Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help! Fuel tank

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Right guys advice sought. So filled the 80 last night and while parked at work today we noticed a strong petrol smell!!! My fuel tank has gone through on the top, leaking quite a bit too.

Options are a used tank if can find a petrol one.

Milner's list one,
Toyota will want a kidney

Or an appealing option is a long range direct replacement main tank but looks to be Aus or USA!

Has anyone fitted a main tank long range item or have any recommendations?

Going to drain out as much as possible tomorrow at work and get it home.

Right guys advice sought. So filled the 80 last night and while parked at work today we noticed a strong petrol smell!!! My fuel tank has gone through on the top, leaking quite a bit too.

Options are a used tank if can find a petrol one.

Milner's list one,
Toyota will want a kidney

Or an appealing option is a long range direct replacement main tank but looks to be Aus or USA!

Has anyone fitted a main tank long range item or have any recommendations?

Going to drain out as much as possible tomorrow at work and get it home.
Hellfire ! Good luck with that Gary, just draining some is a big task. Plenty of sealable containers needed there,
I drained some out of an estate car once, used everything I could find in garage, plus bucket and washing up bowl

Gary for best advice it would be a good idea to drain and take the tank out to view the leaking issue.
It may be repairable and a cheap fix before deciding on other options.

It'll get drained at work tomorrow, have enough fuel cans for 70 litres.

I've considered repair etc but if can get a long range tank, I've got more chance of the wife agreeing to it then any other time! Good job fuel is cheap currently

Did @Chas not have a long range one for a petrol 80 for sale previously?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It'll get drained at work tomorrow, have enough fuel cans for 70 liters.

I've considered repair etc but if you can get a long-range tank, I've got more chance of the wife agreeing to it then any other time! Good job fuel is cheap currently

The long-range tank is a great upgrade. Not a cheap option and yet a lot of work to fit and work right from my experience. I have a mixed OEM / custom one fitted personal and it wasn't cheap and easy. Known better wouldn't have gone down this route. Rather would get an upgraded on to replace 90 liters model instead.

P.s wouldnt personally recommend not having a mid tank and to replace for a larger tank on the rear if thats your plan because of additional permanent weight.

Can get main tank direct replacements with bigger capacity but not cheap and not uk.

If it's an option I'd rather do that then a 2nd tank. Not sure if anyone has done that here though?

Glad I noticed it tbh as could've been a call to the insurance!! By the location it's the seam that's gone tbh!

Saw a pinholed tank repaired on a Wheeler Dealers episode by soldering a patch over the leak. The tank was drained, removed and steam cleaned inside to remove any traces of fuel vapour before preparing and tinning the area to be patched.
If you’re fancying a new bigger tank though, best tell the Mrs the old one is scrap.:thumbup:

Bad news Gary. That's a pain. It's deffo the tank is it not filler or feeders etc?
Problem with a lot of add on tanks is that they are additional to the main tank and that means that they tend to go at the back and use space where the spare normally goes. I like the idea of a replacement but larger capacity tank which means you keep all of your existing gubbins. Obviously I know you're a very capable chap and could cope with any kind of install, but it just gets more expensive. If you genuinely want more capacity, I would suggest going with either a repair or a replacement tank and then fit the 65L factory subtank. I know you like laning and some of these big tanks can really get caught up on things

Bad news Gary. That's a pain. It's deffo the tank is it not filler or feeders etc?
Problem with a lot of add on tanks is that they are additional to the main tank and that means that they tend to go at the back and use space where the spare normally goes. I like the idea of a replacement but larger capacity tank which means you keep all of your existing gubbins. Obviously I know you're a very capable chap and could cope with any kind of install, but it just gets more expensive. If you genuinely want more capacity, I would suggest going with either a repair or a replacement tank and then fit the 65L factory subtank. I know you like laning and some of these big tanks can really get caught up on things
:text-goodpost:

It's non of the Gubbins that bolts into the tank, had the endoscope in and its dry, looks like the seam has gone annoyingly!! Had limited time at work to investigate as had to get a car finished and back on the road.

It's on the ramp with a large drip tray below it and fuel just dripping away!

Milner's would be about £500 delivered to the door for a bare tank, special order.

Used one £160 delivered.
I'll end up needing a filler pipe as we know these jobs escalate!!

The thought was go bigger while the spanners are out and I can get it signed off (definitely a safety item this time)
but no UK option, $1000 to $1600 plus getting one here.
A 2nd tank is the popular choice for a reason I reckon.
The cost isn't an issue it's the practicality and logistics.

On a plus while i had the back seats out and carpet up i found £1.50 :)

@Chris Looking at pictures of the ones available that was a thought about it being lower, if someone had one and said not an issue it's a plus point.

I fitted a different tank to my isuzu back in the day.

@Chas not have a long range one for a petrol 80 for sale previously?
[/QUOTE]
I did but it was sold.

It's non of the Gubbins that bolts into the tank, had the endoscope in and its dry, looks like the seam has gone annoyingly!! Had limited time at work to investigate as had to get a car finished and back on the road.

Milner's would be about £500 delivered to the door for a bare tank, special order.

Used one £160 delivered.

The thought was go bigger while the spanners are out and I can get it signed off (definitely a safety item this time)

@Chris Looking at pictures of the ones available that was a thought about it being lower, if someone had one and said not an issue it's a plus point.

It's one of those jobs Gary that needs to be taken apart then access the options. Tend to feel its more work to drain and take apart and off then itself for repair that may not be costly rather a cheap fix. Anything is fixable with the right know-how and skill level.

There's one original OEM Toyota rear sub-tank (55 liters) with all accessories for a good price of £550. Bargain if interested Gary.

Either way, I'm sure you'll still have to address the main tank leak beforehand.

Used one £160 delivered.

I think there's a post someware on here about the seam leaking on fuel tank, from uHu I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen that sub tank on Ebay.

Well the wife didn't say much when mentioned price of a long range direct replacement.
She said worse places to find out its leaking!

I'll hopefully know more tomorrow and save some fuel. Will start early at work and finish early! Got fuel cans ready to take to work.

Another possible option, as the tank is not an unusual shape, a Sprinter van plastic tank? Or another big van plastic tank like an Iveco daily? They would need the diesel cleaning out, but you may be able to fit 2 tanks in, using the space in the 'void' in front of the fuel tank and to the left of the gearbox?

My RR fell off the jack and an axle stand went straight through the bottom of the tank! Easy repaired with fibreglass but if you have joints or corrosion to repair that would be difficult. Fibreglass still OK after 6 years when I sold it. Draining a tank to remove all traces of petrol is a bit risky as petrol/air mix is extremely explosive, better to leave a bit in.

Back