Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heavy duty clutch recommendations.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Well, didn't think I would be needing one of these before fitting a G turbo/wink.

Couple of days ago floored it going up a steep hill in fourth, hit the sweet spot, turbo whistled and the boost gauge shot up to 15 psi.

As did the tacho..

Slipped on a couple of occasions now, so turned down the boost a bit. Bear in mind this is a virtually new oem clutch.

Do the heavy duty clutches feel the same as a new oem one?

You burnt it but the scorch will wear off if you intend to keep the boost lowered . Racers use heavy duty clutches to avoid the same problem it won't feel any different it just won't slip .

I think I would check the adjustment of the actuating mechanism. Theres no way an oem clutch should slip after 10K , after all, you havn't doubled the power, bearing in mind the original clutch lasted how long?

I did it to my 80 last week when i hooked a car to tow up the steepest street i know , to much heat glazed the pads but theres lots of wear under the glaze so i will just wait until normal driving rubs off the glaze .

Im still on the Original Clutch at over 325,000, Iv checked back through all the invoices and History since it was new and no sign of a Clutch being fitted, Previous owner had it 16 yrs and he never fitted one, So as Andy says, After10,000 it should still be like new...... Easy on that Peddle Mike!

I have an oem reinforced/heavy duty clutch fitted in the 80.
Works like it should, pleasant to drive.
Also had one fitted in the hzj75 after a turbo was fitted because the original one slipped. Truck has been to the himalaya and back since then with no issues.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I thing the 80 clutch is pretty tough 'as is', and given it can handle pulling a trailer and run at around 7 ton I would be looking for another issue Mike.

I would start with the actuating rod, see if it has a little play in it or at least is not applying too much pressure to the release arm, it could be holding the pressure plate off the disc a little. Also check for any signs of fluid leakage, rear seal, antifreeze etc.

Did you face the flywheel?

Also there are two different clutches for the 80, I know you would know this, but if considering putting in a new one then fit the heavier/larger clutch option, but you will IIRC need to change the flywheel as well.

When I had to change my gearbox IIRC the original mileage on the OE clutch was well over 200,000 miles and showed minimum wear, I did fit a new Aisin clutch/slave cylinder/pilot bearing while the whole caboodle was out as it made sense.

As has been said 10,000 miles is nothing on a the OEM clutch.

regards

Dave

sorry for the late response.

yes, the clutch i replaced was original getting on for 300000 miles, would of done even more if i didnt have my red flag to a bull moment..

i didnt face the fly wheel, seemed in reasonable shape, new clutch felt great with no judder. i have the 300mm clutch in my 96.

i wasnt aware there was any clutch adjustment other than the pedal height, ill dig into the fsm.

cheers all.

AFAIK there is no 80 with an adjustable clutch, but have seen incorrectly cut push rods being too long, this messes the auto adjust.

Something to be aware of when sourcing a clutch for the 80. A clutch has to be actuated by the user with an element of ease, so a heavy duty for an 80 in one market can be different for an 80 in another.

A heavy duty clutch is available for the 80 but is it the one for the servo assist?

A heavy duty clutch set for a servo vehicle is virtually impossible operate comfortably with a non servo 80.

regards

Dave

@chapel gate Aha! By chance I was looking through the FSM for the 80 for a MUD member and found the clutch adjustment, it is at the pedal Mike incorrect adjustment may hold the clutch pressure plate back a little resulting in accelerated wear?

I know you have the manuals, it is on pages CL3 and CL4.

Poor internet connection in slowing stuff down, but if you want I will try in the morning when it is a bit quieter to get you a couple of pictures?

regards

Dave

cheers for that dave. ill check to see if its in spec.

thanks for the offer, ill trawl through the fsm. keep meaning to get a paper copy as i hate looking at it on a "device"..

Back