Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello

Slartybart

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Evening all, for those in the Northern hemisphere.
Currently driving a ‘new to me’ 20 year old (2002) LandCruiser across Europe. She’s a magnificent beast, cruising along the motorway like she’s brand new. Many thanks to the previous owner for kitting her out. Questions and pleas for help from you fellow forum members to follow, I’m sure. Thanks in advance for your help!

So far so good…… a much better journey after blowing up the tyres to 35psi from the 25 they’d been left at (BF Goodrich KO). Funnily enough at 25psi, while nice and comfortable, the car seemed to be using around a lite of fuel a mile……going to bump them up a bit before I set off tomorrow….. suggestions as to best amount for motorway miles welcome…….

Less air grips better offroad but on a motorway you don't need the extra grip , I never owned BFG but i'd guess about 40psi . Max psi will be written on the sidewall .

What size and what year tyres are those? If it's an LT tyre, 25 psi on the motorway is way way too low. Even then a lt/mile is insane. Something isn't working quite right.

Kind of hard to tell from your picture, but I would guess 270/70 ? Or 265/75? In which case it's not a LT tyre, and as @Shayne says start with 40psi loaded and check the tyre shape.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A mile a litre may have been an exaggeration… but when I tried to fill it up last night and the pump reached it’s limit of 100 litres (at a cost of £178) and the tank wasn’t yet full, you can forgive me, I’m sure. The max psi written on the the wall is 65, which seems a lot. I guess that’s when the vehicle is loaded to the limit and towing something heavy. I was going to try 40psi from cold tomorrow and see how I get on. I’ve 600 miles to do over the next two days, so I’ll get a feel for things. I’ve also got an compressor in the boot so I can do it before I set off in the morning. The tyre sizes are 275/70 R16s on (what I think are) stock alloys.

Back