit too him.

wiring is not my strong point so feel free to point out any errors. the pads are self adhesive and will not peel off again if you get it wrong. don't ask me how I know...

they are wired into the back of the rear defrost relay so come on when you press the switch.

the pads are 1 amp each, I used 5 amp wire.

there is not much money in this just a bit of time.

undo the screw under the mirror and remove the glass and plastic backing.

phone pics 083.jpgphone pics 103.jpg

phone pics 084.jpgphone pics 085.jpg

pull out the three connectors. remove the small pin, this is spring loaded so releasing some of the pressure will help.

the motor assemble will now pop of the plastic backing.

I soaked the glass and plastic backing in hot soapy water to soften the plastic and help release the adhesive pad. carefully remove the glass from the backing.

clean off the old adhesive.

phone pics 082.jpgphone pics 091.jpg

carefully apply the heated pads, theres not much room so do a dry run first.
cut holes in the plastic backing for the connectors.

phone pics 092.jpgphone pics 087.jpg

phone pics 088.jpgphone pics 089.jpg the mirror is mechanically fixed as well as the small adhesive pad in the centre, so I only used four small blobs of adhesive. soften the plastic backing with a heat gun before carefully refitting the glass.

I chose to solder the wires to the spades. after I added connectors I sealed the spades with adhesive.

phone pics 109.jpgphone pics 101.jpg

I pulled the wires through the mirror internals with my favourite wiring fishing tool, solder.

phone pics 100.jpgphone pics 099.jpg

the mirror can be re assembled.

I took the spade connector out of the back of the rear defrost relay, and soldered my positive to the back of the connector, this feeds both mirrors.

phone pics 099.jpgphone pics 071.jpg

phone pics 069.jpgphone pics 072.jpg

I ran the earths to the factory earth points behind the kick panel. the tempting bolt off the hinge inside the door is not a good earth point!

phone pics 073.jpgphone pics 116.jpg

this was a bit fiddly, but got there in the end.

phone pics 061.jpgphone pics 063.jpg

taped back up after the wires were fished through.

I used a couple of old rear defrost connectors to make my new ones.

that's about it I think, coming off the defrost relay means that the heated pads are also on the defrost timer

phone pics 114.jpg

here is the ebay link;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Attachments

• phone pics 070.jpg
    phone pics 070.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Nicely done CG. Been fancying that mod for some time.

C

thats greati have been looking fo the pads for ages as i really miss the heat mirrors from past cars. I will be ordering soon

stu

Stu, group buy! Well done mate, put me down for a set. Can I have mine in blue please?

look what i found on eblag today yippy.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331326489368?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Right-Hea...its=Model:Land+Cruiser+80&hash=item5b059f7d26

very tempted to buy it now and see what turns up as when i emailed them a few weeks ago they said they dont do heated ones.

Chris sorry i missed your post about the group buy. To be fair as you have still not sent me a picture of the tail gate boards to see if i want one its still your turn....

Is that a bit below the belt???

stu

To be fair as you have still not sent me a picture of the tail gate boards

stu

I don't think a picture of them exists yet, wait 'til they arrive and there will be dozens. :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Grrr don't get me started. I am seeing him this weekend.

OK back to the thread.

Hmm. I likely.

if you read the description though it says works with existing heated lens. so i have asked them if they have the pads fitted.
will keep you informed guys.

they said they have the elements fitted so i am going top get a pair.

I can confirm that the mirrors do have the demister pads on them and have a nice convex shape to give a better view.
Stu

Are these up and running yet stu? Its getting that time of year.....

No sorry i am snowed under with other things the cruiser feels a bit unloved at the moment.

Thanks Stu, That's what I was after

C

no probs. glad I could be of assistance!

Arrived about an hour ago. First thoughts are the glass is marginally smaller than the original and has no edging. I shall order some edging strip (had some before) and glue that on. I powered them up and they certainly do get nice and warm, pretty quickly. Too cold at the moment for faffing around with them outdoors.

Did anyone else address the edging? They look sort of unfinished without the black edges to the glass.

Earlier post said to warm up the glue and hear the edging / backing and remove original glass and replace with new glass after cutting a hole I think

Back