Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

heating problems

G

Hello Guys
I am having problems with my heater, it will not blow any hot air only luke warm air, The top hose is hot from the rad while the bottom hose is cold from the rad. I put a new thermostat in today which made no difference at all. I tested the old thermostat by putting it in a basin of hot water and it opened to about 2 or 3mm which I think is fine. I have checked the heater cable and it is working well. Will this problem with the heater having a hot hose on the top and a cold hose on the bottom harm the engine at all. Any ideas please.
John c
HDJ 80

John,
By "top hose" and "bottom hose" do you mean the hoses connected to the
heat exchanhger, or the radiator? If he former, do you mean you
checked benhind the dashboard?
--
Rgds,
Roman (London, UK)
'92 HDJ80
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:37:20 -0000, john byrne <[Email address removed]> wrote:

Hello Roman
I mean the top hose that leads into the top of the rad which is hot when engine is at normal temp and the bottom hose comes out from the left hand side at the bottom of the rad is cold when the engine is at normal operating temp. I checked the heater cable in the engine compartment was moving when some one else moved the switch on the dash. Will this harm my engine.
thanks
John c

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:50:24 -0000, john byrne <[Email address removed]> wrote:
John
You will appeciate that fixing cars over the internet is pretty
challenging, particularly that a description that seems obvious when
you stand next to the car is not always obvious when you read it. If
it were otherwise, some of us could get very rich without moving our
a$$es off the chair ;-)
For instance, which part do you refer to when you say that "the heater
cable in the engine compartment was moving when some one else moved
the switch on the dash"?
When you refer to the heater and radiator in one sentence, it is
basically the same system, but heating the cabin is a secondary
function of the cooling system. You expect the bottom hose (water
flowing into the engine) to be coller than the top hose (water flowing
away from the engine). Whether hot water reaches the heat exchanger in
the cabin is another matter. The switch on the dashboard is supposed
to control a valve in the system allowing circulation through the
exchanger. If you believe that's the case, there's no reason why you
should not get warm air inside the cabin, unless flow through the
exhanger is restricted by some kind of obstruction (collapsed hose,
corrosion....)
I assume the thermostat is working OK and the engine is not
overcooled, because you would also complain about the temp gauge on
the dashboard not moving up after driving for 10-15minuts.
Rgds,
Roman (London, UK)
'92 HDJ80

Hi Jon
Many thanks for all the advice you are giving. Sorry I didnt realise that there was such a problem with the wolves in the balkans.and the snakes, bears, big cats and the boar. Your right I would not like to brake down and encounter any of these. I suppose its one thing looking at them on the tv in a warm house by the fire and being able to change the channel if you dont like what you see. We dont even have snakes thanks its said to our st patrick a long time ago. I have nothing but praise for the work you do and deeply respect your commitment to helping others who have seen the worst of man kind. Maybe its not so bad here in Ireland ill think about that one.
I had to buy the new thermostat for the cruiser because I would not have been able to get some one to see if the old one was ok and them seal it back up again. It would have cost me just as much to get this guy to look at it as it would to replace it. So I thought that while I was at it why not replace it and be sure. I would normally have looked at it myself but I slipped a disk in my back last may and have been out of work since them . I tried to bend over the engine but was unable to even do this little thing because of pain. No more about that, I will try your suggestion regarding the back blowers and see what happens, and also block the rad with carboard and see if the bottom hose gets warm. And as you say if the blowers in the back are warm then it will be the dash switch I will then get some body to look at it as I cant bend too well to investigate. Can you explain some thing to me, The coolent in the engine goes through the engine to cool it then goes to the top of the engine and via the top hose into the rad where it is cooled and returned into the engine via the bottom hose from the rad into the engine,YES, in this hose is the thermostat which lets the cold coolent back into the engine,YES, and the proceedure starts again. Why do you need a thermostat in this hose and if it only opens when the coolent is hot how does it let the coolent back in when the coolent returning from the rad is cold. The spring part of the thermostat goes into the engine so for it to open wouldnt the coolent on the inside of the engine near where the thermostat is installed have to be hot for it to open and let in the cold coolent and if it did wouldnt the coolent now behind the spring be cold and so close the thermostat and then no more coolent could get in. I know I must have the theory wrong because the engine would heat up too much and it doesnt, so please correct me. If i am talking S---- tell me.
Thanks
John c
HDJ80

Hi John,
Firstly a minor admin - could you try to break your messages up into
smaller sentences, it makes them very hard to follow as one long
sentence.
OK, the water pump is pumping all the time and the thermostat has a
small 'jiggle valve' that allows some water to pass through it.
As the engine warms up the hot water circulates slowly around the
system being cooled by the radiator.
If the flow of water through the rad isn't fast enough to keep the
engine cool the water returning from the engine will still be hot
causing the thermostat to open more and thus the flow to increase
leading to better cooling.
--
Regards,
Julian Voelcker
Mobile: 07971 540362
Cirencester, United Kingdom
1994 HDJ80, 2.5" OME Lift, ARB