Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello All. New to Land Cruisers and forums!

Username

Country Flag
spain
Howdy,
I'm an American living in Spain who just bought a 1988 BJ73 (with sweet decals down the sides). I love it. It definitely is a truck, without a doubt and hopefully it'll be with me for a long time to come. I bought it with the intention of slowly bringing it back to health. It's got the nautical 2.5 VM 5 cylinder which everyone seems to hate and I'm sure I will find out why, but I doubt I will ever hate anything about this beauty because I drove a Lada Niva for 7 years and loved every minute of it. This is also the first forum I've ever joined so take it easy on me.

I'll have some better pics soon, I haven't had much time recently for much other than work.
LC at el rayo.jpg
LC parked.jpg

Hello and welcome...

Whereabouts in Spain are you? We live in the eastern part of Andalusia.

The VM 5 cylinder... the most important gauge you have is the temperature - don't let it overheat as that will warp the aluminium heads (5 individual heads) and then the problems start. Hopefully you have a good one.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger,

I'm up in Asturias, a bit of a hike from Andalusia!
Thanks for the advice on the engine temp. The gage seems to work fine because I was watching it, along with all the other ones, when I drove it from Galicia after buying the two ton block of metal.
Is there an online parts store which carries new and refurbished parts for the BJ73? I found a really nice one from the US but the shipping costs were astronomical.
Hope all is well down in your part of Spain!

Thanks.
Mike

Hi Mike,

For parts try ww.euro4x4parts.com - a French company with a Spanish office, Spanish and English speakers,
or www.megastore4x4.pt who are based near Lisbon, English spoken.

Euro are new parts and OEM Toyota parts while Mega do have some used parts. Both are very helpful.

The VM is an Italian engine and there are dealers for parts but I don't know who or where they are.

Nice part of the world you are in. Years ago we spent some time in the area, mostly in the Picos.

Regards

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Rodger,

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. I can already feel the power steering pump vying for attention amongst the gang of well-worn parts.

Asturias is amazing, mountains, sea and with global warming...sun. (Though that last bit is more ominous than enjoyable.)

Regards,

Mike

Back