Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heater valve enquiry - no heating

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hey Guys long time time posting something for the cruiser. Hope you’re healthy and well.

Yesterday had some gremlins on the cruiser hit me all at once. Most important right now is somehow the heating stopped working.

Checked all hoses for heat and leaks - Ok
Checked for heater valve that shows movement to open and close on the outside wire.

Did find the left passenger carpet wet but unsure if it’s rain getting in somehow or the heater matrix issue I replaced some years back. Driving it with the blower heat on (no real heat) didn’t see any water running down as far today in the passenger well and no signs of red coolent now so I’m hoping that’s not the issue because that’s a real pain in the ass job lol
Otherwise can if be the heater valve that looks to work but if broken inside?

Any ideas

Thanks

lets hope its not a leak on the Heater Matrix..... Sod of a job that one....

Has it stopped entirely or is just not hot ?
Are the pipes to the heater matrix warm or hot ?
Does the engine run at it's normal temp or take longer than usual to warm up ?

Update.

It at first appeared just cool only even when the temp on the dash was at normal running temps last night.
Today checked pipes on the heater valve on both ends and below - very hot
Playing with the hot and cold back and forth today on the climate control unit it did perhaps from this or not sure start getting warm but lukewarm at best.
Engine temps are normal.

Checking the passenger side under the floor carpet revealed water only on the seat/door side and not the inner tunnel/bulkhead side. That needs further investigation.

Thanks

Yeah, that was my first go to seeing water where there shouldn't be in the footwell Andy.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Would you not smell the damp area? Anti freeze coolent has a nose. Are you finding the coolant needs topping up?

Checked all the coolant and looks ok as well as leaks. Not had must time to go deeper been busy and with the rain getting in the way for now. Gonna take it to the Garage in the city at some point and get it looked at. Just trying to go over the obvious points looking for answers till then.

I'm wondering if the heater valve is broken inside and not functioning to allow the hot coolant into the heater matrix / cabin.

If it were linked with the heater system then I would have thought you would see a drop in coolant, unless it is just a weep.
My 80 had a leak in the pipework to the rear heater and somehow that made the driver's footwell wet. A friend's 80 was wet inside and I think we traced it to blocked ducting from the sun roof.

Just seen this after heavy rain. Upon review it’s clean water. Not sure where its coming from?

C9BBEA44-4A7D-4F40-AF2B-DFB30050B765.jpeg

Whats your engine temperature gauge doing ? could it be the thermostat is sticking ?

My thoughts Shayne,,,, stuck open , surprisingly common or even fallen apart .
As an aside never take the thermostat out a cooling system that's running hot ....all you will do is cause parts of the block to have insufficient cooling as the restriction caused by the thermostat is removed and water takes the quickest route round the block....often on a 6 cylinder inline engine this is cylinder number 6 .

I’m really not sure sure but noticed today the dash guage is a little lower than normal when driving. That appeared normal the other day so that might be a indication on where to look.

A992352A-6946-4065-AFE1-9FE10FC02B65.jpeg

Bought one a couple of years back Grimbo but never fitted it. A bit of a pain as the starter motor is in the way and needs pulling off. . If it's this it would be good to know to change over and fix this issue. Thanks

1639933169714.png

Update after another night of rain for some reason no more water came in and all dried up.

Attachments

• 2C173771-5A1F-4CE8-973E-B828DB3F5FB3.jpeg
    2C173771-5A1F-4CE8-973E-B828DB3F5FB3.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 26
A quick taste of fluid will reveal what it is. Water; No taste, Coolant Sweet, Brake Fluid, Bitter, Oil No taste but obviously oil when added to a little water. Doing so will encourage plenty of saliva for spitting out.

I have never had the problem so can't be of much help but i'm sure there are many threads relating to blocked drains . A separate issue that cleared itself maybe .

Tasted it as being water the other day and was thanking my lucky stars it not being the heater matrix Frank. Thanks

Shayne checked today again the sunroof / front windscreen pillars and all were dry after days and days of rain this last week. I thought the outside front windscreen gully may be the cause and was gonna blow compressed air to help unlodge anything blocking the drainage but now the water disapeared. The investigation continues lol

Back