Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help: Auto electrician needed - dashboard warning lights

dyladams

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Morning all,

Can anyone recommend a reasonable auto electrician in the South West London area who can look at my 80 series.

The dashboard currently looks like a Christmas tree with the warning lights on. I think it might be the the alternator as my batteries are now flat and the truck needs a jump start.

Added to this, the headlight brights are delayed when they come on. I thought this might be the relay which I replaced but no change.

I understand most mechanical / logical issues but this electrical gremlin is proving to be a headache.

Any advise will be very much appreciated.

I would suspect the alternator personally if all the warning lights came on suddenly while driving, if you have a multi meter you can check the voltage being put out by the alternator.
I know a very good auto electrician in Newport Pagnell near Milton Keynes, he is prepared to travel though I suspect south London would be a tad far.

I would second the alternator. Try pulling the plug off the back, check for corrosion and re fit. South London- I have a pal who rewinds loads of alternators based in Brixton. He may be able to supply you a replacement or the rectifiers and brushes can be replaced if you feel like it. Any good?

As above. Worth checking the plug that goes in to the alternator. In fact you can take the 3 terminals out of the back of the plug and bend the leaf springs inside to give a better contact. The wiring section in the WSM tells you how to take the plug apart. Then clean the 3 pins in the alternator.

Another cause of lights on the dash is a poor earth on one of the electrical ancillaries. This may well be evidenced by the failure of that ancillary. With me the rear wiper had stopped working and lights came on on the dash. I was VERY lucky to trace a poor earth inside the top tailgate.

For me, the stand out clue is that the batteries are dead. Warning lights say alternator not charging, counting down to failure. Batteries dead says alternator hasn't been charging for some time (since the lights came on). Though I take Frank's point above, I very much doubt it's a bad earth in this case, even on the battery itself.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the responses gents.

Great..... Looks like I might have an extra expense this Xmas.

Will make a few calls tomorrow. Is it worth looking at the rough trax or Miller alternators?

I've just had a word with my pal.
He's picking up units this morning and depending on location could pick yours up on his way through if you want and may even have one on the shelf but would certainly be able to get one to you.

He does lots of rebuilds for classic cars and that sort of thing along with the run of the mill stuff. I've had a starter motor on mine for the last 9 years after I set fire to my old one [emoji33] and an alternator from a company he supplies. Both have been faultless. They also have an excellent knowledge base and warranty.

Robson and Francis 020 7733 2353, ask for Mike, you'll probably speak to Devon who will get Mike to call in (dependent on your location).

Thanks SC. the only problem is I am at work and the alternator is still in the cruiser.

Thanks SC. the only problem is I am at work and the alternator is still in the cruiser.

I'm sure Mike could work a way round that if you call and talk to him. It was just an offer, not absolutely necessary to pick it up. If you're not far away (not that that is even an issue) I expect something can be done one way or another. Up to you but he's very helpful.

I would fit a genuine Toyota/Denso alternator, I replaced mine on the 100 last year and the Toyota replacment was £197+vat.
I too had a lot of lights on the dash un-related to the charging system and a new alterator sorted them, I would imagine that if you are not getting full battery voltage it will be causing other electrical gremlins.
Sort the charging out before chasing any other problems.

Back