Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

hello from Dublin

derekmurray68

Hi all,

After a 3 year search I've finally been matched with a 1984 landcruiser BJ40 and that has serious potential for a project.
I took delivery yesterday off the back of a trailer due to it been laid up for over ten years in some farmers barn in the south of Ireland. So I don't need to tell you if you know what these beasts are made of but literally after fitting a pair of batteries and dart of easy start I was driving my new ride before the dismantling starts.
Anyway I've been surfing the net looking for spare parts and finding alot of American,Austrailian websites, can anyone recommend good websites for all spare's required for a full restoration or any other helpful info?
I'm looking forward to been part of this club and getting your feedback, I will post pictures later this week and on an ongoing basis so you watch progress on this project.

Derek

Good work, welcome. Do you have any pictures? of what it looks like now? is it red by any chance? How rusty is it?
Jonnie

Hi Jonnie,

not using my own laptop so its a little arkward to post pictures today but will post some from Monday,
everything about this cruiser appears to be original but as you can imagine it hasnt escaped the usual rust prone areas,
having said that i've seen worse, all doors and door pillars require attention but the plan is to bring right down to the chassis for a full restoration.Some of the rear panels will equire replacing but hopefully I get these fabricated in Dublin. I ve good connections in Dublin for run of mill items but when it gets to detail items I will require all assistance.

derek

Welcome Derek,

We 40 guys got to help each other and watching http://www.lcoc.ie there a few of you over in the Emerald Isle rebuilding 40s but then you guys had the luxury of them being offically imported. Maybe we should put a post on here and on lcoc to find out what body parts everybody is after... you never know it might just give us a negotiating point with a like-minded fabrication shop.

Regards,

Welcome...and good luck with your project...hope to see some pics soon ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi all and thanks for the welcome,

I’m not exactly a technophobe but can someone explain how to post images as I’m not having much look uploading images.
Anyway the work has started and I’m making good progress, should be right down to the bare chassis by Friday but here’s the thing!!!
What’s your view on chassis preparation? Has anyone experience with sandblasting, powder coating or other forms of chassis finish?
I have made enquiries and some suggestions to having the chassis hot dip galvanised.There is a company in Dublin that will galvanise the chassis and then finish with galvacoat a tough, single application polyurethane top coat specifically formulate to adhere to non-ferrous metals such as zinc.
But what about the risk of heat distortion to the chassis?

Hi,
The chassis is very strong and, providing there are no cracks in it, the application of any the various types of protection/coating should be fine. Simple question for them, - have the done this process to a LR chassis without problems? If they have you have no problems because a LR frame is no where near as strong.
Regards,

Back