Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello

Pbgbottle

Country Flag
canada
hey just wanted to say Hi
I'm Jake from Vancouver Canada
My vehicle is registered as a 1978 BJ40. But sad to say it is a mix of years and running a small block Chev 350 cid. Engine
Plans are to keep it forever.

Cheers.

Nothing sad about that I wouldn't wonder!

Welcome to the forum Jake, Tony will soon be along, he loves 40 in any shape or form :lol::lol:

Welcome Jake.

40s are for keeps!

Did you restore/build it yourself?

We went 4 wheeling in the Rockies when visiting our son in Alberta and very spectacular they are too.

Regards,

Alberta. Cool. Right next door. Sort of. Lol
Yes I built it myself. Ive been playing with these things now for 20-25 years.
The hobby has been slowing down for me the last few years as kids have taken over my time. They love the 40 also my youngest daughter 13yrs has also called dibs on the cruiser, so it will never be sold. :icon-biggrin:
Cheers

Hi Jake,

In Canadian terms Alberta is right next door! It is a big country. We also have a cousin who lives in Nanaimo, which is somewhat nearer to you.
Noticed the I8mud sticker on your truck, do you have a build up thread on there? Although ours was not a body-off rebuild we do have a thread on here - Evolution of our 40 - which you may find interesting as every build is different.
I have a buddy in Chicago who is looking for a Catalytic Converter for his 40 series with a 2F. I don't know if Canadian 2Fs were fitted with them but if so do you know where he could acquire one. We have been searching for sometime without success, plenty of aftermarket ones and Mr T's emporiums don't stock them these days.
Your youngest daughter obviously has great taste!

Regards,

Welcome. :thumbup:

Just seen some of your 40 pics (here) - that looks like it was fun. Any more? :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Jake and welcome here I come. With I love the 40':sweat:s all of them is that ok for you Clive :tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink:

Hi Jake and welcome here I come. With I love the 40':sweat:s all of them is that ok for you Clive :tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink:

Spot on Tony, I just love your enthusiasm :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Great photos of Jake's truck by the way, it looks superb!

Hi yes Clive it is one cool looking cruiser the wheels and tyres look a bit big for it that is just me.

Canada is huge ,:)
Nanaimo way closer , my mom lives on the island also ,
i don't get over there much but it is a beautiful place too
i can ask around about a catalytic converter im sure we had them here in the later years on our 40's

as for a build thread i have this ,not sure if it is a build thread
ih8mud ,shows some progression from over the years

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rotw-pbgbottle.187901/

Jake

Hi Jake,

In Canadian terms Alberta is right next door! It is a big country. We also have a cousin who lives in Nanaimo, which is somewhat nearer to you.
Noticed the I8mud sticker on your truck, do you have a build up thread on there? Although ours was not a body-off rebuild we do have a thread on here - Evolution of our 40 - which you may find interesting as every build is different.
I have a buddy in Chicago who is looking for a Catalytic Converter for his 40 series with a 2F. I don't know if Canadian 2Fs were fitted with them but if so do you know where he could acquire one. We have been searching for sometime without success, plenty of aftermarket ones and Mr T's emporiums don't stock them these days.
Your youngest daughter obviously has great taste!

Regards,

the jury is still out on the wheels and tires , im not sure if i like the look yet or not myself
but i do have to say the tires sure drive nice on and off the road
cheers

Hi yes Clive it is one cool looking cruiser the wheels and tyres look a bit big for it that is just me.

Hi Jake,

Just read the I8Mud thread and very good it is too. I really like the look of the widened stock wheels with the hub caps.
However I have a question: You moved the spring plate on your front springs. Did it affect the handling or were there any other adverse problems?
The reason I ask is that my rear springs, which are not from a 40,actually we haven't been able to identify what they came from, are flat and tired and I have acquired a pair from a 60 series but they are slightly too long and the prop shaft spline becomes exposed but the rear hangers are at a much better angle. So we are looking to re-drill the centre pins and move the location forward by around 1.5 inches. I have searched for info about whether the centre pin can be moved and any adverse effect but have found nothing constructive. I am assuming that it is the spring that needs to be re-drilled rather than the plate, otherwise the loading would be unbalanced although I don't know enough about physics to understand the implications.
If you could tell me what you did, it may well help me get mine sorted. Thank you.

Regards,

hey Rodger ,i have moved both my front and rear axles by drilling new holes in the spring perch on the axle .
i did this for that exact reason on the rear i did not want to source a shorter driveshaft ,so i moved the axle back to match the length of the driveshaft i had . i too am not sure of physics with the springs , but my understanding is that the spring pins primary job is to hold the spring together and to locate the axle in the proper location , i have noticed no adverse effects from moving the axle on the spring ,
the first time i did an axle relocation i re-drilled the main two leaves and then just relocated the rest of the springs to the new location, i did not re-drill all the individual leaves , one of the main leaves actually cracked through the original hole breaking the leaf in two after a few years so i decided against drilling them the second time , oh ya its hard to drill spring steel also by the way ,lol there for i just replaced the springs and re-drilled new location hole into the axle spring perch itself ,super easy , drill new hole where u want it and you also need to drill new hole in the U-bolt plate too .move axle to new locating hole and bolt her up ,my rear axle has been moved back about an inch on the new hole and i haven't noticed any adverse affects ,been like that for around 20 years or so,the front i did for a different reason , if you go too far forward on the front you will have issues with your steering components hitting or rubbing ,
not sure if that helped , im horrible at expressing my thoughts on a computer hahaha

cheers Jake

Hi Jake,

That is a brilliant idea and so much easier to achieve the required position. Thank you. I read the I8Mud thread as well.
It will be much easier to get the axle where it needs to be so that the splines are right and the wheel sits in the well properly. The old adage 'If it looks right, then it probably is'.
I had already spent out on some colbolt drill bits as well but they'll make drilling the perch and baseplate easy, well easier!

Cheers

Rodger

Back