Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Holland !

Cruiserfan

Country Flag
netherlands
Just a short introduction, we are almost retired, but Cruiserfans since many decades.
Done 4x4 travelling in western Europe, Marocco, Iceland, seen many beautiful scenery.
Have been working in the OEM spare parts branche for the Toyota Landcruisers, and have driven
several 70 series (1HZ) engines, 80 series, 100 series, and at the moment we own a 120 series D4D 2007.

Wanting to change my injectors, due to the fact that there is a horrible sound coming from the injectors when the engine is cold.
The engine has done 220k km, and we were also planning a good clean up of the EGR system.
I know there is more then enough info on this subject, as well as many instruction videos.
I might have some small ideas how to make this job a little easier, have tried to find something similar on the web, but found nothing, so sorry if this is old news, otherwise I hope it will be of help for someone.

ACCESSIBILITY

Because we were facing a longer repair / cleaning under the hood, which would mean a ‘ bent over ’ position for many hours, the following idea came to mind.
Because the car is, as many are, lifted about 5 cm, this problem with accessibility is even bigger.
We put the car on a 2 column hoist, took of the front wheels, and then lowered the car back to the floor, put some big rubberlike blocks under the lower control arms, so that the disc brakes we just free of the floor. This made the engine bay much more accessible. Only 5 or 10 minutes of work, which makes things a lot easier.
Ofcourse this is also usable for other repairs that require some more time under the hood.

COMMON RAIL:

I have seen some pictures of covered up connections on the common rail, after having removed the injector lines. Ofcourse it is very important to keep these connections as clean as possible, but there is a far easier way to cover them, instead of using cloth, tape,tywraps or whatever else.
Believe it or not, but the wheelnuts have the same thread, or at least almost, and they fit nicely,
just give them some twists, only with your fingers, no need for tools.
And in our scenario it just happens that we took of the front wheels, and have the wheelnuts available.
You only have to check of these are clean on the inside, put them on the injector line connectors on the commomn rail, and voila : nicely covered!

See pictures attached.
20190321_165202.01.jpg

20190321_165012.01.jpg

20190321 common rail02.jpg

Neat. Would be worthwhile posting this as a separate thread on changing the 120 injectors rather than having it hidden in an intro. But hey, Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your methods.

Looking forward to seeing more

Best wishes
Rich

Back