Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Moscow

Eugene Shtemanetyan

Hello everyone, I just joined the forum, so let me introduce myself.

Eugene, 49, married, 2 kids. Am doing a lot of outdoor activities - quads (have 2 Yamaha Grizzlies), mountain hikes (just climbed Mera peak in Himalayas in November). Travel a lot in general to various countries and continents both for business and holidays, now thinking to travel by car more. Don't have Land Cruiser yet, but am seriously thinking to get one. Am thinking to go to Sahara desert with some friends, need a good car for that. 78 Troopy is in my spotlight at the moment, or maybe something else, have not fully decided yet.

Joined the forum to hear first hand experiences of the users, obtain company and friends to have interesting trips together.

The first practical question - does anyone have a troopy and a quad - does quad fit inside properly to be transported ?

Thanks in advance, hope to find many friends and be of help to the community here !
Eugene

Eugene, welcome along. I do have a Yammy quad but I don't have a Troopy so I can't answer that one.

Four of us have just completed a month long (actually that's six of us with Lorin and Toby) trip to Russia's Kola Peninsula and interest in visiting Russia is growing, so having a forum member over there might turn out to be a very valuable thing! Lots of us have done Morocco, @MarkW on here is very well travelled in that respect so I am sure there'd be plenty of help in visiting North Africa.

Hi Eugene and Welcome. You’ve come to the right place to help find your cruiser. @Mojo has just had his truck prepared in I think Lithuania which might be of help finding or preparing a cruiser.

Sounds like you have had some great trips without a cruiser, can’t wait to see your trip reports once you’ve got one.

Best wishes
Rich

Kola peninsula - interesting ! Do you normally do on road sightseeing / exploration trips or hardcore wildlife offroad trips ? If I do buy the Troopy, am thinking to go to Ural mountains including Dyatlov's pass (перевал Дятлова). Maybe you heard this mysterious story of death of the whole big group of tourists I think in the 50s-60s. Still not clear for what reason, so a lot of theories like aliens, military, KGB, local shamans, Yeti etc. And mountains are always interesting in any case

Thanks Rich, good to meet you. I didn't realise many people in the EU / UK were doing such things. I thought UK was only track racing heaven (and it is heaven in this sense for sure!, my best track racing was in the UK ). How does it work in your countries where exhaust ecology standards are so high and I guess half if not 90% of your older Cruisers don't comply ?

Emissions laws are not retrospective in the U.K. Eugene. Thankfully, not yet anyway, though who knows what is round the corner for older diesels.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes we all like to explore the world in our Cruisers. Apart from all the members we have in other countries, we're a pretty well travelled lot with UK members crossing to Vietnam, South Africa, America etc. Someone once went to Milton Keynes, but they were never seen again.

Kola peninsula - interesting ! Do you normally do on road sightseeing / exploration trips or hardcore wildlife offroad trips ? If I do buy the Troopy, am thinking to go to Ural mountains including Dyatlov's pass (перевал Дятлова). Maybe you heard this mysterious story of death of the whole big group of tourists I think in the 50s-60s. Still not clear for what reason, so a lot of theories like aliens, military, KGB, local shamans, Yeti etc. And mountains are always interesting in any case

I too tried to find a route from Nev'yansk to Perm through the mountains, but was defeated by snow and being detained by the FSB at the entrance to Novouralsk (Ural Electro Chemical Plant), I honestly didn't know it was a forbidden city. I am going to google Dyatlov's Pass...

Welcome Eugene, I do indeed know Morocco and the Western Sahara well so if you have any question on travel that way just ask :)

Thanks for the offer, Mark, will revert with some questions. @Mojo, I understand you are the one who just had your Troopy prepared - do you have some photos of what was done ?

Just saying hi and welcome to the forum Eugene :thumbup:

I’m spoilt living here in Romania for local sights and adventure, so it’s unlikely that I’ll be venturing too far from home.

Anyway, I’m interested how your plan works out with a troopy and the adventures you have when you do.

Dyatlov’s Pass sounds spooky, better track your route with a remote GPS, so that when you disappear, someone can find you :lol:

Back