Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heated Rear Window

steverjuk

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
So I've never used the heated window until today when I found out that it doesn't work.
So after checking that I've got voltage on one side and ground on the other, I checked that I continuity across the window, which I don't. I've checked and voltage seems to get to a different point on each piece of metal running across the window but they all seem to be broken, as at different point on each trace all I have is an earth connection.
I just wondering if you can get something to paint onto the broken traces to fix them or is it worth just getting a new rear window but I've got no idea how much that's going to cost.
Why couldn't it have been something easy like a relay or fuse:angry: ?

Screenshot_20191026-194108_Samsung Internet.jpg

You can get after market full element kits.
I got one. Then couldn't be bothered, and gave it away.

I just fitted a new screen in the end..

@chapel gate Any idea how much a new rear screen costs, as seems all but one of the elements is broken

@fbnss I thought about something like that but after watching the youtube videos on the application it looks awful to do and awful finish.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
About £300 Iirc. Will be more now as was a long time ago.

Don't know about aftermarket, never looked.

I tried the special paint but it was crap. Eventually ordered a screen from Autowindscreens, mainly because of the price they quoted which turned out to be way off and massively under priced, and ended up getting it for just over have price £246 (Dec 2016). I seem to remember a screen from a local Toyota dealer was around £800. Can’t remember what Autoglass quoted but it was somewhere in between. Removal and refitting isn’t that difficult if you fancy DIY. I found it wouldn’t seal without some form of mastic sealer. The FSM also shows the use of sealer.

I can’t bring myself to spend more than >300 quid to just get the heated windscreen working. Shame you can just get like stick on strips.

I friend of mine bought a cheap 12v heated fan, wired it into a switch on the dash and stuck it on the parcel shelf after his HRW packed up and it £££ to get it replaced.

I’m tempted to do that and just use the same contacts as the heated windscreen

With the circuit fused at 20A it’ll easily run a 120W fan. My Bro used one to clear the windscreen in his old car and it was pretty effective. Not as effective as the heated windscreen he now has in his new Focus though!

I would not bother with it, not had a truck in the ages that you can even see out of the back window just use my mirrors

Check what kind of window replacement Ins you Have... If all is in order and your excess is not too Crazy..... Then just have a little accident one Morning!...

Not sure if it's handy, but during the last few days deluges, I noticed that the windows with privacy film on them didn't seem to mist up.

There are anti mist treatments for the inside of helmet visors. Can’t say I’ve ever tried them on the inside of car windows but they worked quite well on my old helmets without pinlock visors.

What about a reverse camera and as said a small heater

There are anti mist treatments for the inside of helmet visors. Can’t say I’ve ever tried them on the inside of car windows but they worked quite well on my old helmets without pinlock visors.
Neat washing up liquid used to work for a couple of days on single glazed caravan windows back in the day.
Wouldn't want to get it in my eyes though..

Well just got a quote from Autoglass 900 quid eeekkk.

Back