Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello truckers

MTX66

Country Flag
uk
Hi there ladies and gentlemen, my name is Alex and I own a 90 series 5 dr land cruiser KZJ95 if I'm not mistaking, 1kz-te auto box, 1998 S reg, bought it last year and more recently had some issues with some rust, got it welded, it was bassically a chassis mount for the nearside trailing arm(its the arm that goes from the chassis to the axle I hope I'm not mistaking by calling it trailing arm cause to me thats what it is) wich snapped off the chassis, now like I said having that sorted im gonna get the same welder to do some reinforcing on the offside mount to prevent that from snapping off in the future, I really like the cruiser and would try my best to keep it in good nick as scrapping would never be an option for me not when the car is mint and even the chassis is mint apart from the area where it snapped and got welded and now that made me wanna join this group to see what other people have experienced in terms of rust with these cruisers. Hope I've not bored you too much with this story, oh and I am based in South Yorkshire.

Last edited:
Welcome here Alex and your introduction says your willing to repair the ravages of time so your cruiser should last a very long time :handgestures-thumb:

Thanks mate, I hope so, if the picture from your profile is your cruiser I will dig for your posts to find out what you did to it to be able to get that lift, I would go slightly higher than standard but dont really wanna compromise the handling and don't want to have to regear it yet and go into the big never ending mods territory.

There is only so much you can do with a 90 series and most of the cost for me was in working out how far i could go without spoiling its long distance reliability .

Thats exaclty my thinking, probably what I need is just getting some all terrains, maybe just slightly bigger than the factory size and an ome suspension, I love the jacked up look but that comes with some disadvantages.

It doesn't , but first things first sort out the neglected maintenance .

A coolant flush should be a priority .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Funny enough Andy cause as I was scrolling through some posts earlier I've seen your profile picture and though yours looks exaclty like my cruiser minus the wheels wich seem nicer than what I got.

Yes Shayne but mine's been looked after, is on 251k miles and all works sound, the radiator has been changed a few years ago when apparently the old one has burst, I did changed the oil in the auto box(the old fluid was actually decent aka slightly pink still, same the diff oils didnt looked too old either), engine and both diffs in august when I brought her home, I do indeed plan to do a cooling system overhaul, I got the coolant already and the complete with casing water pump, got some new glow plugs too, I wanna do some big maintenance on it soon.

yours looks exaclty like my cruiser minus the wheels wich seem nicer than what I got.

Yep I swap and change things about sometimes. I don't think Collies ever had great looking wheels, the decision to put the 3 spoke efforts on must have been taken after a works Saki drinking competition.
Putting the 17" wheels has given it a much more modern look.

Where in S Yorks are you based? I'm S25.

I agree with you on the wheels, I'm DN£

Last edited:
Few months later and she's 'finished', it all started like I said in my first post with that welding I had done on the chassis where the nearside long trailing arm bolts on, then that mobile welder wasn't bothered replying when I asked him when he wants to come to get some reinforcement done on drivers side just for my piece of mind and thats how I found Rob from R&S Welding in Harworth Doncaster, him and the lads have done 2 little reinforcement plates under the chassis on drivers side in the area where the long trailing arm was bolting on, as its showed that its been previously welded and wasn't a great job so now its been done properly, they have then discovered I had one short trailing arm snapped so I ordered all 4 brand new, they fitted those for me, then I asked them to check the rear section of the chassis as I noticed its common for these to be rotten and guess what, it was, so they done me the rear end chassis repair using new beams bout 5-6mm thick, when they did that they noticed my tank looked like its had a 4cm long weld at the bottom and some rust signs so I decided to order a new genuine one from milner, it was common sense as the old tank had to come off anyway so I thought I'm saving on labour by not doing that job at a later date, then I decided to replace myself the fuel pump with a new genuine one from roughtrax4x4 and the fuel filter as the car was taking longer to start after beeing left parked for a few days and I figured out its probably losing fuel pressure and I was correct cause replacing the pump sorted my issue, it only made sense doing that after I got the new tank to make sure now that the whole fuel system is clean of any old dirt from the old tank, after this I took it to a garage for an mot check cause she was due on 19th this month and I wanted to know with some time in advance if there's anything wrong with it, it only needed hand brake adjusted and drivers side track rod end so I ordered both track rod ends, both inner tie rods, both top and bottom balljoints, brake discs, pads, brake shoes with a new fitting kit for them, new hand brake cables and pedders 1.5inch suspension kit, then my search started for what size of tyres I should go for. After digging the internet and actually finding a similar 95 cruiser in a shops car park tha had same rims as mine and was running that pedders suspension kit(assuming because I've looked underneath and spotted the red shockers as the woman who was driving it didnt knew much about the technical side of things as she said her husband done it all and he knows whats what) anyway, that car had the bfgs all terrains ko2 tyres in 285 75 16 so I thought to myself well at least I know that those tyres fit well on my rims but at the time I was still unsure if I would need more than just a suspension lift, after doing more forums digging, bit of youtube searches, I got to the conclusion that 33s should fit well with just that 1.5inch suspension lift so I ordered the BFGs ko2 from Blackcircles, ordered the body lift from Milner aswell which is not fitted at the moment and to be fair I am not even too bothered about it now that I've seen how she sits, but yes all in all I'm well happy, oh and about what Shayne's recommended me above, it not just had a coolant flush, I got a full gates timing belt kit put on, brand new Aisin water pump with casing cause I had that bought since last year, also a new genuine toyota thermostat, new gates drivebelts and ac belt, its not a lot left thats not been changed, now we noticed the radiator is a bit wet at the seam at the top towards the engine side, I'm getting a new radiator fitted shortly and thats about it for a good while I reckon, got some glow plugs and new plugs isolators that will go on at some point and I will want to get a new turbo fitted too at some point and then recon mine and keep as spare, only for piece of mind really as she's on 252k miles aproaching 253k. All in all I hope I've not bored you too much and thanks if you got to reading till the end and hopefully this post will help somebody that was like me not knowing for sure if those tyres would fit just with 1.5inch lift, oh and forgot to mention I removed those front lower mud flaps cause tyres were catching on them when turning, and there is a very tiny bit of chassis rub but thats only on full lock and we can live with it.
It doesn't , but first things first sort out the neglected maintenance .

A coolant flush should be a priority .

Attachments

• 20220521_165315.jpg
    20220521_165315.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220520_194239.jpg
    20220520_194239.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220429_183449.jpg
    20220429_183449.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220423_171320.jpg
    20220423_171320.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
My Amazon J100 originated from the Donny area, prior to one purchasing it from 'The Cruzzer King' in Mirfield. (I don't have an issue with him, happy with my machine as I knew what I was buying, a rusty Toyota in need of a second life). I will stick some pictures on here with another thread. We have done a lot of Land Cruiser chassis welding this last 12 month. We recently did a 90 because the fuel tank was leaking. A new tank from Milner Off-road but we ended up fabricating and fitting a new rear crossmember and the rear chassis above the axle. The next thing it started to crab because it tore the NSR tie bar mount from the axle, corrosion. Made a new mounting and it seemed happy until the clutch finally packed in. That's now been attended to. The thing is, it's a working vehicle, they have owned it from new, 1998 and do not want to part with it. Just a good ol' reliable motor. They are worth the effort of been welded correctly.

My Amazon J100 originated from the Donny area, prior to one purchasing it from 'The Cruzzer King' in Mirfield. (I don't have an issue with him, happy with my machine as I knew what I was buying, a rusty Toyota in need of a second life). I will stick some pictures on here with another thread. We have done a lot of Land Cruiser chassis welding this last 12 month. We recently did a 90 because the fuel tank was leaking. A new tank from Milner Off-road but we ended up fabricating and fitting a new rear crossmember and the rear chassis above the axle. The next thing it started to crab because it tore the NSR tie bar mount from the axle, corrosion. Made a new mounting and it seemed happy until the clutch finally packed in. That's now been attended to. The thing is, it's a working vehicle, they have owned it from new, 1998 and do not want to part with it. Just a good ol' reliable motor. They are worth the effort of been welded correctly.
Yes, I did seen loads of cruisers for sale from mirfield, mine is actually from Littleover in Derbyshire, bought it last mid August, mine's from 98' too and I agree with you, they are worth it, very good value for money and running costs, mine runs so so smooth at those nearly 253k miles so I have faith that with my obsessive maintenance should last me for quite a while, chassis work has been done and it doesn't look like there's anything gonna need welding any time soon, I don't do any offroading either so she'll have an easy life with me.

Hi Alex,
theres a couple of Cruiser lads popping round this morning for a coffee and a chat ( one with a Collie) if you fancy a chinwag for an hour. I'm at S25 1YF. Can get yours on the ramp if you want a scootle underneath.

Morning Andy, I only just woke up recently, what time you guys gathering up?

Some pictures from today's gathering at Andy's, we had really nice weather, pleased to meet you Andy and the lads, looking forward to next one, maybe I'll bring my wax and gun to get it all done while on ramp

Attachments

• 20220522_162701.jpg
    20220522_162701.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220522_162513.jpg
    20220522_162513.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220522_162137.jpg
    20220522_162137.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220522_161909.jpg
    20220522_161909.jpg