Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello, just joined!

MikeJak

Country Flag
italy
Hello all,
Marco here,
I have a 2001 Colorado 3.4 VX bought it with the plan of making it an off-road tourer and it’s happening. I’ve owned the truck for about 8 month now, started by zeroing it changing and checking all fluids and poking around to see if there was any issue but all good..considering it’s 21 years on the road.
Did the lower ball joints right away just to be safe. The shocks were pretty tired so in went an OME 2” lift, the tyres were pretty bald and the wheels would have needed a refurb… so went for steel wheels and some civilised mud terrain. Added a full length roofrack for the tent and we have done a fair few trips. After the first trip I quickly decided to add the snorkel. She runs sweet and takes us to some great places.
Planning to add some rock sliders as soon as I can find someone to make them…

I’m based in Hertfordshire and often out on the local lanes.
Cheers!

Welcome Marco, as a 3.4V6 owner I can't fault you. They are very under rated and love mine. I thought about using mine for green laning but its too good a truck so I use an old 80 instead.
lets get some pics up of the truck and outings.

Hi Andycruiserguy
Thanks for the welcome. Agree that the 3.4 v6 are really overlooked, they are a great design and a very solid powerhouse. Even not too thirsty all things considered. Fairly good to coping with wet and cold conditions… can’t really fault it. Met a guy with a 4Runner in the us with 750000miles on the original 3.4…only done the gaskets at 600000 for preventing maintenance

Here are a few pics of my truck:
She arrived to me in full stock splendor of 21 y vintage:
915BA48F-93EF-463A-98FA-37B604D470BA.jpeg

Soon changed tyres and wheels for steels and MT rubber and you can see how low the suspension were sitting (original shocks and springs)
DFD4B838-2F89-44BF-869C-D75E9BDAE75D.jpeg

She did well on a f couple of first trips:

07D2140A-5A71-4DC7-96B2-AD00FF1574F2.jpeg

DEF34AC0-7A9A-46E1-A4C4-AC86A02766F9.jpeg

Soon after the picture above added the lift and snorkel (and asfir full length alu bash plates)

6ED6EFDB-678A-42B8-AB64-A41E31323698.jpeg

Then summer was here, put a roofrack on and went away on as many weekends and trips as possible:
7365ADB2-4303-4152-ABE1-954F4B7F37F5.jpeg

E7F7F171-774B-4790-A327-90E89B0DE5CF.jpeg
EAFE5936-F755-4FD0-9F44-C81A9D9528A5.jpeg
4A1CD2DB-0CAB-4816-91FB-D7708D66775A.jpeg

We’ve visited some great places that we would have likely not have reached or found without our LC, great fun and memories. Few trips further afield in the bucket list… we’ll see in the next years!

Last edited:
Welcome Mike , nice set up and all you need , looks great :thumbup:

Thank you Shayne! trying to build it sensibly with what’s neededed and not too much superfluous stuff. Loving the relative simplicity of the Lc!

I can see one step already took a bump which means it gets used as it should . I'm inclined to think Fabrika might do sliders for the 90 but other than that you will be ordering from Australia unless you get some made .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hah yes the sidesteps are really no more then that… that was a little slip on a rock that rolled over and a very mild bump on a stump.. they are so flimsy!
I’ll check out fabrika, may look at getting them made… if I had the space I’d happily learn to weld and fabricate them myself but think it might be a bit beyond possible for now

Hi Marco, rig looks great. It's just the kind of thing we need to see at our club camping meetings.

Welcome and that is a nice looking car.

Regards

Dave

Thank you Dave and Andy!
I’d definitely be up for some camping weekends and meeting other Land cruisers!

Trips look great. How far north is that?

What’s it like sleeping in a roof tent? Always fancied it but the that grass in the last photo looks lovely and I’d just pitch a tent on it

Hi MGC pics are from a couple of trips from the summer, Scottish boarders on the way to see some family near Glasgow, Wales and Lake District.
I’ve always had ground tents, the rooftop tent is very comfy as it has a foam mat but not hugely different from a ground tent. If it’s windy you’re also a bit more exposed of course, handy in summer, not so in colder climate. Copes well with humidity build up as you don’t have the ground evaporation in between the inner and outer of a ground tent.
Personally I really like a roof top tent. Prefer the hard shells to the one with the vinyl cover. Mine is from 4x4direct and it really pops up in two minutes

Reactions: MGC
I have a very similar roof tent and the last time i slept in it as snug as a bug in a rug wearing only boxer shorts using a 4 season sleeping bag I had to pour boiling water over the ladder in the morning because it was frozen solid and i couldn't put the tent down .

Only down side of a roof tent is you really shouldn't drink 8 pints before you go to bed :lol:

So true on all fronts…regarding the pints…once you negotiate the ladder on the way up I found a pee bottle to be a great luxury to avoid leaving the cocoon

Regarding rock sliders the bloke who has bought a fabrication company with his mates might be worth a look if anyone can put up his name and contact details and some forum members may be of help with recommendations around your area

Thanks Steve, that sounds like a promising lead, will search a bit the forum to try and find it.

Today I finally got around fitting the winch, I had an N4 winch plate in the shed for a while and was a really good install, solid and easy. Waiting for some electric cable to arrive to add a solenoid as isolator from the cabin too.

411DF427-1E81-40D4-8CB9-85D3B2EE1C29.jpeg

9FA1A136-AC8C-41D4-BB10-57161774FA22.jpeg

Quite a clean and discreet install without going full steel bar

I was looking at sending a private messsage to Ryan Thompson but can’t see the options, is it because I don’t have enough posts yet? Thank you
Marco

Back