Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello Everyone

Cruiserdude

Country Flag
great_britain
IMG_1827.PNG
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie and the proud owner of an 80 Series beast! It's a 1995 with the 1HDT 12v engine which has covered 163k. It's in reasonable shape, pretty standard for now but with some plans to add various things along the way. I bought it in April this year and plan to keep it indefinetly. I'ts my daily driver, which is a tad expensive on fuel so looking at possibly making biodiesel ir using veggie oil if I can get assurances that it will accept it.

I'm based in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, which might not be on most people's radar cos its so far north - let me tell you, it feels a long way from anywhere! Any of you guys up this way?

I plan to keep the beast as a road going vehicle but would like to add some of the very cool looking offroad features which I've seen around and hope to do some overland adventures as I love the outdoors.

Look forward to chatting to some of you guys and generally reading and hearing about your rigs and adventures. Any meet ups would also be great

Cheers,
Mark

Ps. I know I like pics, so added a few of my rig.
IMG_1827.PNG
IMG_1831.JPG

Hey Mark, that’s a lovely looking 80 you have there, welcome aboard!

It’s so “stock” looking, it’s almost a shame to bolt anything to it!

Very nice indeed, enjoy. :thumbup:

Hi Mark, welcome to the madhouse which is the best LC forum about.
Well that answers one question,who bought Ash's 80.

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/95-80-series-for-sale.147657/

I put it on the forum a while back as he is local to me and been round a few times, nice truck in great condition.
Did you buy it off Ash? or had it changed hands inbetween?
If you did you certainly had a long drive. I did Aberdeen and back, towing. 800 mile round trip in 17 hours with a 1 1/2 hour turn round.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comment and welcome Clive :grinning: I've also considered leaving it stock too, still trying to decide on what mods to do.

Hi Andy, yes! I bought it directly from Ash back in April. I had quite a drive north but enjoyed every mile :grinning: I've had to do a bit of work underneath since in the rear arches and quarter sections but generally it's in great condition. The link you posted is the one I bought it from :thumbup:

That's some trip you did especially having to turn around and go back so soon!

Cheers for the welcome guys, I look forward to chatting and learning more with ownership and adding something to the forum! :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A warm welcome Mark, nice looking ride, if you want to do some mods just have your black cheque ready.....lol

p.s ran mine on SVO for a few years but switched back to diesel with some teething issues best to speak to Karl here as his more experienced on this.

Welcome aboard. You just need a couple of inches of lift, bigger tyres... you know, the usual. ;-)

Obvious question - BEBs done?

Yep Mark, there's nothing like the cost of an IP rebuild to negate the saving on fuel.

Hey Guys,

Cheers for the comments, much appreciated. Sounds like I'll leave the fuel system alone then, thanks for the heads up and helping me avoid unnecessary expense.

Dervis, I'm starting to realise the blank cheque book already, lol.

I do like the look of the lifted rigs Dave, yeh. I think I'd settle for the 2" but currently unsure what other mods would be required on the underside due to the change in angles on things like the bushes etc. Was hoping to lift using shocks & springs only and get a kit that would give a comfortable ride for mostly road driving with occasional offroad use. Any recommendations on the best kit for that guys?

BEB's, you'll have to excuse my inexperience, but how does one know if what you're removing is a standard or non-standard size bearing? Is it to simply remove and measure using something like digital calipers or is it stamped on the bearing? I had wanted to get a set of the Australian ones but couldn't find a supplier so ordered a standard set from Milners - when I got up in there, I was short on time but stopped when I saw white paint on only one pair of cap bolts assuming someone has already been done something. I aim to change them
anyway just to be sure but would be grateful on your tips guys. Clearly I'm not a mechanic but I can do most things with a few pointers and a bucket load of enthusiasm!

Thanks again for your warm welcome everyone, definitely the best move I've made in a while, joining your forum!

Cheers,
Mark :thumbup:

Back