Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Scotland - please read if you have time!

knctaylor said:
Julian said:
If its anywhere near as straight as he says it is, it looks like a bargain

Thanks for the tip Julian - are you THE world famous Julian who knows everything there is to know about LCs?
Keith

No not me, you need julianv on here

Jon Wildsmith said:
I don't know much about 70 series really but others who do will be along soon I'm sure ;) What is your budget?

Hi Jon, again. If I can get that for £2k then I will have even more money to upgrade it which would be fantastic. I also don't really want a poser's LC (if there is such a thing) and would quite like to start out with a modest one - in terms of age.

If others get to it before me well I am sure they deserve it! I joined this forum yesterday and if someone more deserving finds it and buys it I'll be glad for them. To answer your other post - my kids are 11, 10, 6 and 4 so I hope we will all fit.

Keith

Julian said:
knctaylor said:
Julian said:
If its anywhere near as straight as he says it is, it looks like a bargain

Thanks for the tip Julian - are you THE world famous Julian who knows everything there is to know about LCs?
Keith

No not me, you need julianv on here

I'm sure you know a lot too Julian - thanks for taking the time to write.
Keith

Jimbo4x4 said:
I've recently helped a chap on the other forum purchase an LJ78 (this 'cruisers designation), this is a quote from that topic:

Jimbo4x4 said:
Hi Pete, welcome to the fold. I own a 1992 LJ78 and am slowly kitting it out for overland adventures. In the meantime it is my daily drive and fun toy for a bit of green laning once or twice a month. I'll try and help you out as best I can with this motor you're interested in.

wobbly said:
There is a 78 on fleabay - item 200505511407 , which looks and sounds in good order
It looks and sounds great, the seller has 100% feedback so there's a good start.

wobbly said:
...but there are a couple of bits of info....I'm guessing its leaf rear and coil front, I need more comfort than, say, a series 3 landie, but accept that £2k isnt goint to buy me all round coils!
...errr, actually, you'll be surprised! Coils front and rear with a solid front axle ;) It's perhaps not as comfortable as a road car but it's damn close..

wobbly said:
That one is a jap import, so I need to look at undersealing & underside rot, any other issues other than oil leaks, transmission clunks et.
6 years of UK roads shouldn't have had any major effect unless it's been mistreated (eg; driven in seawater and not washed for days afterwards). The resistance to oxidation of the metal on this is excellent. I'm just starting to see some small patches of surface rust on mine, it's been in the UK since Dec' 98 and never been undersealed. If there is any rust I hear it comes up through the boot floor first, so check under the carpet in there.

Other than the usual checks, know that these things are susceptable to head gasket problems, so check for "mayo" on the oil filler cap, low water level, white/grey exhaust smoke etc etc. Annual rad flushes with Toyota "red" coolant should keep the demons at bay.

The lowly 2.4 can feel a little underpowered for some, so make sure it will do everything you ask of it. Mine can get a little warm towing loads up long hills but it has been plenty powerful enough for most of my requests. There is also a 3.0TD version, known as the KZJ78 which was available from late 1993 to 1998 iirc, although (iirc again) this runs the same cooling system as the 2.4 and as a result can overheat easily leading to a cracked head if you're not careful.

If it has electric front hubs, check they work when the button is depressed and the ignition on. Leaving the t-case lever in 2H try to turn the front propshaft, it should have a small amount of play but if you can turn it right round then the hubs have not engaged. They are a constant source of pain with the light duty 70 series and tbh best replaced with manual hubs. I have permanantly engaged mine as a free alternative.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else to look for, just the usual stuff that you would with any car.

wobbly said:
Again, I'm guessing it has a low box and central difflock (similar to a S3 landie setup)
It runs part time 4wd, with 2wd high range and 4wd low range selectable on the transfer lever, and 4wd high range selectable on the dash. The "centre diff" if you will, is constantly locked when in 4wd. Obviously the front hubs need to be engaged to get 4wd.

I hoped I've helped, good luck with your search :D

Jim.

Jim, what a helpful post - thanks. I didn't get everything you advised but I did understand a few things. Hopefully I will get to understand a bit more as time goes by. Basically I have a budget of max £6k to buy a LC. However, if I blow all of it on a LC I will have to wait ages before I can upgrade it. So if I only spend £2k then I can get working on upgrading it straight away. That is the attraction of the price. I also like the "retro" look of the 70 series. Do you think my wife - not knowing her of course - would manage to drive it okay?! I suppose what I am asking is how much less of a LC do you get with the 70 series than I could get with this (which happens to be the nearest one to me by distance):
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p
Keith

Kieth, the silver one you've linked to is a KDJ95 Colorado and they are a very desirable truck in their own right. Mainly due to the D4D motor that can return over 35mpg and with 170bhp on tap. My suggestion is if you want this thing mainly as a road car and have the off road abilities there as "something useful every now and then", then that would suit you better.

The 70 will feel like an older car (it is one!) and it will seem like a heavy slug compared to the Colorado, but that's not to say it's uncomfortable. It is still a very refined motor. The 70 will use more fuel, expect high 20's mpg on a run. It will also be slightly more capable when it comes to the rough stuff, though, as the Colorado is limited somewhat with its front suspension setup. The 70, having a solid front axle is more robust in this department too.

As for your wife... the 70 is easier to park as you can see the corners more easily, The colorado may be a little lighter to drive around town.

I hope that helps, Jim.

Just a thought, if your overlanding takes you into the deepest darkest depths of the third world then finding decent quality fuel will be an issue. The 70 will handle poor quality fuels with a little effort whereas the D4D is known to have more trouble with dirty diesel :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jimbo4x4 said:
Kieth, the silver one you've linked to is a KDJ95 Colorado and they are a very desirable truck in their own right. Mainly due to the D4D motor that can return over 35mpg and with 170bhp on tap. My suggestion is if you want this thing mainly as a road car and have the off road abilities there as "something useful every now and then", then that would suit you better.

The 70 will feel like an older car (it is one!) and it will seem like a heavy slug compared to the Colorado, but that's not to say it's uncomfortable. It is still a very refined motor. The 70 will use more fuel, expect high 20's mpg on a run. It will also be slightly more capable when it comes to the rough stuff, though, as the Colorado is limited somewhat with its front suspension setup. The 70, having a solid front axle is more robust in this department too.

As for your wife... the 70 is easier to park as you can see the corners more easily, The colorado may be a little lighter to drive around town.

I hope that helps, Jim.

Jim, that is extremely helpful. Thanks. Now I am torn between getting the KDJ95 Colorado, which I know is fuel efficient, compared with the 70 which is £5k cheaper! Difficult decision. The reason it is difficult is that although the Colorado is a lovely car it is not one that I will be able to upgrade due to blowing my budget until at least 2011 whereas if I go for the 70 I can buy the roof tent etc straight away.

What you have said though is really helpful.

I know you like the 70 - do you think that the Colorado is reasonably priced - it has mostly Toyota servicing history but the rest of the time has been serviced by Bosch. The owners even have a warranty on it as they are ultra cautious - they chose to buy this as an extra.

I go and see the Colorado on Friday - is there anything is particular I should look out for or ask? I do know that it has towed horses and caravans a lot. Is that a problem? I mean I imagine it is not as that is what it is supposed to do but I hope you don't mind me asking.

Keith

knctaylor said:
not one that I will be able to upgrade due to blowing my budget until at least 2011 whereas if I go for the 70 I can buy the roof tent etc straight away.
Keith, which roof tent to go for will be a whole new can of worms :lol: Worry about getting the right truck for your needs now (which could be a 2k 70) and solve the financing of upgrades later. I've never owned a 70 series but I've always thought them an interesting truck. IMO you should have a look at any models you can find nearby with no intention of buying any of them and stick to it because you really don't know what you want or what each model offers yet and there are some quite significant differences.

knctaylor said:
I know you like the 70 - do you think that the Colorado is reasonably priced - it has mostly Toyota servicing history but the rest of the time has been serviced by Bosch. The owners even have a warranty on it as they are ultra cautious - they chose to buy this as an extra.

I go and see the Colorado on Friday - is there anything is particular I should look out for or ask? I do know that it has towed horses and caravans a lot. Is that a problem? I mean I imagine it is not as that is what it is supposed to do but I hope you don't mind me asking.

Keith

The Colorado seems very reasonably priced, you could be asked for upwards of £9k for one with FSH and that sort of miles if it was in immaculate condition otherwise (of course, I'm sure you wouldn't pay upwards of £9k :p )

It sounds very honest, there'll be someone here who knows more than I do about the D4D Colorados who can help better than I can. Only bit of advice I can give really is not to be surprised by a rattly engine on cold start, the early D4D's do this but soon smooth out once on the road.

Good luck, Jim.

Jon Wildsmith said:
knctaylor said:
not one that I will be able to upgrade due to blowing my budget until at least 2011 whereas if I go for the 70 I can buy the roof tent etc straight away.
Keith, which roof tent to go for will be a whole new can of worms :lol: Worry about getting the right truck for your needs now (which could be a 2k 70) and solve the financing of upgrades later. I've never owned a 70 series but I've always thought them an interesting truck. IMO you should have a look at any models you can find nearby with no intention of buying any of them and stick to it because you really don't know what you want or what each model offers yet and there are some quite significant differences.

Hi Jon, I think your advice is very good in terms of looking at what is nearby with no intention of buying. I understand the wisdom of that. However, I am very tempted by the Colorado (the 70 Series has now gone off Autotrader) and it is very close to me comparatively. I am looking at it on Friday.

Will keep you posted,
Keith

Jimbo4x4 said:
knctaylor said:

Keith

The Colorado seems very reasonably priced, you could be asked for upwards of £9k for one with FSH and that sort of miles if it was in immaculate condition otherwise (of course, I'm sure you wouldn't pay upwards of £9k :p )

It sounds very honest, there'll be someone here who knows more than I do about the D4D Colorados who can help better than I can. Only bit of advice I can give really is not to be surprised by a rattly engine on cold start, the early D4D's do this but soon smooth out once on the road.

Good luck, Jim.

Thanks Jim

Very helpful.

Keith

Back