Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Wales UK

Honey Badger

Country Flag
wales
Hi, my names Steve, just saying hello.
I have done the Land Rover thing, Discovery 1 & 2
and Defender 110
Am in the process of trying to sell my VW T5.
Once sold I am giving myself a budget of £5000
I live rural wales,and need 4x4 for winter mainly,
Don't need to tow anything, wont be doing mad off road.
Although going by my Land Rovers, I cannot resist bolting thing on,and end up with a fully fledged overland vehicle. :icon-biggrin:
I need size as I go fishing,and weekend camp and fish.
So far I have narrowed my search to
Colorado 95? (5 door) 3.0 td VX
I do very little mileage, during the week and a whopping 45 mile round trip on a Sunday.
I am wondering could you advise me,please on whether to get..
Auto or Manual gear box.
What sort of cruising speed on motorway could I expect, wafty,or engine reving it t*ts off.
Would I be better getting a minty pre 2000 or an early face lift, engine change model
3.0 TD or an early face lift 3.0 d-4d type engine.
Truth be said, I hate modern engine technology, reason why I am selling my T5, sensors, engine management, filters, special one type oils, the list is endless.
So I probably be heading older 3.0td.
Sorry for the ramble, hope to sell and purchase soon, and then be active member, thank you.. Steve

Hi Steve and welcome to the site. So where are you in Wales?

Cheers

Richie

There is a rugby player in Aussie whose nickname is honey badger and he is a cult hero plays for the wallabies ,as a Welshman are you a rugby fanatic as well? Regards

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum .

With regards to the truck i let a landrover enthusiast test drive my swb 90 series Colorado for 5 minutes and he seemed very impressed . I'm allergic to technology as well so the 1kz-te engine suits me well but many have moved onwards to the newer D4D which has more power and is more efficient and i've yet to read a thread regarding electrickery problems relating to the D4D . As i said mines a 90 (2 door) and it's had engine mods as well as wheels etc but even when it was standard overtaking on the motorway presented no problems - its not a landrover :lol:

Auto or manual i would have thought is a personal preference , auto in anything bores me to tears but some like it ? . If you do go for an auto i think its common to replace the rad at around 100k miles on the 1kz-te so there's something to look out for , i'm sure others with more experience of this will explain in greater detail . The rear diff actuator is often seized through lack of use and can be very expensive to repair . The seat belts will be crap at retracting coz they all are .

You have chosen the right truck to step away from landrover but the trouble is you have no realistic comparisons to make because the oldest most poorly maintained highest mileage unloved and abused Colorado is still gonna tick boxes the rover never did . My advice would be to ignore the VX GX or whatever badge and just test drive as many trucks as you can until you get a feel for it . The quality of finish is such that they all scrub up very well indeed regardless of age so don't let that blind you and get underneath it to see how clean it really is .

Last edited:
Hello Pat, not really a fan of watching rugby, used to play it, a long time ago, I'm more into motor racing.

Thank you Shayne for the run down, I have to get this van gone, and then will start to look at a few vehicles to drive.
The auto does not totally fill me with love,but thy seem to be way more thicker on the ground.
I had a Discovery 2 TD5 auto and I was always thinking come on change gear you bugger, which is what seemed to irritate me the most.
Can anyone also tell me if the second row of seats fold forward behind the driver / passenger seat,giving full length of the rear to get my fishing rods in.
Thanks Steve.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Steve, they do on my 1997 LWB Colorado. I measured the boot space compared to the father in laws Disco 1 and there was about 5 inches more room length wise. You'll have no problems with all your fishing gear. I take all my camping gear plus canoe and gear and it all fits in to the amazement of some others who we go with who all have trailers!! ;-)

Must admit i was a bit worried this morning when new pontoons arrive for my boat and they were 6ft x 2.8ft :icon-surprised: in a shortie :eusa-snooty: ...... but TADAH ! :icon-biggrin:

pontoons001_zpsd02114dd.jpg

Ok this is a test, if it works, i can do my LC rather than my toy. mx5.jpg

I guess each to his own bit I wouldn't trade my 93 model KZJ78 for any fluffy thing like that.On the open road in NZ when there is a bait car out front 140kph is quite comfortable.I cart abit of machinery from time to time on a tandem trailer which is no light weight and it cruises well.It is an 8 seater but I have the back seats out and it gives heaps of room for storage.We can also fold the rear seats forward to make a flat floor.I had a bit of drama with my engine but it is going sweetly now and I look forward to another 200,000ks.regards Pat

Back