Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from the US and looking for some advice on purchasing a used LC 100

flybynight

Country Flag
united_states
Hey guys and gals. Obviously new around here, but the level of knowledge in this forum has impressed me and I signed up to ask for a bit of advice. I've never owned a Land Cruiser, but I'm looking into maybe joining the club. My dad's friend had one back in 1985 and I always loved it. I'm currently looking at an LC 100 (2003) with about 230,000 miles on it. They are asking around $12,000. I was wondering based on your experience with these vehicles if that's just way too much mileage wise to consider it, if it's too much money or maybe good deal. The truck itself looks like it's been fairly well maintained and was a one owner vehicle (currently resides with a dealer so I can't ask the previous owner questions), but I haven't seen it in person yet since it's not being listed locally. It's not a horrible drive though and I'd be willing to take a peek if those who are more knowledgeable than I think it's a good idea. Once in person I could take some pics and post, give my impressions on the test drive and be willing to look at whatever is suggested by those here on the forum prior to purchase. I appreciate any help I can get since I'm a newb. Thanks again!

Dave

Welcome to the forum Dave, nice intro :thumbup:

I'm no mine of info on 100's but I wouldn't let the mileage put you off a purchase, assuming it's been maintained. Which engine is in the one you're exited about? Petrol auto I would imagine in the US, is it the V8?

Underside rust (depending on the location of the PO) and the AVH suspension is the biggest headache.

Someone knowledgeable will be along shortly, I'm sure, with some more reliable advice.

Enjoy :icon-biggrin:

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to the forum Dave, nice intro :thumbup:

I'm no mine of info on 100's but I wouldn't let the mileage put you off a purchase, assuming it's been maintained. Which engine is in the one you're exited about? Petrol auto I would imagine in the US, is it the V8?

Underside rust (depending on the location of the PO) and the AVH suspension is the biggest headache.

Someone knowledgeable will be along shortly, I'm sure, with some more reliable advice.

Enjoy :icon-biggrin:

Thanks! I actually tracked down the original owner after calling a tire shop that was listed on the Carfax report and left a message with his secretary. It was previously owned by a private historic hotel company in Georgia and as I stated before was only a one owner vehicle. I'm not anticipating rust since there isn't any salt on the roads in the Southeast of the US. He's out of the office today, but I'm hoping he calls me back. I'd like to know the details behind the truck and I'm sure since he's not private selling it he would be upfront about the issues, if any. LC owners seem to love their rides, so I'm assuming I may actually get a call back. That and since he's the CEO of a bunch of historic hotels in Savannah, who knows, maybe I'll get a few free nights in a hotel out of the deal. :icon-rolleyes: Regardless, I am interested in the vehicle and what he has to say. It wouldn't be my primary driver, just replace a pickup I currently have and would use it to drive on the weekends in the mountains for various excursions and wilderness activities.

Hi Dave
First up Welcome.

As Clive mentioned is the Landcruiser diesel or petrol.
Don't know what he models were in the USA IN 2003 but the petrol motor was a v8 and they were a great motor if well looked after.
The diesel motor was the 24 valve factory turbo with electronic injection and very good on economy and power.
They are a highly sought after motor for landcruiser Conversions in Australia.
In Australia in 2003 approx SEPT/OCT there was an update and the Landcruiser went from a 4 speed Auto to a 5 speed auto behind both the Factory turbo motor and the petrol v8. The factory turbo motor is a very tough reliable motor and will do well past 500,000 klms witout any major problems as long as it has been serviced properly.
Hope this helps a little.

Back