Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello

Dennis Morehouse

Country Flag
united_states
Hello from Juniper Hills CA, USA

I'm new here and not experienced posting on forums; of any site. I joined this site (club) because I just bought a 1987 HJ60 with a rusted out frame. I've purchased a good frame from a 1983 FJ60. I intend to do a frame swap. I hope to do most of the work myself. I would like to make an expedition vehicle, with solar, frog, RTT, etc.

I'm a mechanical engineer by training, but have only worked in aerospace, mostly test planning. I have little experience in actual design, or frankly "real engineering." Prior to the BSME I got certification in a two year machine tool technology program, but never got a job as a machinist. I have not been on a lathe or mill for over 40 years and would probably lose a finger if I tried to use today.

I work on my own cars, (1993 Volvo 240, 1966 Ford F250, a few others) but do not consider myself a great mechanic, although I have rebuilt engines with my father who was a master mechanic.

I have a new TIG welder, and have never used it, and have all of four hours of training in TIG welding. I do have access to lots of very experienced machinist, welders, electricians at my work who can provide advice.

I hope to be of value to this community.

Dennis

Welcome Dennis sounds like a very worthwhile project would love to see some pictures of where you are with the project right now. The guys here are great not too knowledgeable about the 60 series myself but there are a few members here that I’m sure will be along soon to advise and help.

Thanks

Hello from Juniper Hills CA, USA

I'm new here and not experienced posting on forums; of any site. I joined this site (club) because I just bought a 1987 HJ60 with a rusted out frame. I've purchased a good frame from a 1983 FJ60. I intend to do a frame swap. I hope to do most of the work myself. I would like to make an expedition vehicle, with solar, frog, RTT, etc.

I'm a mechanical engineer by training, but have only worked in aerospace, mostly test planning. I have little experience in actual design, or frankly "real engineering." Prior to the BSME I got certification in a two year machine tool technology program, but never got a job as a machinist. I have not been on a lathe or mill for over 40 years and would probably lose a finger if I tried to use today.

I work on my own cars, (1993 Volvo 240, 1966 Ford F250, a few others) but do not consider myself a great mechanic, although I have rebuilt engines with my father who was a master mechanic.

I have a new TIG welder, and have never used it, and have all of four hours of training in TIG welding. I do have access to lots of very experienced machinist, welders, electricians at my work who can provide advice.

I hope to be of value to this community.

Dennis

Hi Dennis, that’s a challenge you’ve taken on, and a great intro, but if the body of the HJ60 is good, then it’s doable, even without too much hands-on experience, IMO.

You’ll soon learn to weld... :lol:

We all love photos, so some progress updates will be appreciated by most, so I suggest you start a new thread to record the project. It’s not only good for us, but it will serve as a diary of the project for you, to one day look back on.

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

Back