Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hedgehog - 3rd leg of round the world - Southern Africa

SteveS

Preparing now for our next adventure - this time we're taking the 100 to Southern Africa. Waiting to book the container to Walvis Bay, Namibia to arrive there around mid April. Next steps will be to sort out the Carnet de Passage and of course our flights. We should finish in Durban in late November. Outline map below

Southern Africa high level namibia start.jpg

Preparing now for our next adventure - this time we're taking the 100 to Southern Africa. Waiting to book the container to Walvis Bay, Namibia to arrive there around mid April. Next steps will be to sort out the Carnet de Passage and of course our flights. We should finish in Durban in late November. Outline map below

View attachment 112771
Enjoy Namibia, and if you've never been, you will love it. Enjoy the good/better roads there as well. Is that Epupa Falls at number 11?

yes I'm looking forward to Namibia and Epupa Falls - I think we have got most of the highlights covered but if you have any recommendations then I'd be pleased to her them

yes I'm looking forward to Namibia and Epupa Falls - I think we have got most of the highlights covered but if you have any recommendations then I'd be pleased to her them
See if you can camp at Palmwag Lodge (manager-Fritz Schenk), on the way up to Epupa, as there will be a very good chance in you seeing desert adapted elephants and if you are really lucky black rhino and lion. Don't leave your BBQ unattended in Okaukeujo, to go and watch rhinos at the waterhole, as the jackals will clear it out for you, and the same goes for baboons and vervet monkeys, once you get to the big rivers. Shamvura Camp (Charlie & Mark Paxton) is owned by friends of mine and is on the confluence of the Cuito and Okavango rivers, and they have good camping.
I would avoid camping at Namutoni, as the camp was in a very disappointing state when we were there last, and the perimeter fence was broken, resulting in lions coming into the camp and as you can imagine, it does not make for great camping.

DO I read the map correct?
You plan to go through Tundoma onto Tanzania & leave south of Mbeya heading into Malawi?

I caould also recommend Lake Kariba / Kariba Dam & possibly a detour into the CKGR

Could You please share some details on the shipping You have chosen? Container I assume?

I have an aquaintance who will ship to Dar es Salaam early spring to explore East Africa.

ENJOY :)

I just canselled my SouthAfrica-trip for 2017 :-/

I assume 37 is Mutinondo Wilderness. Def worth a visit. Go and spend a night or 2 at the remote campsite there. Its a few more pence but wonderfully secluded. Also a few KM's north is Chipoma Falls which are really worth checking out. Its free to camp there and very basis (just a long drop) but is a really pretty place to hang out for a day or 2.

Is the route set in stone now or are you open to options. The road runs below Lake Kariba is a bit of an adventure, and Matusodona NP is definitely worth the effort to get there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If You are into waterfalls, may I suggest a minor detour & visit the Kalambo Falls?

If my latest info is correct, they can now be accessed/viewed/visited from both the Zambian & Tanzanian side.
Tanzanian side bringing You right to the drop.
We used to go dipping in the smal smal "pool" right before the drop:fearscream:

Thanks for all your thoughts.....we are not planning to go into Tanzania (already been there) and will stay on the Zambian side. We're planning to drive from Mpulungu, close to the border but not over the border at Tunduma (Tanzania - here to force the mapping to not go another way), and Nakonde then Isoka then Chisenga Malawi. I'm not convinced that that is the best way into Malawi - so any thoughts from those of you with experience will be great. The route is not cast in stone and we generally take detours from the general route to see POI. We like lakes, mountains, geological stuff, and of course for Africa the animals

We used to cross into Zambia from Tanzania on the Isopa-Mbala-crossing.
Rarely used the Tundoma, unless it was heavy rain(y season). Less-> No tarmac back then...
If You do go through Mbeya & need a place to stay, try Utengule (Country resort?) on the West side of town.
We crossed into Malawi @ Songwe Border Post. As long as the women where dressed properly this must have been the easiest border crossings we had back then.
May I also recommend the beaches @ Karonga, Nkhata & Nkopola? They at least used to be great :)

Thanks for all your thoughts.....we are not planning to go into Tanzania (already been there) and will stay on the Zambian side. We're planning to drive from Mpulungu, close to the border but not over the border at Tunduma (Tanzania - here to force the mapping to not go another way), and Nakonde then Isoka then Chisenga Malawi. I'm not convinced that that is the best way into Malawi - so any thoughts from those of you with experience will be great. The route is not cast in stone and we generally take detours from the general route to see POI. We like lakes, mountains, geological stuff, and of course for Africa the animals
You can always cross from Zambia to Malawi in the north east at the Nyika plateau. Beautiful mountain park, with hopefully still one of the largest leopard populations. You can then make your way down to the lake. I used to run safaris between Zambia (South Luangwa, Bangweulu Swamp and Nyika, to Malawi, and then the entire length virtually of the lake. See if you can get onto Mount Soche, the place is amazing and obviously Lengwe NP. Small off the, in those days, beaten track places.

@werner; As far North as Chipita?
Different maps show different tracks o_O
I have not checked with T4A:(:innocent:
Yep. It is beautiful up there. Camping on Nyika on the Malawi side, is like going back to the 60's. There are evergreen forests up there, ideal for a short walk.

Nyika sounds great - i will take a look at the crossing there. We will be hitting some of the beaches on the lake, like Nkhata, for a little R&R.

See if you can camp at Palmwag Lodge (manager-Fritz Schenk), on the way up to Epupa, as there will be a very good chance in you seeing desert adapted elephants and if you are really lucky black rhino and lion.

A +1 for Palmwag. We didn't stay their (during my recent trip in Sept 2016), however, Fritz really helped us out when our wheel came off our Hilux in the middle of the desert. It's a lovely place and I've seen recent pics of the elephants coming into camp, very cool.

I've a couple of recommendations for accommodation:

Around your point 7 there's Rooiklip gust farm. The place is simply stunning. You camp in a cave half way up a cliff (you can drive your vehicle up to it!). We stayed in Cave no.3. http://www.rooiklip.iway.na/camp-e.html
rooiklip-guest-farm.jpg

Around your point no.14, there's the Waterberg Wilderness Campsite. A gorgeous chilled place, lots of soft sand, very friendly people (especially so for Namibia). http://www.waterberg-wilderness.com/

Around your point no.12 there's Bambatsi gust farm. An extremely welcoming place with amazing sights. Primarily German focused but they speak English well. The communal evening meal is extremely frienldy and enjoyable. http://www.bambatsi.com/

Also, if you go to Outjo, please visit the Outjo Bakery. Lovely hot meals, amazing savoury snacks and great cakes.

Thanks Animal Mother and Werneroeder for the info. I will put your recommendations into our master sheet so that we can make our way there.

Thanks Animal Mother and Werneroeder for the info. I will put your recommendations into our master sheet so that we can make our way there.
One question-where can I get that interactive map, that you use? I am planning a 2018 trip and would find a map like yours very helpful.

Back