Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from South Africa

ChrisE99

Country Flag
south_africa
Hi,

My name is Chris.

I am currently not a LC owner but that will be changing soon. I am currently figuring out what specific model and engine type will suit my needs. At this stage I have to say that a 79 with 1FZ-FE is going to be my best bet.

Welcome love the 79 but don't get in the UK.

Worth looking at what you want it for. I wasn't that impressed when I drove one. You guys do get the 105 which when fitted with lockers and a proper diesel engine would be my preference

Hey Stumog. Thank you for the welcoming.

To be honest I am a bit confused over the difference between the 70 and 79 models. Some listings mention both 70 and 79. I would expect the 70 series would encompass the 7X variants such as the 76, 79, etc but that appears to not be the case.

One particular vehicle I am looking at is a 2008 70 series single cab fitted with cattle rails and winch ready bullbar. I need the 'bak' space (South African for load bed) for trips to the tip, moving fodder, etc. I believe this vehicle is factory fitted with remote lockers. I am having a mate test drive the vehicle for me as it is well over 1000km away currently. Dekra report is clean, I just want him to have a good look and test drive to ensure transfer case, diff lockers etc are okay.

This vehicle is a bit overkill for my needs as I very seldom require 4x4, however the times I have got stuck with my 4x2 bakkie I really wish I had a 4x4. There is nothing worse than being stranded alone, having to dig out the tires by hand and use tree branches for traction. :sweatsmile:

While the 1FZ-FE is not that modern nor fuel efficient, its reputation for reliability has me sold. I'm also far more comfortable working on petrol motors over turbo diesels. Many modern motors put me off especially as designs are pushed to the limits for higher economy and power. Fortunately I work from home and don't commute far apart from weekly visits to the stables and range. I guess I will have a good excuse to try some beginner over-landing.

Welcome Chris - the world is your oyster in a landcruiser, esp in your neck of the woods you've got Namibia, Bots, Moz and loads of local off road oppotunities.

Plenty of people don't understand the codes to be honest so you can't go off them unless a photo....

2008 I think was the change over year for this model. So you gain a slightly better ride.

When testing the lockers make sure they go solid not flashing.

Back