Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello, with my (not so) cheap landcruiser

5charlie46

Country Flag
england
Hello all,

My name's Charlie and I realised a dream in November of purchasing an 80 series LC, I spent a fair amount of my childhood in rural France, with my old man running a business in the UK (car garage), he used to leave us down there with a landcruiser and/or W124 mercs, naturally I'm rather fond of them both.

I successfully scaremonged myself into buying one just as winter was arriving last year, telling myself it was bound to be a bad winter and basically a land cruiser was essential.

Being 23 and not particularly wealthy, I bought the cheapest diesel auto I could find, it's had a hard life, but is incredible rust free apart from 1 arch (underneath is lovely). I'm slowly putting the old girl right, I've had the fuel pump completely rebuilt, new water pump, cambelt, new rad, gearbox flushed, and fitted a new door and lower tailgate. currently struggling with the radio antenna (see ICE section)

It's next big journey is going to be taking me a 3 mates to Le mans 24hr this June. It needs a new tyres, not sure what to go for, wheels are heavily corroded so was debating on purchasing some steels...

Anyway enough of the ramble

Nice intro Charles, always good to have new members, especially mighty 80 owners :lol:, welcome to the club.

After 15 posts or so, you'll be able to treat us to some photos... :whistle:

Depending on the alloys, they may well shot blast and powder coat OK. Some powder coaters get concerned about loads of corrosion, others don't. Find someone local and have a chat with them.

Just seen you're in Brighton. There's a company near me in Chichester that powder coated mine for £30 each and weren't worried about the corrosion damage harming the process 'we know it bubbles up, they all do, we just deal with it'. There's two shot blasters nearby too. Post some pics when you can.

thanks Clive, not sure photos of mine are that much of a treat but you'll get them all the same ;)

Star Cruiser: Yeah, I think I'll split the bead on the wheels and take a look at the inside, if its all corroded in there, I'll get some steels, if its alright, I'll tidy them up probably go black to hide some imperfections

Welcome Charlie! Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Le Mans..... I will also be travelling down. Hopefully will be taking the my 80.... Will keep an eye out for u.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm not familiar with UK at all, but I have some USian alloys that are complete shit for corrosion. I simply knocked off the high spots with a flapper wheel on a grinder and then shot some Rust-oleum wheel paint on them (it's basically just sprayable rubber.) They turned out to be pretty good looking. I figure if they go bad every 6 months or so, it's back to the flapper wheel and some more wheel paint.

11301560_10205848950297389_789068163_n.jpg

So how's the Le Mans preparation going?

And where are the photos of the cruiser?

Back