Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

heating problem

G

Julian
Many Thanks for your explanation on the thermostat issue. I know I do tend to ramble a good bit SORRY about that.
So the bottom hose from the rad is supposed to be cold coming from the rad if the rad is doing its job,YES.
The coolent in the rad coming out of the hose at the top of the engine is hot, cools down via the rad and is then returned to the engine to do its job again, YES.
So I only need to worry if the coolent going back into the engine via the bottom hose is hot, YES.
I had a closer look at the thermostat and there is a little toggle in the other part of it but it seems way to small to let coolent through. If the bottom hose is cold the thermostat remains closed,YES and its only if the water returning to the engine is hot then the thermostat opens allowing more water through.
How do you know if the coolent is circulating at all, could it just remain still with out you knowing.
Remaining hot at the top hose and cold at the bottom one. I tried to see if I could feel the flow of coolent going through the top hose for a few seconds, but I couldnt.The bottom hose is not warm but tends to always be cold is this normal.
Thanks for bearing with me on this
John c
HDJ 80

Hi John,
Your engine would overheat pretty quickly if the coolant isn't flowing.
--
Regards,
Julian Voelcker
Mobile: 07971 540362
Cirencester, United Kingdom
1994 HDJ80, 2.5" OME Lift, ARB

Back