Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Australia

Karlos in a Cruiser

Country Flag
australia
Hey all

Im Karlos in a Cruiser but just call me Karlos.

My set of wheels is a VDJ79 Land Cruiser. Its a plain white workmate and work it does. I dont do any 4wd per say its mainly road and farm use.

The only mod ive got is a forwad facing air scoop and light bar. But im planning on putting a 5 post bullbar and 3 inch exhaust.

Ive drawn up plans for a ladder rack to go in/on the tray. Got my hands on about half of the square tube i need so far. Ill do all cutting and welding myself. Not sure on paint though yet. When its done ill enquire on the price for powder coating and decide then what to do. I have access to a spray booth if its a bit pricey. Plan is to cover damagable carry areas with checkerplate. Ill be doing the tops of the tray sides in checkerplate to when that time comes around.

Cruise control and remote locking will get be fitted at some point to.

Id like to change to mirrors to extendable towing mirrors for when i move some of the tractor implements from 1 farm to another. Bit safer and easier that way.

I also read somewhere about rear wheel spacers helping to keep you straight when driving on dirt or slippery surfaces. Id like to hear peoples opinion on that one...

I do all my own work but am in no way an experienced mechanic. Im pretty handy though, you have to be when farming. Up until recently ive been able to goto a friend whos a mechanic for any help or extra knowledge but hes recently moved away. Hope to pick everyones brains when i run into a bit of trouble.

Cheers and hope to chat soon.

Welcome, i know not a lot about your truck other than ronny dahl on youtube has one or similar and if i remember correctly had different offset wheels on the back to make the rear wheels follow in line with the front. he's now got a different axle on it.

Yeah thats the idea. The rear wheels are narrower than the front apparently. This causes it to slide a bit at times.

The spacers align them same as different offset wheels would id assume.

Ill have to look up this ronny dahl fellow...

I was just going through his vids to find where he mentions it. i'll paste a link if i find it.
but this is him

Edit, tiny mention of it at 4:19

Heres a pic of the Rig.

20171119_015218.jpg

Hes got a good looking and sounding cruiser there. Id of liked to get a GXL dualcab myself, they look tough ad hell. Just couldnt justify the extra 10-20k. And the tray is way to small for what i need.

Ill have that sound once i get around to the exhaust. Ill have to watch a bit more later to see what brand he picked... im leaning on the legendx. But ironman is cheaper...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thats it. I hadnt thought about less wheel nut being available... ive heard spacers arnt legal here but havnt looked into it yet. That would be why though.
i'm just looking for where mr white mentions it too. gimme a minute.
from about 1030, more detail

Last edited:
Thanks for searching that out. That info definately does raise some concerns. Might stay away from them i think.

Keep us posted with what you do.

Welcome aboard Karlos, sounds like you’ve got your teeth into cruisers already, or is it the other way around? :lol:

Nice 79, welcome to the club. :thumbup:

Please dont ruin it with a hideous 5 poster! :puke-front: :lol:

Regarding the different track width front to back, some people feel its very noticeable, especially in soft sand where the rear wheels being 50mm further in each side have to make their own ruts.

But theres also a lot of other people who really dont notice it or think of it as a problem. Some people have fitted rear spacers and then driven through soft sand and not been able to feel any difference.

So my advice would be to drive it and see how you go, I suspect you wont find it a problem. :think:

If you need to correct it the cheapest way is to run different off set wheels front to back, but that means carrying 2 spares.

I'd avoid wheel spacers as they are illegal in every state and territory and they void your insurance. :thumbdown:

Otherwise there are a few companies like JMax, Marks4wd, and Dana making complete rear axles for these which not only corrects the rear track issue but also increases the GVM and can include a coil conversion. :icon-cool:

Their all big money though! :shifty:

Haha they most certainly do clive.

I wouldnt put a 5er on anything but a cruiser... they look rediculously oversized on commodores and such.

But ive looked at ARB, Ironman even Toyota Genuine bars and they look like the cruiser is wearing harry potter glasses. They're just to small.

By the sounds of it spacers are not the way to go. And its not that much of an issue for me to put big money into. Although increased GVM you say....

Hi and and welcome good looking cruiser and r you riding a lion .

Why yes i am tony. It was a mighty fine lion to. I came second incase you were wondering.

Haha irlgw. What about the pic reminds you of that movie? I dont understand how youd get serial killer vibes from it. Haha.

Welcome aboard Karlos :thumbup:

Must admit I'm definitely getting a soft spot for the 70 series:icon-biggrin:
Now if I can get the Mrs to get rid of her roller skate (ford focus) we could have 2 Cruisers in the family :thumbup::lol::lol:

Some serious mood lighting and venue. Does look like a bit of a dinner date.

Brian S its the bonnet scoop that does it for me. Just makes it look that much better.

Does have its down sides though. The amount of leaves and bugs have to clean out is a pain.

Theres a cover (4 screws) over the intercooler that you have to take off. If you only take 1 side you bend the other. The fins are delicate as to. I bend a few everytime im in there with the vac.

Its in such a tempting spot to put tools to. Have to remind myself not to.

Hey Karlos, not a bad name ;) That's a moody looking 70. I love the pic, there's something about a real working land cruiser that puts us GJOB* to shame.

* a term from a previous forum of sports car owners that were too precious to use them and spent more time cleaning and polishing, GJOB - Garage Jewellery Owning Ba****ds

Back