Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heavy rain killed all electrics

Haynes or Max Ellery are there any 24 valve specific books ?

Haynes or Max Ellery are there any 24 valve specific books ?
Against popular opinion i like the haynes. I hated the max ellery. You can have it if you like. I also use a couple of versions of the fsm.

There's a 24v specific engine FSM. I don't think the body wiring looms are that different to the earlier models. I also have the Haynea and the ME paper manuals. Both have there pro'a and con's. My first port of call is always the FSM's.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would be looking at simple things to start with Shayne.

Think dry driving, radio , perhaps lights no problem.

Think wet driving, radio, perhaps lights, wipers, heater blower high to demist, heated rear window, you get the scenario.

Now think loose fan belt for example, if loose enough and wet from splashes you get the dashboard lights as no charge from the alternator.

The additional load may have cooked already old fusible links, poor battery terminals, oh and whilst I agree its best to hide the hammer, whacking things really hard really does make me feel a lot better!

Regards

Dave

Exactly what happened to me Dave. Going round M42 in heavy traffic in middle lane. A/C, heater and lights on. Raining then a smell of burning rubber. I thought it was the lorry next to me then I panicked but realized it might be loose belts and turned everything off and the smell stopped. Quite frightening TBH as I could not pull over to the shoulder.

My beloved V12 Jaguar Couple showed up a similar thing many years back Frank, twin electric fans, serious sound system, ok until the rain came, HRW, heater fan, wipers ect.

The electronic ignition started to have a heart attack as the voltage dropped too low, engine started to misfire, fortunately I recognised what was going on, pulled out of the traffic and switched everything off bar the engine and fans. Let it run for around 20 minutes, battery voltage came up and I got home.

Regards

Dave

I suppose a loose slipping belt is a possibility but I've never had a belt loose enough to bring the lights on on the dash. I've had belts squeal under full load (especially with the engine air heater on @50A draw) but still no dash lights. The alternator would have to virtually stop to do that IMO.

I suppose a loose slipping belt is a possibility but I've never had a belt loose enough to bring the lights on on the dash. I've had belts squeal under full load (especially with the engine air heater on @50A draw) but still no dash lights. The alternator would have to virtually stop to do that IMO.

A wet belt will slip, often enough to bring up the no charge light, seen it a couple of times on the 80 when hitting deep standing water, that was when I replaced the baffle under the belt, I left it off when working on the electric fan install, and promptly forgot about it. No rain for many months, small monsoon and the no charge light, obviously aggravated by the aforementioned additional loads, to be fair, being mechanically sympathetic I do not run overly tight belts.

80's aside, this is a very common problem on older cars with transverse engines, the wheels throwing water under the engine, nowadays most have baffles and serpentine self tensioning belts.

Regards

Dave

Thanks all after much ado i went puddle hunting and the alternator belt snapped so yeah simplest things first .

The book question was more general its nice to have paper insight on the floor next to you when your under the truck .

Agree 100% on the paper info. I put the FSM's on a tablet but it was a bit of a faff trying to scroll through the pages with greasy mitts and trying not to drop spanners etc on it. Now I just print out the relevant pages then save them on a clipboard on the garage wall.

Agree 100% on the paper info. I put the FSM's on a tablet but it was a bit of a faff trying to scroll through the pages with greasy mitts and trying not to drop spanners etc on it. Now I just print out the relevant pages then save them on a clipboard on the garage wall.
I do the same, then one night i noticed my mrs using one of them laminating machines.. oh yes!:eusa-dance:

The book question was more general its nice to have paper insight on the floor next to you when your under the truck .

It's funny how after a few years under the bonnet, and unless looking for particular torque setting I hardly touch a book. Not wanting to sound big headed by that statement but, different manufacturers tend to follow their own trends in design/assembly methods, and you get to know them.

If possible print pages copies as per TP but try for FSM, some books have ridiculous errors and Max Ellery is no exception, check out their 80 wheel bearing setting for example.

Regards

Dave

My 90 is my first car Dave i'd never had so much as a driving lesson when seen it and i passed my test a month after i bought it on the 12/12/2012 . Doubled up on the devil himself :icon-wink:

I was a bike man that's why i walk with a limp :)

Mine done the same thing it was raining the othet day lights started flashing disconnected the battery. Yesterday was sunny connected the battery back and everything was back to normal done a investigation and realised the car is leaking right on the relays under the steering wheel top right side of the gas pedal. The floor was wet to so i took out the plug under the carpet let it drain out its still a bit moist but it will dry up by tomorow.

It's more than likely the windscreen Giray, especially if you've had a new one at some point. They need sealing with non setting windscreen sealant when they are fitted.

It's more than likely the windscreen Giray, especially if you've had a new one at some point. They need sealing with non setting windscreen sealant when they are fitted.

Absolutely agree, it took a couple attempts to get mine 'nearly' right. Modern screen fitters are used to using fast setting sealants, as the windscreen forms part of the strength of the typical car body. Most have little experience with the old style fitting procedure and materials. The 80 body is mounted on rubber and most definitely flexes as the vehicle moves, if the sealant sets hard then it either creaks when cold on rough ground (mine) or cracks and leaks.

Mine will have to be done again however, it is way down the list at the moment, the creaking drives me nuts but it will have to wait.

Regards

Dave

Back