Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello everyone :)

kanya3

Supporter
Hi Guys,

My name is Suneel. Nice to be part of this forum.

I have a 2005 LC4 D 4D Auto and we call him Rafa. Done 155K miles.

Rafa has taken us on lot of adventures across Europe & beyond but the highlight so far has been driving from London to India.

I have been planning a long drive from London to Capetown for many years but pandemic has meant postponing our journey multiple times, now hopeful for around the end of 2022.

Strains of age with wear & tear are catching up on Rafa. To get it ready for this arduous journey, I think lot of TLC will be needed.

A new rear axle housing as stabilisers have rusted away beyond salvage, underbody protection, roof rack, winch, spare tyre attachment on the rear door as hard-shell roof tent won't leave any space on the top.

I am looking forward to the helpful advice & suggestions from seasoned LC enthusiasts.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 37
Thanks GeekOKent. They sure can :) With some recommendations & advice from members here, we are hoping to make Rafa resilient for more challenges.
I also live in Southeast and it seems you are too. Was wondering if you could recommend some good 4x4 Expedition Prep companies in SE. There are quite a few things that I would like to get done for the upcoming drive. Instead of doing piecemeal, trying to find someone who can do it all together and a good reputation with members here. Thanks.

It was indeed Dave. We did it in 2015 and I was also new to overloading then but Rafa didn't let us down except for blocked fuel line from dirty Diesel in Turkmenistan.
We do have FB page called thelongdrivehome2015. Do have a look, thanks :)

What I would recommend strongly is to find the next club meeting you can come to, and then just get there. Come see what everyone is doing, has done, and hear first hand the stories around prep and value.

Ultimately, think about what you are going to do yourself v/s get help for v/s outsource.

Thanks GeekOKent. Yes that's a good idea. I will have to outsource most things as I will probably make a mess of it.
There are quite a few things that need doing and some of the stuff is not always in stock.
I was hoping that if I get some recommendations, I can then get it looked at and see what the professionals have to say.

I went to Nene Overland in Peterborough who prepared it back in 2015 but they only do Land Rover work now.
Then to PB Customs & Milner 4x4 around that area but they aren't taking any new work.

In 2015 we were driving on well tarred roads throughout expect for few patches in Tibet so good service, spare tyres/few jerry cans is all that we needed but for Africa it will need a comprehensive prep.

I live in SE London but haven't dealt with any 4x4 companies here. This is what prompted me to join the group.

The most pressing issue is getting a new rear axle housing assembly as stabilisers have rusted.

I just got it investigated at local Toyota centre and they have quoted £2k just for the new housing, labour extra.

I am in two minds whether to get a new housing assembly or buy a old one from a breaker.

I will post another thread to see what guys here think about it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you just need bog standard work done, I can highly recommend Derek at tech-one in Sidcup. Call him and let him know KB from the land cruiser club asked you to come see him. If you can be flexible, he is willing to spend time working on and fixing things rather than just replace and fit-new. His labour charge is 50% of Toyota and his entire team is ex-toyota.

But again, most people on this forum will recommend you get familiar with the truck and do as much yourself. After all, when it breaks down in the middle of nowhere - you will only have yourself and what you know. For things you can't do yourself, much help is available here. Finally for the rest, outsource it and expect poor results.

Great, thanks. I will get in touch with him.
With outsource I meant to get it done by professionals who do expedition prep based and get it in as good a condition as it can be.
Hopefully Derek will tell me more.

Called him. He will be away on Holiday and is booking for second half of May now.

Thanks Jacob. I definitely will but I have get Rafa ready to go by July end.
I would like to get it looked at by a Expedition prep team & see what they think, what needs to be ordered, how much it will cost etc etc to plan ahead.
Lot of 4x4 garages aren't taking any new work, even to get an initial appointment takes 2-3 weeks that's why I joined the forum to get suggestions from other members.

Back