Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello, from the Southwest

CountryBoy136

Country Flag
south_africa
Just to introduce myself to the club.. long time LC lover, vehicle of choice on the farm back in Africa a lifetime ago, worked our way through 40 series & 70 series pickups (bakkies) and 100 series for everyday & long distance holiday wagons... now in UK but still have a 100 series as my daily driver and family camping/holiday car... it you even think you might need it, just chuck it in and bring it along anyway!!

My Cruiser : 2001 LC100VX, 4.2 litre diesel with 157k on the clock
Current Mods : Tecinox stainless Xhaust, Motor is chipped and reconfigured to improve power & torque curve, Iron Man coils & shocks to replace air suspension, BF Goodrich A/T tyres, AFN winch bumper, 2 x 10 inch RIGID Adapt light bars (one below each headlight), rear tow bar, custom locking surfski cradles & roofrack to fit & lock onto the standard roof-rails.
Planned Mods: Want to keep it as an all round family holiday/soft adventure vehicle and my daily driver, but needs more tidy and secure storage so will be building & fitting a rear draw system with wings plus modifying the tail gate for 'bit's & bobs' storage space, upgrad hooter/horn system for more 'bite' to get immediate attention when necessary, and a 270 degree rail mounted canopy for camping or daytrip shelter..

Last edited:
Daily driver with a difference, before initial mods...

100VX pre-mods & surfskis.jpg 100VX pre-mods with 2 skis.jpg

Welcome. Am I sensing a pattern here? New members from south-westerly areas using 100/200-series LCs for recreational pursuits?

Hi CB,

Welcome aboard this most friendly forum.

Modest intro, not a bit of it. Great to see a truck being used as an all rounder. ‘Interesting’ tail overhang you’ve got on those boat thingies. It sounds like you’ve had a few Cruisers in your time which has to be commended. Any pics of those would be good to see.

Best wishes
Rich

Well, thank you both for the warm welcome... will have to see if I can dig out a few faded pics of the old days :smirk:

...and don't know about the pattern, but Cruisers and 'pick-ups' have always been used as all-rounders where I come from, guess was just a function of the terrain and the outdoor lifestyle we typically enjoyed way down south.. :)

Hi CB,

Welcome aboard this most friendly forum.

Modest intro, not a bit of it. Great to see a truck being used as an all rounder. ‘Interesting’ tail overhang you’ve got on those boat thingies. It sounds like you’ve had a few Cruisers in your time which has to be commended. Any pics of those would be good to see.

Best wishes
Rich

And btw, Rich, here's a link to a video clip taken by a woman who was in THAT tent at the time...
...loving the whisky bottle in shot lol

Apparently they were camped out overnight somewhere in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, which takes up an area roughly 30% the size of England and straddles the point where three international borders of South Africa, Namibia and Botswana... Interestingly most of my UK friends immediate reaction is 'Holy shit that is terrifying, no way I'd camp out there!' :fearscream: whilst my local mates just thought ' Holy shit what an amazing experience... lucky buggers!' :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just to introduce myself to the club.. long time LC lover, vehicle of choice on the farm back in Africa a lifetime ago, worked our way through 40 series & 70 series pickups (bakkies) and 100 series for everyday & long distance holiday wagons... now in UK but still have a 100 series as my daily driver and family camping/holiday car... it you even think you might need it, just chuck it in and bring it along anyway!!

My Cruiser : 2001 LC100VX, 4.2 litre diesel with 157k on the clock
Current Mods : Tecinox stainless Xhaust, Motor is chipped and reconfigured to improve power & torque curve, Iron Man coils & shocks to replace air suspension, BF Goodrich tyres, AFN winch bumber, 2 x 10 inch RIGID Adapt light bars (one below each headlight), rear tow bar, custom locking surfski cradles & roofrack to fit & lock onto the standard roof-rails.
Planned Mods: Want to keep it as an all round family holiday/soft adventure vehicle and my daily driver, but needs more tidy and secure storage so will be building & fitting a rear draw system with wings plus modifying the tail gate for 'bit's & bobs' storage space, upgrad hooter/horn system for more 'bite' to get immediate attention when necessary, and a 270 degree rail mounted canopy for camping or daytrip shelter..

Welcome aboard CB, lovely looking hundee there and I like the look of those kyaks (pardon my ignorance if that’s not what they are)... :thumbup:

Welcome aboard CB, lovely looking hundee there and I like the look of those kyaks (pardon my ignorance if that’s not what they are)... :thumbup:

Hi Clive, and likewise thank you for the warm welcome... still dipping my toes, but been amusing so far... :):sweatsmile:

And thanks for the comment on the 'kayaks'.... actually two surfskis, for a long time a Saffer and Aussie speciality although fans now worldwide with growing following in the UK too, particularly down where we are here in the SouthWest... main difference between Skis and Kayaks is that Skis originated from the old surf lifesaving paddleskis and have evolved to serious open ocean craft... but you sit ON a ski not IN like a Kayak... 6.5 metres long and 11kg all up, pure carbon speed... check out the link

Hate to bore y'all... I really won't say any more about these things on here lol but re long and fast... easy flatwater cruising speed can average around 10-13 km/h, out at sea linking swells average goes up and current Miller Run record is 36:36 minutes over 11.7km, so averaging 19.1 km/h.

But for ridiculously crazy speed, here's an interesting clip after a cyclone blew through Durban a few years back, two local guys, Barry And Mark Lewin, went out on a double surfski to ride the after storm swells, on one run recording a high of 68.8km/h on Barry's Garmin gps... check this out hahaha :fearscream:

Welcome CB , nice truck but personally i'd think them pussycats were after my whiskey which wouldn't end well :lol:

and surfski definitely looks like something i would enjoy doing immensely :icon-cool:

Welcome CB , nice truck but personally i'd think them pussycats were after my whiskey which wouldn't end well :lol:

and surfski definitely looks like something i would enjoy doing immensely :icon-cool:

Thanks, and I can relate... to the whisky!!! lol ...and yep, sure is fun, better still with Cruiser as the perfect base vehicle... A lot of really very nice trucks here.. one thing I had to get my head around with this one was dealing with rust, which obviously is not so much of an issue much further South.. :smile:

Rust is the curse of us all that know and respect older cruisers are better than anything they will likely build again so your in the right place - we are all fighting the same battle .

Just realised, I never did post a pic of the wee Beastie after the initial mods and light resto... have to say, albeit not inexpensive the lights were a brilliant choice, nicely discreet but totally turn night into day... and is another mantra carried on from my Dad, always insisted 'You really need good lights out on the country roads...'

Beastie22.jpg
Beastie23.jpg

welcome Cb.
beautiful truck mate.
Cheers for that Karl... like to keep it understated and pretty low key but the essential bits are there... but most important thing, brings a big smile and happy memories every single time I climb aboard... dare say is the just same for all of us on here lol

Just an interesting point for anyone interested... the central hoop I selected is NOT the 100 series AFN spec but actually their Navara fitting.. lower and so more discreet profile not to mention less un-aerodynamic lol...
Appreciate the A-bar type look doesn't find favour with everyone, but subtly done with the lower profile think is actually pretty well resolved like I have it setup...

Cheers for that Karl... like to keep it understated and pretty low key but the essential bits are there... but most important thing, brings a big smile and happy memories every single time I climb aboard... dare say is the just same for all of us on here lol

Yep im pretty sure we all have a thing for them lol.
They are a great motor and bring lots of smiles. we enjoyed our scotland trip and lots of other camping trips/work road trips with them.

Just realised, I never did post a pic of the wee Beastie after the initial mods and light resto... have to say, albeit not inexpensive the lights were a brilliant choice, nicely discreet but totally turn night into day... and is another mantra carried on from my Dad, always insisted 'You really need good lights out on the country roads...'

View attachment 152093 View attachment 152094
Truck looks great CB, i will look out for it

Back