Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello all

Jon1980

Country Flag
united_states
I've got a 1991 cruiser 233,000 miles. It's my daily driver, Its pretty much stock and is currently broke. I'm was working on trying to find an oil leak and trying to clean up the engine with all the dirt and oil build up. So I started taking all the air intake hoses and what not off. I broke the solder joints on the Air Flow Meter. Attempted to re solder them back and apparently failed. So now it doesn't want to start like it did and also runs pretty rough when not in over drive. I'm pretty basic on mechanics I would like to think. But this is beyond my capabilities. I've looked at all the standard parts houses and they dont offer this part. Ebay has this AFM for around $250 U.S. So my question's are.

1. As a daily driver with this high of mileage is it worth the risk? With the unknown slow leaks that it has.

2. Is there an engine swap that is straight forward? One that would increase the mpg.

3. Part it out or sell it out right?

I need something that is dependable. I'd love to be able to keep this as a toy but it's really getting to cost more than it's worth for my situation.

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited:
Hi Jon, I can only say welcome aboard the forum and trust that someone can offer you some helpful advice, I can’t really, other than these beasts have a reliability rating close to 100% yet that doesn’t mean they never give problems.

My view is:

I’d say press on to get it fixed maybe with a s/h or better repaired existing part...

There’s no straight forward engine swap that I know of that would reduce consumption...

Sale or px on a non-runner of that age would be a give-away...

Not much I can say except good luck...

Thanks for the insight, I've managed to find a used part. I'm having it shipped to me. Pray it fixes the issue. Not sure what S/H is? That being said it's almost impossible to find any OEM parts for it.

Thanks for the insight, I've managed to find a used part. I'm having it shipped to me. Pray it fixes the issue. Not sure what S/H is? That being said it's almost impossible to find any OEM parts for it.

S/H = Second hand, breaker’s yard, dunno what you call them in the US...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So I got the part installed, (AFM) Still acted hesitant on the acceleration. Not as bad though, so I had already purchased new plugs for it. Went ahead and replaced them. Started running like a champ. Rmp around 1000 rmp. I took it out last night to drive it more and the rmp dropped to around 5-600, started acting like it was misfiring. So I think there is a vaccine leak somewhere. Still running rich. Idk, this is my next task to look into.

Back